The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Thing is, most towns are littered with OF types. Something tells me that former Queens player Paul Burns from Cumnock was a Sellick fan (could be wrong mind), and Billy Dodds another Cumnock boy was of the Govan persuasion. Supporting our local clubs isn't that common north of the border sadly, and for reasons that are all too depressing of course.

Thing is, most towns are littered with OF types. Something tells me that former Queens player Paul Burns from Cumnock was a Sellick fan (could be wrong mind), and Billy Dodds another Cumnock boy was of the Govan persuasion. Supporting our local clubs isn't that common north of the border sadly, and for reasons that are all too depressing of course.
Paul Burns was a Cetic fan I used to work with his brother the full family were Celtic.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yup, this is the sad reality in Scotland, and the primary reason why two teams dominate at the expense of everyone else.
Even the Moff, considered a legend by Ayr fans on here, is a local boy who is a Celtic fan from a family of Celtic fans and who as far as I know had no interest in supporting his local team growing up. Far easier to follow the crowd and fit in by supporting whichever half of the OF your heritage leans towards.

Fans who choose to support their local teams do not get the respect they deserve. I grew up in Ayr and remember being ridiculed at school for supporting a crap team like Ayr instead of Rangers or whoever was top of the English league. 

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Thing is, most towns are littered with OF types.

Even my own house is only 50% Ayr / 50% Celtic. Though I do live closer to Glasgow than to Ayr.

I was probably quite lucky growing up. Both my parents are from Grangemouth so hate Falkirk. My dad spent a chunk of his childhood in Invergordon so has an affinity with Ross County. Not so easy to get there from Troon where I grew up. Old firm were firmly shunned in our household.

Ended up falling in love with Ayr at the John Traynor testimonial. Somerset under floodlights, magic. 

4 minutes ago, Toepoker said:

Apparently Mhairi Black supports Partick Thistle and was at Somerset Park to watch the match on Friday night. What happened on the train back to Glasgow makes the Sunday Papers today:-

SNP MP Mhairi Black apologies for flouting Scottish train booze ban | Scotland | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

As much as I have zero time for her as my local MP, that picture clearly isn't a train.

11 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

You might have next season. Surely your not sharing with QP next year? You might be in the Premiership 

We aren't sharing with anyone next season and we are doing work on a new surface. Us in the Premiership? Haha. See you next season. 

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

As much as I have zero time for her as my local MP, that picture clearly isn't a train.

She's not my local MP but I don't have much time for her either. It must be a slow news day. Who hasn't flouted the alcohol ban on the train? It's a nonsense tbh.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

She's not my local MP but I don't have much time for her either. It must be a slow news day. Who hasn't flouted the alcohol ban on the train? It's a nonsense tbh.

I agree with all you’ve said. What is the alcohol ban all about? Is it a Government thing or introduced by Scotrail?

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I agree with all you’ve said. What is the alcohol ban all about? Is it a Government thing or introduced by Scotrail?

I'm pretty sure it was brought in during covid to support physical distancing it was meant to have been temporary as well but seems to have been made permanent. Not sure if it's Scottish Government or Scotrail. Given Scotrail is now nationalised it's the Scottish Government's call either way now.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Not so easy to get there from Troon where I grew up. Old firm were firmly shunned in our household.

Ended up falling in love with Ayr at the John Traynor testimonial. Somerset under floodlights, magic. 

Same with me. Grew up in Troon but my parents had moved down from Pollok just before I was born. My old man had followed Celtic when he was younger, but became very disillusioned with following the old firm and a lot of what came with it. Was never keen on me following either. 

He took me to an Ayr game once cause his mate from work said I'd like it. I loved it. My dad had little interest in Ayr really, but until I was old enough to go myself he bought season tickets for me and him for years, also travelling to away games if we could, just cause he was delighted I had "my team". 

Sounds like we started going around the same time. We were truly shite around that time but it didn't matter cause I loved going to Somerset Park for some reason.

Actually come to think of it you're probably a few years ahead of me.

Edited by AuAl

29 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I wish we would allow a Direct debit to pay monthly for a Season ticket. I just don’t like to whack out £300 at once when I have a baby on the way. 

for the record, I live in knightswood, and it will be brought up an Ayr fan. 

This. Puts me off every year to shell out a lump sum, probably spend more buying single tickets.

I wish we would allow a Direct debit to pay monthly for a Season ticket. I just don’t like to whack out £300 at once when I have a baby on the way. 

for the record, I live in knightswood, and it will be brought up an Ayr fan. 
This would be a brilliant idea, I would even be happy to pay slightly more for a direct debut season ticket than a paid up front one, not sure how it would work if some one canceld direct debit though that's probably the main issue.

32 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

It has always surprised me that football generally sticks to such a simplistic pricing model. It's particularly hard to justify now with an electronic ticketing system where they could have a more dynamic pricing model (e.g. adjust the price of midweek fixtures, have "buy 10 matches get 1 free" deals etc or throw in drinks/food in some packages). Are there any league rules preventing this or are clubs pretty much free to charge whatever they want?

Even if direct debit is a hassle to manage from the club's perspective you can do that quite easily now with a Paypal recurring payment (and I think the club should support Paypal anyway). If their ticketing provider doesn't support it they should find a new ticketing partner.

I usually get two/three freebies a season for various reasons at Somerset so even if I went to every hoke game there's zero incentive to buy a season ticket. 

I think they tried the finance option and it was canned very quickly.  So may need to look at why etc and find another way to do so.  

What I don't understand is, clubs are more than happy to offer half season tickets at Christmas time covering the end of season, never the start of the season.