The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

What’s everyone’s thoughts on reading?
I like the kid but hasn’t pushed on as well as I thought he could have (comparing him to Harvie) maybe that’s down to coaching though. I would keep personally 
There's definitely a player there. I thought last night he was really sharp in the tackle and with Maxwell being a bit more disciplined he got the chance to bomb forward. If we were able to hold on to both for next season I wouldn't be disappointed.

1 minute ago, edinburghhonestman said:

There's definitely a player there. I thought last night he was really sharp in the tackle and with Maxwell being a bit more disciplined he got the chance to bomb forward. If we were able to hold on to both for next season I wouldn't be disappointed.

Reading was excellent going forward in the first half last night and really added to our attack, you do wonder how much he has been limited by Bullen over the past few months. Hopefully in a better side we might see that much more!

You'd hope that if Moffat is indeed hanging his boots up that he'd get a summer testimonial. Of course the only other pro team he played for was Dunfermline, so...

To be honest I think that it's better if there aren't too many signings, given that Bullen still picks the team with a dartboard. The fewer new combinations the better.

Would be astounded if nobody came in for Adeloye.

To be honest everyone in my house is really fucking ill right now and after having been up for 36 hours I packed it in at 7 last night, then dreamed that Ayr had drawn and the Pars had won 2-0. Couldn't believe my eyes when I actually checked my phone in the morning.

As for pitch invasions, the more the merrier. One of the things that makes Somerset's easy pitch access most entertaining. Lifelong fans have been made from these.

52 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on reading?

I like the kid but hasn’t pushed on as well as I thought he could have (comparing him to Harvie) maybe that’s down to coaching though. I would keep personally 

Harvie (and Rose) came in and looked pretty rotten. Their level of growth in such a short time was incredible. Reading looked ahead of where Harvie was when he joined so, there has always been an expectation that he'll just kick on.

He looks a bit better than when he arrived but seems to have plateued. Wouldn't be again him staying as he's not bad the benefits of being part of a team that was going places. Which is possibly the catalyst Harvie and Rose had.

Lots of chat about who we'd keep and where we need to strengthen but it was really significant for me that we had Smith, Bryden, Hewitt and McKenzie on the pitch at full time. Home grown players will always need to be a big part of the squad. Huge thanks should go to Davie White and Tommy Tait for the job they are doing bringing players through. With the structure we now have in place I'm hopeful this gets even better.

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Muirhead fjortoff and baird can go imo. Albinson again not done anything wrong but I’d try get a young understudy instead meaning we aren’t paying as much on wages every week. 

We must keep Adeloye, Mcinroy, Murdoch and I’d like to keep Maxwell too. Dempsey is a risk but if we had Mcinroy, dempsey, Murdoch and smith we would have cm covered. Mckenzie I’d punt on loan to league 1 not ready for championship football yet although does have something to offer as he is still young. Gondoh probably not going to cut it at this level I’d give him preseason but would try and punt him as he’s on a 2 year deal may have to keep 

For next season we need:

gk

2x cb

Rb

2 Wingers

1 striker

Pretty much spot on in my opinion. Regarding Albinson, your point is more of a commercial one but putting that to one side I'd be happy to keep Albinson since I think he is a capable backup keeper.

If we can sign both Maxwell and McInroy that would be amazing and would show real intent by Smith. Keeping hold of Adeloye would be essential since he is the only person we have that I think is a good centre forward at our level.

Paul Smith impressed last night and although that was just one game, having both him and Hewitt is like signing two new players really for next season. I remember Hewitt was decent before the injury but to be honest it was hard to judge at that point given the general tactics from the clown manager.

We have to make sure we have decent enough options on the bench as well as the preferred starting 11 so I think the figure of four that was quoted by Bullen is a bit light.

The only thing that I felt was a bit disappointing in Bullen's post-match interview was his reference to a "top half finish" - I hope the ambition is top 4 and is backed by a playing budget to achieve that.

8 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Lots of chat about who we'd keep and where we need to strengthen but it was really significant for me that we had Smith, Bryden, Hewitt and McKenzie on the pitch at full time. Home grown players will always need to be a big part of the squad. Huge thanks should go to Davie White and Tommy Tait for the job they are doing bringing players through. With the structure we now have in place I'm hopeful this gets even better.

Always good to see him get praise, there’s more to his job than just taking the u20s/reserve team. Plus Roberts, McLaughlin et al hated him so that’s a plus for me! 

21 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Highlights are up not like it made any difference in the long run but how on earth did the Partick player not get sent off for handball Stevie Wonder could have seen it.

Blatant and intentional hand ball but watching from the North terrace I didn’t see it so I have a little sympathy with Bobby Madden, however surely the stand side linesmen had a perfect view?

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I was more thinking a young lad say from the academy/a young guy like we ran with for years 

That’s fine until suddenly due to injury or suspension you need a keeper for a few weeks. That happened a couple of times this season and Albinson did well when called upon.

Four additions might not seem like a lot but in the right areas they could absolutely turn this team around provided we also keep the likes of Tomi and McInroy.

For example,

McAdams

RB
CB
McGinty
Reading/Maxwell

O’Connor
McInroy
Murdoch
LW

Adeloye
ST

Provided those four areas are addressed properly I can’t see us being involved in another relegation scrap. People will have reservations about McGinty but if he carry’s the form of the last few months over into next season he should be fine. And if not, then you’d be hoping we have better centre halves sitting in reserve than Baird and Fjortoft who can come in and do okay.