The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I am less concerned with Adeloye re-signing than I was about Dempsey and Murdoch. Getting really good central midfielders is a lot harder to get than a decent forward.

Although if we were to go in to the season with Ashford, Bryden and McKenzie as the forwards we better be keeping clean sheets 

I dunno if I agree with the first bit. Our well documented central midfield woes these last three years started with Docherty not being replaced, Kerr not playing himself and then Hopkin not bothering his arse to sign any central midfielders. The players were obviously out there, otherwise we wouldn't have signed McInroy and Dempsey in January.

I think a striker hitting 10+ league goals (or 1 goal every 2 games/180 mins) a season is harder to find then a competent central midfielder. The fact only 4 players in the Championship were close to 1 goal in 2 games sort of proves that point. We also haven't had one in the intervening period between Shankland and Adeloye.

I agree with the second bit though. Those three can't be the pool of forwards. 

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Cove signed a 35 year old defender based in the North East.

A 30 year old midfielder based in the north east who went part time because he couldn’t train full time

Queens Park signed Simon Murray, who was heading to part time football and wasn’t in the top 3 goal scorers at his club. What makes you think he is earning a fortune? 

Or does this come down to Morton fans yearning for Bob McHugh again? 

How does Dom Thomas leaving Dunfermline for Queen's Park fit into this?

You can debate the relative merits of the Queen's Park squad, and FWIW I agree that unless they make significant upgrades on that starting XI they'll start the season as relegation favourites. None of this changes the fact that many of their players signed for them over Championship clubs because they're paying more money than many Championship clubs.

23 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The last I checked, Queens Park were in the league above Dunfermline? Even if they hadn't won the play-offs, would you rather play for Owen Coyle or John Hughes?

Anyway, things are getting serious now. At least three defenders, at least one goalscorer, and McInroy, and then just a lot of training to be goodererer at football. Sorted.

24 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You can debate the relative merits of the Queen's Park squad, and FWIW I agree that unless they make significant upgrades on that starting XI they'll start the season as relegation favourites. None of this changes the fact that many of their players signed for them over Championship clubs because they're paying more money than many Championship clubs.

Location also plays a part. £700 a week at Queens Park or £1100 a week at Inverness and you live in Paisley or East Kilbride. Do you move for a. Extra £400 a week, drive to Inverness 2-3 days a week maybe in a car pool? 

When you are at this level of Scottish football, more and more teams are outside the central belt. Dom Thomas at a guess is £1000 a week at the very most. Maybe a longer term deal with less travel assuming he’s Glasgow based was a better option than a year at Morton or Partick or Inverness or Ayr. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Wonder if Muirhead had signed back in January given their post mentions a pre contract.

It’s still a pre-contract now though, surely? I think most contracts run to the end of May or something like that so we won’t actually have him signed until after that.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I dunno if I agree with the first bit. Our well documented central midfield woes these last three years started with Docherty not being replaced, Kerr not playing himself and then Hopkin not bothering his arse to sign any central midfielders. The players were obviously out there, otherwise we wouldn't have signed McInroy and Dempsey in January.

Kerr helped with keeping the ball and spreading the play about, you can only do that if you have the ball. We were completely overran in midfield with just Chalmers and Murdoch. Muirhead could tackle but he couldn’t break up play or push onrushing players wide, he didn’t help with protecting the back 4 at all.

We struggled before Docherty as well. When he was injured for a while when we won the league, our form dipped even with Murdoch, Crawford and Adams in there. 

Adeloye is a decent forward, he doesn’t do a lot but scores goals with very little service, Much like Brian Graham. The problem we had last season was no one else was scoring goals. If you had McInroy, Maxell, McKenzie and Ashford chipping in with 10 goals each from midfield I doubt Adeloye would be held in such high regard as he is currently. 

Id rather keep him than lose him but we didn’t achieve much last season because of the problems behind Adeloye that need fixed and Dempsey is hopefully a big part of that. 

Especially if the rumoured signing of Greg Stewart is also true. I'm sure that'll also be down to him happening to own a flat in the Southside of Glasgow or something like that, rather than the wheelbarrows of money arriving at his bank on a weekly basis.

Sad to see big Aero away gave 110% every time and will be missed, played regularly when not fully fit not like others I could mention, spirit and attitude is hard to replace, played regularly out of position b4 Bullen realised his best was centre half speaking to his Dad regularly he was really pissed off about always being the one to play out of position but always did when asked. I accept there’s better out there but think he’d been told he wasn’t first choice and that’s why he’s away to thistle, on 600 so would probably have bettered that also at thistle who tried to sign him in January.

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Very much enjoying Ayr fans pretending that Queens Park don't really have much money, actually...

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You mean the one singular Ayr fan?

it’s funny how it’s only Morton fans temperate that rises every time it’s mentioned as well. 

I didn’t say they weren’t going to spend “wheelbarrow loads of money” I said they hadn’t along with Cove and the signings were very much in line with where they were and where they wanted to go. None were ludicrous signings that were breaking the bank.

I said earlier on this thread that I wondered if that would change now they were up a league.

Dom Thomas is not going to return to the Premier league, he is a good Championship player but he played for a team that fell out the arse end of this league so they haven’t signed A player that will secure them a league title. 

20 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

it’s funny how it’s only Morton fans temperate that rises every time it’s mentioned as well. 

My temperate is fine, thanks...

Just realistic enough to accept that they will recruit aggressively and, under Coyle, very probably perform to the level their budget would suggest..

21 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

they haven’t signed A player that will secure them a league title. 

No one's said they have... but, as above, there's every chance they sign a number of players that will get them into the top half.

This league's going to be absolutely brutal next year, with just about every team starting with the objective of making sure they don't get into trouble.

Dempsey was top of my wish list so very happy that we've secured him on a long term deal.

Any one of McInroy or Adeloye would be a big bonus but either way we probably still need 2 strikers and at least one creative ball playing midfielder plus 2 CH's and 2 full backs.

Still, it's looking good so far !