The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Hopefully, worth remembering he only turned 21 in January and didn’t have a pre-season. Played under two managers in three different positions (RM, RB and CM) but said when he signed he preferred playing CB.

Like you said Rose was a similar age when he signed and I imagine they’ll be a few posts on here doubting his ability after his first season. Similarly Daniel Harvie had a bit of an up and down season before kicking on in his second season and Nicky Devlin was released by Stenhousemuir a few months before he turned 21.

Apart from him starting most games at Clyde I wasn't sure how he got on but he seemed to be playing in midfield. Not an area where he'd be a starter for us though.

McAllister at least had the odd thing going for him, good aggression, leap and an unbelievable ability to throw himself head first into any kind of aerial challenge. He seemed to lose all confidence and was Houston like in his performances though - poor on the ball and one on one defensively. I actually thought he looked very promising on his debut against Dundee United!

As you say though, he is still young and has shown he is a decent league one player so there may be something there!

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Love big Jamie but I’m sure I remember him playing in the game at Dingwall that killed off our title hopes.

I’ll go before I piss on any more bonfires.

Pretty sure he played in the slaughter at Palmerston where Dobbie and Dykes ripped us a new one. The one with the pitch invader.

Pretty sure he played in the slaughter at Palmerston where Dobbie and Dykes ripped us a new one. The one with the pitch invader.
I was driving back from Cornwall that day with my Killie supporting father in law spent the whole journey down bragging about our great start to the season and then the Palmerston jinx kicked in was a long drive back.

Been working at elections all day so only just seeing the list. We have 12 players signed up just now. if the 10 players who have been offered contracts/in negotiations sign then that takes us to 22. Even although I suspect the likes of Jeanes and Bilham will be loaned out we aren’t really giving ourselves much room for additions which we undoubtably need. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact that VOR announced that we’ve released players but the club haven’t said anything makes me think Bullen hasn’t spoken to everyone yet and a couple more might be leaving.

Every player out of contract have been spoken too ,those with no future have been told and offers have been made to players we want to keep , I believe they have a tight timescale to give answers , every player was at Somerset over Sunday and Monday with Bullen and Mathie at an individual meeting 

11 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I don't know what others think but i don't believe that Houston has ever been the same player since Kelly left. They seemed to be good pals and they also seemed to have a good understanding on the pitch, it was almost as if Houston came out of his shell when Kelly was around, however since Kelly has gone he's looked like little boy lost at times and seems to be very shy / quiet as a person both on and off the pitch.

I really don't know what the answer is, but he does obviously show something in training which made both Rangers and various Ayr Managers think that he was worth a shot.

He’s not been anyway near to his best since the long lay off with injury , wonder  if there is an underlying issue with that as he is now again again with an injury which was going to keep him out for around 8 weeks 

Both full backs have went from attacking wing backs to full backs, Reading has coped slightly better but gave a few goals away over the season, normally because he was sleeping when deep crosses came in from the right. He doesn’t get forward very much, which is a shame because he can put in good crosses. 

Houston was largely fine this season, probably because he isn’t being played as a wing back and he is only being asked to defend his performances were defined by his occasional defensive mistakes rather than the usual, he is good going forward but his defensive side of the game needs work.

If we are bringing in a second right back then we need one that sits in a back 4. 

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Both full backs have went from attacking wing backs to full backs, Reading has coped slightly better but gave a few goals away over the season, normally because he was sleeping when deep crosses came in from the right. He doesn’t get forward very much, which is a shame because he can put in good crosses. 

Houston was largely fine this season, probably because he isn’t being played as a wing back and he is only being asked to defend his performances were defined by his occasional defensive mistakes rather than the usual, he is good going forward but his defensive side of the game needs work.

If we are bringing in a second right back then we need one that sits in a back 4. 

Houston struggled all season, he was pretty rank every time I saw him. Any time he got forward he never beat the first man with his cross. He needs to be no more than a squad player next season and the player replacing him needs to be better. 

out of the two full backs I’d much rather reading than houston 

Aye, Houston was largely horrific with a decent performance every six games or so. His sheer panic every time he received the ball the worst thing about him! 

Reading is absolutely miles in front of him - we saw how effective he can be going forward when he was actually allowed past the half way line against Partick.

Edited by No_Problemo

19 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned but saw Mikey Miller had signed permanently for Stenhousemuir

I quite liked him, was absolutely a squad player at this level but couldn't fault his efforts. Hope the move works out well for him and he can get back into full time football once his degree is done. 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Houston struggled all season, he was pretty rank every time I saw him. Any time he got forward he never beat the first man with his cross. He needs to be no more than a squad player next season and the player replacing him needs to be better. 

out of the two full backs I’d much rather reading than houston 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye, Houston was largely horrific with a decent performance every six games or so. His sheer panic every time he received the ball the worst thing about him! 

Reading is absolutely miles in front of him - we saw how effective he can be going forward when he was actually allowed past the half way line. 

Got to agree with this, being brutally honest Houston offered little going forward, his positional sense was atrocious at times and defensively on a one on one basis he was pretty dreadful and he was also far too easily bullied and shoved off the ball.

He's still a young player and I hate being critical but it definitely needs told as it is.

Full backs can be very limited if the player in front of them offers nothing. Houston’s best game this season was probably away to Dunfermline when O’Connor finally started a game in front of him.

If Muirhead signs then I think he might start off as our first choice right back but Houston is a decent back up.