The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

It's quite nice to have the goal keeping situation sorted early it's not that long ago we were brining on Ross Doohan the day before the first league Cup game.

Speaking of Doohan, I find it quite amusing that he's now at Tranmere, who were originally known as... Belmont.

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

It's quite nice to have the goal keeping situation sorted early it's not that long ago we were brining on Ross Doohan the day before the first league Cup game.

Even just last season we started the League Cup opener without a keeper on the bench so had to finish it with an injured McAdams.   

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Hopefully Ashford is used more as a wide player cause his finishing is up there with Martyn Campbell but he's quite effective out wide. 

I can only hope this is the case too since as I have said before Ashford is abysmal as a centre forward. I am looking forward to seeing who they have lined up to play alongside Tomi.

8 hours ago, rgreig said:

I can only hope this is the case too since as I have said before Ashford is abysmal as a centre forward. I am looking forward to seeing who they have lined up to play alongside Tomi.

I think that’s harsh tbh. He isn’t an out and out finisher but he is a good support striker as he makes good runs, makes space for others  and creates opportunities for others. I do prefer him wide but wouldn’t call him abysmal just he isn’t a clinical finisher 

Signing up the majority of this squad on two year deals really gives me the fear going forward, week to week you didn’t know what team was turning up particularly at home. Hope to be proved wrong but I think we will be struggling unless there is some quality signed in the summer.

Mathie saying we’re looking to bring in around five new players to add to the squad and we remain in talks with everyone out of contract. No mention at all of Maxwell so I’m guessing we’re either not pursuing him or he’s away somewhere else. Can’t say I’m overly fussed with that.

We’re also trying to get a pre season friendly sorted with Sheffield Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Lochwood said:

Signing up the majority of this squad on two year deals really gives me the fear going forward, week to week you didn’t know what team was turning up particularly at home. Hope to be proved wrong but I think we will be struggling unless there is some quality signed in the summer.

The one thing Bullen  has emphasised (and the backroom in general since they started getting their act together) is professionalism and continuity. Bullen will have been used to working at Wednesday where there was money to avoid three quarters of your team leaving for free every season, and I expect that's where the club wants to be. And you have to start somewhere, s a good place to start is with the players you already have signed up for next season anyway.

Step two is getting them to be good at football of course.

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

It is a perfect formula if the players you have signed are good enough and will get better. On that basis I have no concerns about signing the majority of last seasons squad on three year deals.

image.gif.dfb89fe1e5256685f5201a9680b1662c.gif

Another point is that plenty of clubs around this level are run by imbeciles. If your players are in contract, then opponents who think they're being clever by poaching them will have a pay a fee. And then this happens.

Joe Chalmers scored an own goal

Another point is that plenty of clubs around this level are run by imbeciles. If your players are in contract, then opponents who think they're being clever by poaching them will have a pay a fee. And then this happens.
0_Dunfermline-Athletic-v-Queen-of-the-South-Scottish-Championship-Friday-29-April-2022.jpg

Having an imbecile on the level of “Yogi” come along and give us actual legal tender for Joe Chalmers feels like a once in a blue moon kinda thing.

6 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I think that’s harsh tbh. He isn’t an out and out finisher but he is a good support striker as he makes good runs, makes space for others  and creates opportunities for others. I do prefer him wide but wouldn’t call him abysmal just he isn’t a clinical finisher 

I rate centre forwards on their goal scoring ability. One goal every 500 minutes might be OK for a midfielder (e.g. Maxwell has that stat) but for me I expect a lot better from someone playing in the CF position.

That's not to say he can't do a job for the team in another position but for me I just don't see him as a good choice at centre forward.

Clearly he'll bang in 20 goals next season for us now!!

Out of all the players offered new deals the only one we can really have any great complaints about is Jack Baird, that is a weird one. I personally would of offered anything to Muirhead or Moffat either but can certainly understand why they have been offered a deal.