The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I rate centre forwards on their goal scoring ability. One goal every 500 minutes might be OK for a midfielder (e.g. Maxwell has that stat) but for me I expect a lot better from someone playing in the CF position.
That's not to say he can't do a job for the team in another position but for me I just don't see him as a good choice at centre forward.
Clearly he'll bang in 20 goals next season for us now!!

How do you rate Moffat since we came back to the Championship?

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Out of all the players offered new deals the only one we can really have any great complaints about is Jack Baird, that is a weird one. I personally would of offered anything to Muirhead or Moffat either but can certainly understand why they have been offered a deal. 

Baird’s offer I believe is a good bit less than  previous deal , offering all players deals to maintain a squad is important but I think majority of last seasons fringe players will be on greatly reduced terms 

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
2 hours ago, D said:
Jack McMillan and Craig Sibbald both leaving Livingston in the summer to get first team football. Get them in.

Sibbald must be touted every window.

We've been missing a player who gets touted every window since Islam Feruz and Derek Riordan retired.

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

The one thing Bullen  has emphasised (and the backroom in general since they started getting their act together) is professionalism and continuity. Bullen will have been used to working at Wednesday where there was money to avoid three quarters of your team leaving for free every season, and I expect that's where the club wants to be. And you have to start somewhere, s a good place to start is with the players you already have signed up for next season anyway.

Step two is getting them to be good at football of course.

Ah I see where this falls down. 

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ashford ain't a 10 like Moffat though. He is definitely more of a wide attacker than a centre forward. I don't think that's being harsh on him. We need to move away from square pegs in round holes.

Continuity is important when you've had a successful season. Retaining 80% of a squad which finished 8th for the second season in a row is a bit bizarre. Retain a core of 6/7 by all means but not the vast majority.

These five additions all need to be successful and starting 11 players otherwise I fear it could be a third 8th place finish in a row.

We've either signed or made offers to 22 players. 19 if you exclude Bilham, Jeanes and Ecrepont. Of those 19/22 the good ones haven't actually committed yet. Which worries me.

That said, if McInroy, Adeloye and Murdoch sign then I'll feel a bit more confident. 

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re also trying to get a pre season friendly sorted with Sheffield Wednesday.

Hopefully at Somerset! A slight upgrade from last seasons friendly v Burnely under 23's ...then the following days of folk saying which of their players we should sign on loan 🙄

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Is the Burnley partnership still a hing or did we patch it?

Not been a word about it in a long time afaik.  Hopefully it's gone. 

12 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
33 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:
We've been missing a player who gets touted every window since Islam Feruz and Derek Riordan retired.

Remember when the SRE facebook page thought we were actually signing Feruz and El Alagui rocked up fun times

Someone also made a fake Islam Feruz twitter that said he was joining Ayr. 

29 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Ah I see where this falls down. 

Well, quite. But a club that is at least trying to be properly-run might have more luck finding future managers outside of the mediocrities that rotate around this level most of the time.

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Retaining 80% of a squad which finished 8th for the second season in a row is a bit bizarre.

It's not as if the team that finished this season all started the previous one to be fair. This is only really one season's worth of jobbers, and the manager only had them for a little over half of that.

Edited by Thumper

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don't think CF has been the position where his contribution to the team is strongest.

For Ashford, maybe he can contribute more in a wider position (I haven't been at the games where he has been played in that position so I don't have a view on that either way) but my point is that I don't think we should be looking at him as a centre forward for next season based on what I have seen and his goals return. I have seen him getting into very good positions but his finishing for whatever reason hasn't been good enough. I think we have seen enough of Tomi to know that he will easily score more than last season in a Bullen team, so the task is to find another CF who can get into double figures and we will be looking up rather than down.