The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Our side until January isn’t the same as the side now,  you then add in no Adeloye and Bullen hindering the side for several weeks...

No one is saying there are ten players capable of playing in the top half right now, there are five who definitely are though and a couple others who may be depending on how they kick on. We are only 11 points off 5th so it really isn’t as far away as you seem to think...

And yet as I highlighted, the post January team failed to win in 7 games in a row. 

You know I agree with you wrt. Adeloye and Bullen not playing him.

11 points is actually quite a lot. If that's draws into wins its 6 games to make that haul up or losses into wins its 4 games. 

We can agree to disagree. I think we need more than 4 starters to make that up.

I'm actually more concerned about style of play, under every manager this season we've played in fits and starts and really been too passive in our approach especially at Somerset. Our defense is susceptible to conceding two quick goals and we concede the first goal in almost 80% of our games. That's a mentality issue with this group.

What do I think we need to get top half? A brand new back line (including left back), a left winger and a centre forward. Even that's predicated on retaining Tomi, McInroy, Murdoch. Lose them and we'll need more.

Just now, Trogdor said:

And yet as I highlighted, the post January team failed to win in 7 games in a row. 

You know I agree with you wrt. Adeloye and Bullen not playing him.

11 points is actually quite a lot. If that's draws into wins its 6 games to make that haul up or losses into wins its 4 games. 

We can agree to disagree. I think we need more than 4 starters to make that up.

I'm actually more concerned about style of play, under every manager this season we've played in fits and starts and really been too passive in our approach especially at Somerset. Our defense is susceptible to conceding two quick goals and we concede the first goal in almost 80% of our games. That's a mentality issue with this group.

What do I think we need to get top half? A brand new back line (including left back), a left winger and a centre forward. Even that's predicated on retaining Tomi, McInroy, Murdoch. Lose them and we'll need more.

I don’t think we are actually that far off each other - it is somewhere in the region of four to six starters/pushing for starts needed. I just think there is potential for a couple to kick on next season (Maxwell, McAdams, Ashford O’Connor) I doubt we will manage to keep everyone we want to anyway! If you look at most full backs in the league, Reading compares pretty favourably. When unleashed a bit to get forward last night he looked far better!

31 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

2020/21 we finished on 29 points after 27 games. If that were a 36 game season it would be the equivalent of 39 points. The 2021/22 season we have finished on 39 points from 36 games.

We've plateaued at best in terms of results.

If the squad is so much better why aren't the results?

Just to add we had winless league spells of 9 games and 7 games with these players in the league this season. One of those runs was just ended with last night's win.

I personally don't think 4 signings will turn us into a top half team. I'd love it if it were that easy. In reality we'll lose some of our better players anyway. It'll be a big rebuild either way. I just don't get that misty eyed about this team, they aren't a patch on the teams of 2017/18, 2018/19 & 2019/20. 

Yeah i would take much of that interview with a pinch of salt. Should you watch it again the evening before the league starts the reality will be somewhat different. Perhaps it's the professional way of doing business and keeps the squad settled. Horror show of a season and we made it in the end however tinkering around the edges certainly won't help Bullen get the success he wants

11 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

To me getting Tommy to stay has to be the main priority, then next its Mcinroy, Murdoch, Maxwell & Ashford. Wouldn’t mind O’Connor and Reading staying but the rest (excluding contracted players) could go.

Ashford is under contract. 

I'd think Dempsey will return - he's not going to play at Charlton and the Scottish Championship is a far better level than some of the shite he's been loaned out to previously. I think Aero will be away, which is fair enough as I see him as a good utility player and a guy who loves a battle but he's limited at this level. I'd expect him to sign for a full time team in League One. McInroy is well paid at Celtic and will need to take a big drop in wages to sign for Ayr - he's been solid for us though so I'd like to keep him. If Reading does leave then I would be straight on to Maxwell coming in at full back. Houston was bizarrely given a new contract by the club, I would like him to face some real competition next season too.

Wonder if we look at the likes of Dom Thomas as an attacking outlet? McDaid perhaps if he can rekindle his form from a few years back? We are certainly crying out for a boy with pace out wide. 

3 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Yeah i would take much of that interview with a pinch of salt. Should you watch it again the evening before the league starts the reality will be somewhat different. Perhaps it's the professional way of doing business and keeps the squad settled. Horror show of a season and we made it in the end however tinkering around the edges certainly won't help Bullen get the success he wants

The interview I heard from Bullen on Radio Scotland last night was much more upbeat, he mentioned that next year we should expect a totally different Ayr United who would be looking at totally different targets, ie promotion play offs rather than relegation threatened.

He also insinuated that we would have a far bigger budget with much better players and that 20 serious targets had already been identified.

It all seemed pretty exciting I'd say.

38 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I'd think Dempsey will return - he's not going to play at Charlton and the Scottish Championship is a far better level than some of the shite he's been loaned out to previously. I think Aero will be away, which is fair enough as I see him as a good utility player and a guy who loves a battle but he's limited at this level. I'd expect him to sign for a full time team in League One. McInroy is well paid at Celtic and will need to take a big drop in wages to sign for Ayr - he's been solid for us though so I'd like to keep him. If Reading does leave then I would be straight on to Maxwell coming in at full back. Houston was bizarrely given a new contract by the club, I would like him to face some real competition next season too.

Wonder if we look at the likes of Dom Thomas as an attacking outlet? McDaid perhaps if he can rekindle his form from a few years back? We are certainly crying out for a boy with pace out wide. 

Rumours that Aero is Dumfries bound but who knows ?

I'd like to keep McInroy if we could but seems unlikely, Dempsey looks a quality ball winner / holding player, so if can prove his fitness he'd be a must for me. Maxwell is fine but I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him but would want Murdoch to stay. Paul Smith looks like he could have a big career ahead of him though and thought he was great last night and his 3 or 4 corners were the best I've seen all season !!!

Up top, I'd love to see Adeloye stay and return fully fit next season and O'Connor could also be good in the right side showing attacking intent.

I'd also have to say that McGinty has been excellent the past couple of months and I'm actually glad that he triggered his extension as he's definitely good enough for this level when playing like he has been recently.

All good for next season and also the added bonus of a virtually all white strip which generally means we're in for a good season !!!

There are too many teams fishing in the same pond as us so I would assume a lot of the players we have identified will be from down south.

Cove will be picking up players surplus to Aberdeen, Dundee areas and are planning a “hybrid” full time team.

All the teams currently in the Championship along with Queens Park and Falkirk will be after the same players in Scotland that are free along with the loan players available. 

Bullen wants 4 in, that is assuming that he keeps the same squad as now. Kenyon I assume will not be back based on his farewell message. I don’t see Baird and Fjortoft staying if they aren’t starting. The rest will depend on interest elsewhere. I don’t see any players actually being freed this summer, more likely players wanting to seek futures elsewhere. 

With the amount of loan players and players out of contract, 20 players identified seems reasonable. 

46 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Only players I would “break the bank” for would be McInroy and Adeloye.
Maxwell is good and I hope he stays but I would not pay over the odds for him.

I think in a better team that Maxwell's natural flair could give us an edge. Not necessarily what we needed this season in a lot of games but I would definitely be trying to keep him if we are genuinely ambitious for next season.

Think this is everyone

In Contract
McGinty
McAdams
Houston
Gondoh
Bryden
Smith
Ecrepont
Hewitt
Ashford
Moffat (but likely backroom staff)