The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It's tragic, and all the expected virgins are lapping it up. 

You'll get a few bites from this one. I expect they'll go down the personal attack route as well.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You'll get a few bites from this one. I expect they'll go down the personal attack route as well.

Think yer boy has already went down the personal attack route calling people virgins m9. 

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Think yer boy has already went down the personal attack route calling people virgins m9. 

I just prefer to debate the point rather than play the man but whatever works for you a77.

1 hour ago, AyrAtlanta said:

3 year deals at this level are extremely risky for both player and club and it’s why they are so rare. We’re going to need to be pretty competitive with wages to tie down McInroy etc. So what if we go down next year and we have two years of fairly high wages to pay players in the league below. It’s suicide.

Or we get a core of decent players with sell on value and actually attempt to move forward as a club.... 

I’ve been raging at numerous points this season, but genuinely amazed people are losing the plot as we are trying to tie down our better players on decent deals. It’s a good thing, as is a gradual evolution of a squad. 

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I just prefer to debate the point rather than play the man but whatever works for you a77.

Debating the point is exactly what folk were doing.

If you’re that bothered about “personal attacks” you’re aiming this at the wrong people considering itzdrk was the one calling the manager a “bald running c**t” before resorting to shite playground patter.

I'm similarly dubious about Bullen and agree mostly with the points raised, but I can't say I understand some of the heads gone right now. 

For what it's worth, our signings in January were, for the most part, very good. It was Bullen's tactics and choices that were lacking. So I have confidence in the club in terms of new faces.

It's a lot of the existing faces that trouble me. We'll see what the next few weeks hold in terms of contracts. It may be a disaster with haddies getting rewarded with 3 year deals...or we'll take a more sensible approach and try to tie down our better plyers on longerish deals while punting who we can and keeping a couple on 1 year deals as back ups.

Tbh, I'm mostly glad to not have the football for a bit.

Last couple pages here have been fun though, if nothing else.

To try and spin a positive on here again.... 

Having talked about a shite central midfield since losing Kerr, we're potentially going into next season with Murodch, McInroy, Dempsey, Hewitt and Smith as options. 

That's not a fucking bad combination if it happens.

51 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Or we get a core of decent players with sell on value and actually attempt to move forward as a club.... 

I’ve been raging at numerous points this season, but genuinely amazed people are losing the plot as we are trying to tie down our better players on decent deals. It’s a good thing, as is a gradual evolution of a squad. 

That can happen once we find a core of decent players to hold on to.

We can attempt to move forward as a club without leaving ourselves wide open to disaster as plenty clubs have done in the past.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Not reacting very well to your shite takes being called out either.

Saying that you’re jumping the gun =/= lapping it up.

Will you spending the full season again telling us all how you won’t be back while still going to most games?

Cool man, would you like to go through my shite takes? 

I'll be surprised if there are any three year deals. I'll be even more surprised if Adeloye, McInroy or Murdoch are signed up for three years. I think that is too optimistic, anyone who is of that standard won't want to be locked into a three year deal. That's not unique to us, every club at this level is pretty much the same. It's the reality of the player market.

As for the continuity point, we have finished 8th for two seasons. We also concede first in 80% of our games and often concede two quick goals. I really don't want that sort of continuity. It's a mentality issue with the present squad, it needs a refresh and we need more experience and a leader. 4 additions won't do that. To my knowledge that's currently the official position from the club. I don't think its 'losing the plot' etc to be concerned about that. I think its reasonable. 

I don't really take issue with those who are optimistic about matters on the field that's their perogative.

We'll all just need to wait and see when the squad update comes out. We shouldn't be waiting too long, it was 7th May last year. Then we'll know who has been released and who has been offered deals (without knowing the specific contract lengths).

It would be good to get an update with Smith, Mathie & Bullen. I'd like to hear more about the 5 year plan and the metrics for success both on and off the field. 

I'll be surprised if there are any three year deals. I'll be even more surprised if Adeloye, McInroy or Murdoch are signed up for three years. I think that is too optimistic, anyone who is of that standard won't want to be locked into a three year deal. That's not unique to us, every club at this level is pretty much the same. It's the reality of the player market.
As for the continuity point, we have finished 8th for two seasons. We also concede first in 80% of our games and often concede two quick goals. I really don't want that sort of continuity. It's a mentality issue with the present squad, it needs a refresh and we need more experience and a leader. 4 additions won't do that. To my knowledge that's currently the official position from the club. I don't think its 'losing the plot' etc to be concerned about that. I think its reasonable. 
I don't really take issue with those who are optimistic about matters on the field that's their perogative.
We'll all just need to wait and see when the squad update comes out. We shouldn't be waiting too long, it was 7th May last year. Then we'll know who has been released and who has been offered deals (without knowing the specific contract lengths).
It would be good to get an update with Smith, Mathie & Bullen. I'd like to hear more about the 5 year plan and the metrics for success both on and off the field. 
If we keep the midfield and I know its a big if do you not think that's a good for a top half finish, your correct we conceded to many goals first and two many In quick sussession, if we get the McGinty of the last dozen or so games brilliant but the fear is he reverts back to type so IMO need two center half's with Muirhead being cover, if we can improve the defence and improve the mentality to not let heads go down after conceding (this has been a problem since Kerr was manager) I sure there is the nucleus of a top 5 team, everyone dreams of going up but that's a while away and after 45 years or so waiting if this plan works I for one can be a patient a wee bit longer.

I'm probably somewhere around the fence at present. Little bit worried about the only a few additions stuff, but will need to wait and see what they look like. 

Previously mentioned about Harvie and Rose coming on leaps and bounds in a team that was flying. With the right additions and mentoring our young players could go places. The current youngsters haven't had the benefit of being in a team not playing for their lives yet.

Although I struggled with the concept last off season, it is clean slate time until we see what we're about in the league cup. 

7 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

That can happen once we find a core of decent players to hold on to.

We can attempt to move forward as a club without leaving ourselves wide open to disaster as plenty clubs have done in the past.

Reading, McInroy, Dempsey, Murdoch and Adeloye already are that decent core - Maxwell and McAdams have the potential to be added to that. O’Connor and Ashford have a bit more to prove next year if they stay. 

Regardless, I doubt we will be chucking three year deals out all over the place, I have trust in the guys running the club - they know what they are doing. I would far rather we were offering decent deals and trying to build something than continuing with the cycle of one year deals and changing things up every single year. 

42 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Losing the plot comments were about people being annoyed at us potentially offering three year deals - its bizarre. I think your probably right that our best players won’t accept that, but if younger players like Maxwell, McInroy and Reading even accepted two year deals that would be fantastic. Chances are it would be the academy guys who would be more likely to accept these deals. 

People are obviously going to disagree slightly on the rest, but the most we need is five if we hold on to who we want to. 
Two centre backs, right back, wide midfielder, and a striker. Four/five starters... 

I initially said six (another CM) when I wrote that but then remembered Mathie discussing young players being used where appropriate within the squad - Hewitt and Smith will most likely be our central midfield cover and I’m fine with that. 

7 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Cool man, would you like to go through my shite takes? 

I’ve already said what I thought about them. You’ve no idea who is being offered deals or for how long so to start going off on one about it is completely jumping the gun.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

You’ve absolutely lost the place man. You’ve no idea who the 3 year deals are being offered to, if they’re even real.

For years we bemoaned losing all our young players for f**k all and now when someone floats the idea of handing out longer deals you lose the heid.

I’m on the fence myself. Not feeling particularly optimistic but I’ll wait until we start handing out deals before making any predictions.

If we have players like Rose and Harvey, Shankland or even Forrest, who are performing regularly at 18-21 as if they are seasoned pro’s then offering 3 year deals is a no brainer.

if a young player is performing at that level, knowing they are better than Ayrs level are they likely to tie themselves to a 3 year deal? 

it means that we have to speculatively offer 3 year deals hoping that at some point in the first 18 months a club pays a fortune for them or they are competent enough to be in the team for 3 years. 

Nick McCallister was given a 2 year deal either in the hope he’d develop or it was to tempt him away from other clubs with security. Gondoh? f**k knows, Bullen obviously doesn’t want him going by the amount of game time he’s given him. Houston looked like he’d a future but he’s had a bad season. Bryden, far to early to tell. Hewitt, looked good before his injury, probably not the highest paid at the club. 
If they started flinging 3 year deals at championship level, 28 year old squad fillers then I’d be nervous. 

Im on the fence as well with the squad, as much as I'd want to completly empty the squad and start again given we have finished 8th the last 2 years, you dont want to be starting from scratch then realising the team just doesnt gel and starting again in Jan.

At the moment we have no idea if we are going to have Maxwell, McInroy or Demspey - did Rangers not already offer Maxwell a contract so he cant leave for nothing? Thats already the majority of our midfield could be away, add in Murdoch also and we could be facing quite a rebuild there.

Up front and outwide, again we are hoping we keep Oconnor and Adeloye, but we probably need another forward and winger, Ashford I think is good out wide and is an option up top, but you wouldnt want him as first choice.

The defence needs cleared out, and at least 2 new CH's that you would hope offer some sort of leadership qualities. 

A team of McAdams, New RB, New CH, New CH, Redding, Murdoch, Dempsey, McInroy, O'conner, Adeloye, Ashford should be enough to give you mid table safety, which i think i would take at this point given the last few years

Hopefully we find out soon who is away and who'd been offered new deals so we have an idea of what we are looking at.