The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

This is my fear. All well and good saying we’ll sign 3 or 4 and everything will be fine and dandy. Just as much chance of those 3 or 4 being as shite/shiter than the ones they’re supposed to be replacing. 

Nah, don't see that, plus we'll have cover in any case.

This is my fear. All well and good saying we’ll sign 3 or 4 and everything will be fine and dandy. Just as much chance of those 3 or 4 being as shite/shiter than the ones they’re supposed to be replacing. 
There's always an element of lottery.

Jack Baird came highly recommended and most fans felt we'd get a great defender. At the same time, plenty were underwhelmed when we signed shankland.

Football is weird sometimes.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

Why is Moffat getting offered a new deal at 37 having scored four league goals in the last three years?

He is staying on as a fitness coach, but they are keeping him registered as a player for emergencies.  Will play for our reserves.  Unless it's an emergency he won't be involved in match day squads.  

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He is staying on as a fitness coach, but they are keeping him registered as a player for emergencies.  Will play for our reserves.  Unless it's an emergency he won't be involved in match day squads.  

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

He’s going to be coaching but they want him signed as a player in case of emergencies 

Makes more sense now, cheers.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s the difference between McInroy and Adeloye and the rest of the players that we’ve offered contracts to?

Have those two turned down initial offers and we’re trying to negotiate?

Would also presume that we’re making an effort to get Maxwell back next season based on VOR tweet?

There is probably an element of negotiation but they are near enough also the two players who the fans want most to sign. Money might not be the main issue and they are probably waiting on other offers. It probably won't go down well if they don't sign on so perhaps a bit of of stage management happening too. 

On 04/05/2022 at 12:34, Iain said:

This is almost as cringey as the "We love chairman Dave" tweet from earlier in the season. Is it normal for a club to thank their manager for a few results as though he's doing them a favour? Feels weird to me.

The other issue with this post is that Bullen didn't win six league games. The win against Raith Rovers was before he arrived.

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Once our Midfield got sorted it shored up our defence and pretty much coincided with the good form of McGinty. The right side with Houston and McKenzie was undoubtedly our weak point but Ashford playing wide made a huge difference and Muirhead was most definitely a major upgrade on Houston.

There is no doubt the defence got better in second half of the season. We conceded 32 goals in first 18 games. We then conceded 20 goals in the second 18 games.

The 2018/19 team conceded 38 goals in 38 games. That second half of this season isn't a kick in the balls off of that, it would be 40 goals conceded in 38 games. The defence isn't as bad as it was. I'd still be looking for upgrades though.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

There is no doubt the defence got better in second half of the season. We conceded 32 goals in first 18 games. We then conceded 20 goals in the second 18 games.

The 2018/19 team conceded 38 goals in 38 games. That second half of this season isn't a kick in the balls off of that, it would be 40 goals conceded in 38 games. The defence isn't as bad as it was. I'd still be looking for upgrades though.

A new RB is a must and a new CH but other than that we should have enough cover.

Taking Coll Donaldson as an example, most fans would have jumped at someone like him, however he's looked an utter donkey playing for Dunfermline and his distribution last night was worse than big Seans.

I think we maybe need to accept that anyone who we rate as "good" isn't going to be anywhere near the Scottish Championship as a level, not unless they're inexperienced and on an upward curve or appear as damaged goods from elsewhere.

Just a sign of the times I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The problem with the defence is when it goes wrong it tends to be an enormous brain fart moment that sticks in the back of the mind. So no matter how well they do, that is what is remembered by most. 

We were told by St Mirren and Morton fans that Baird would do well when playing alongside an experienced head to talk him through the game.

We then proceeded to release Stevie Bell with no replacement.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We were told by St Mirren and Morton fans that Baird would do well when playing alongside an experienced head to talk him through the game.

We then proceeded to release Stevie Bell with no replacement.

Tbf Bell wanted to leave as he didn’t want full time football

31 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Taking Coll Donaldson as an example, most fans would have jumped at someone like him, however he's looked an utter donkey playing for Dunfermline and his distribution last night was worse than big Seans

I though that Paul Watson would have fitted in at Ayr after being released by Dunfermline. Could've Played Alongside Baird, to talk him through the game.

Obviously, he went to Falkirk and McGinty started pulling his weight.

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

A new RB is a must and a new CH but other than that we should have enough cover.

Taking Coll Donaldson as an example, most fans would have jumped at someone like him, however he's looked an utter donkey playing for Dunfermline and his distribution last night was worse than big Seans.

I think we maybe need to accept that anyone who we rate as "good" isn't going to be anywhere near the Scottish Championship as a level, not unless they're inexperienced and on an upward curve or appear as damaged goods from elsewhere.

Just a sign of the times I'm afraid.

By all accounts Donaldson has been very good for Dunfermline...

I obviously haven’t seen much of him, other than him struggling against Tomi. 

Its small margins accross the board.  Up until about a month ago the right hand side was, other than a couple of rare exceptions, the massive weak link every single week with Houston and McKenzie.   All of a sudden O'connor coming in for McKenzie made us look a bit better going forward.  Now imagine we got lucky like we did before and stumbled across a right back of Liam Smith's ability from somewhere.  All of a sudden you've got on paper a pretty strong right hand side and only signed one player.   

That said, Houston being given that extension a few months ago does make me worry that a right back isn't actually on the shopping list but the point still stands 🤣

Re Centre backs - I'd love to see us sign one more but as someone has stated I'm not convinced many are out there.  Even this season as an example we've seen plenty teams with supposedly far superior centre backs to us seem absolutely incapable of coping with Adeloye, who plenty on here wouldn't even have down as good enough to start for a side that finished 8th...

Bullen is obviously backing himself to get more out of certain players and that's a big decision to make.  In the grand scheme of things, yes he can get rid of a Baird, or a Muirhead, but will their replacements as a squad player be any better, when Bullen knows how they are performing just now to where he thinks he can get them?  I think they are the only 2 out of contracts that are debatable to whether they should be offered a new contract.  Out of the current contracted players, around 4 of (Bilham, Jeannes, Ecrepont and McAllister) wont see much if any game time and may/probably will be loaned out so that brings the squad size down.  Houston, I'm hoping will benefit from having a regular winger in front of him who he can build a relationship with, this season has been a bit mixed for him.

17 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Bullen is obviously backing himself to get more out of certain players and that's a big decision to make.  In the grand scheme of things, yes he can get rid of a Baird, or a Muirhead, but will their replacements as a squad player be any better, when Bullen knows how they are performing just now to where he thinks he can get them?  I think they are the only 2 out of contracts that are debatable to whether they should be offered a new contract.  Out of the current contracted players, around 4 of (Bilham, Jeannes, Ecrepont and McAllister) wont see much if any game time and may/probably will be loaned out so that brings the squad size down.  Houston, I'm hoping will benefit from having a regular winger in front of him who he can build a relationship with, this season has been a bit mixed for him.

I don't know what others think but i don't believe that Houston has ever been the same player since Kelly left. They seemed to be good pals and they also seemed to have a good understanding on the pitch, it was almost as if Houston came out of his shell when Kelly was around, however since Kelly has gone he's looked like little boy lost at times and seems to be very shy / quiet as a person both on and off the pitch.

I really don't know what the answer is, but he does obviously show something in training which made both Rangers and various Ayr Managers think that he was worth a shot.

Houston has really regressed year on year. I wish I knew why, as when he joined at first I thought he was a player. In flashes he shows there is a good player in there but its been too few and far between for me. We need better at right back.

As someone else said, Bullen obviously thinks he can get more out of these players. I think that's a risky decision but he's earnt the right to make it. He gets more benefit of the doubt than Hopkin but I am concerned with how many players we are proposing to retain.

This season hasn't been remotely good enough and I am worried that the bar is being lowered because of the binfires of Hopkin and Duffy.

I fully accept I wasn't going to get the clear out I wanted but this is too much the other way.

7 hours ago, Hursty said:

I saw Nick McAllister was getting rave reviews from Clyde fans after his loan spell.  Could he return to a side hopefully not battling relegation and improve like Mick Rose the second?  He looked miles off it but it was his first season at this level and was injured for all of pre season so you never know...

Hopefully, worth remembering he only turned 21 in January and didn’t have a pre-season. Played under two managers in three different positions (RM, RB and CM) but said when he signed he preferred playing CB.

Like you said Rose was a similar age when he signed and I imagine they’ll be a few posts on here doubting his ability after his first season. Similarly Daniel Harvie had a bit of an up and down season before kicking on in his second season and Nicky Devlin was released by Stenhousemuir a few months before he turned 21.

Apart from him starting most games at Clyde I wasn't sure how he got on but he seemed to be playing in midfield. Not an area where he'd be a starter for us though.