The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He had sectarian abuse and abuse about his wife hurled at him. Fair play to him for reacting the way he did. 

Given that he's a protestant who played for Rangers, it's difficult enough to come up with anything that might even fit this category, and impossible once you discount the bits that are true.

57 minutes ago, North British said:

I see Sheffield Wednesday have freed 9 lads from their U23 squad . Wonder if Bully is interested in any of them .

People should just wildly assume that Ayr will have first picks of all of them. That was fun last summer.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Apart from it not just being a random assumption of course...

I don't even remember what was said officially about the Burnley connection but I do remember being astounded that people were producing team sheets with three or four of their best academy talents in them.

No doubt Bullen will leverage his connections when necessary but to be honest the u23s for a club who might be in the English Championship next season is a bit of a stretch. Ayr's hunting ground last season was the fifth and sixth tiers.

Don’t know about freed under 23 but I would love to see Barry bannan  brought home as player/ assistant manager, would walk this league at his age and would make young smith and Hewitt into great players with his experience

Don’t know about freed under 23 but I would love to see Barry bannan  brought home as player/ assistant manager, would walk this league at his age and would make young smith and Hewitt into great players with his experience
Would be amazing but seriously we ain't getting bannan lmao he will get move to championship in England

Far more likely Graham Dorrans than Barry Bannan tbh. Also it horrifies me now to see that there's only three years between them, having still not really internalised that Bannan isn't in his early 20s.

So that’s Ashford here for 3 years now? Sorted for goalkeepers as well. I quite like Albinson. He’s less of a brilliant shot stopper like McAdams and is better at commanding his box imo.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

So that’s Ashford here for 3 years now? Sorted for goalkeepers as well. I quite like Albinson. He’s less of a brilliant shot stopper like McAdams and is better at commanding his box imo.

Interesting wrt. Ashford. Hopefully he is played out wide rather than through the middle.

I'm not sure Albinson is that much better at commanding his area than McAdams. His communication with the defence is next to none. That goal him and McGinty conspired to concede against Arbroath was right up there with Ruddy and Hart. A good backup option but I can't see him being number 1.

McAdams most obvious weakness is long shots. With coaching that should get better. Also with some more savvy defending - not giving away needless fouls on edge of the box and not giving the opposition acres of space and time on the edge of the box.

33 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Ashford was already signed up. He’s signed a two year extension. 

Yeah, he was signed up for 18 months so to end of the 22/23 season.

I'm not sure if he's now signed up to 23/24 (2 years) or 24/25 (3 years)? 

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So fair chance we're trying to get majority of the squad on 2/3 year deals. Really could go one of two extreme ways.

I'm still hoping for some more releases.

Hopefully, some who have offers have been told they would be backup at best and will opt to move elsewhere for regular football.

I'll also feel a lot more confident if Adeloye signs. 

So this is the state of play so far:

Currently signed:

Goalkeepers: McAdams, Albinson

Defenders: Houston, McGinty, Ecrepont*, Bilham*, Jeannes*

Midfeilders: McAllister, Smith, Hewitt

Forwards: McKenzie, Ashford, Bryden

Waiting to hear from:

Reading, Murdoch, Dempsey, Moffat**, Baird, O'Connor, Muirhead, Adelyoe, McInroy

*Reserve/youth players

**Coaching role/reserve player

I wouldn't be surprised to still see McAllister leave unless he was to have a good season, and still think we will bring in a right back if Hosuton is out for 8 weeks.