The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Four additions might not seem like a lot but in the right areas they could absolutely turn this team around provided we also keep the likes of Tomi and McInroy.

For example,

McAdams

RB
CB
McGinty
Reading/Maxwell

O’Connor
McInroy
Murdoch
LW

Adeloye
ST

Provided those four areas are addressed properly I can’t see us being involved in another relegation scrap. People will have reservations about McGinty but if he carry’s the form of the last few months over into next season he should be fine. And if not, then you’d be hoping we have better centre halves sitting in reserve than Baird and Fjortoft who can come in and do okay.

Do you rate O'Connor? Can't tell if he'll come good or if this is the best we've seen of him

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Shades of last season with talk of four quality additions. What's the definition of insanity again?

I don’t think it’s really that reminiscent of last season unless we’re about to sign half of Dunfermline’s team.

I’d be hoping for more than 4 signings but talk of a complete new team is also far fetched. Occasionally a team will do that but there’s a very real possibility it goes awfully wrong ala Falkirk when the got relegated from this league a few years ago. Asking an inexperienced manager to oversee it all adds to the risk as well.

Really impressed with Smith last night! I'd get rid of pretty much all of our defenders, the centre halves are dug meat
Not sure I'd agree on McGinty. As @D'Jaffo says in another post, if he continues like he's been playing he'll be ok. I'd really like to know what they've done with him in the last few months. He's never going to be Franco Baresi, but since he got the head knock he seems to think he's Terry Butcher. There's a moment in the highlights where Patrick play a ball in to the box and you can see immediately he's winning it. That just wasn't happening earlier in the season.

39 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Shades of last season with talk of four quality additions. What's the definition of insanity again?

Not even close to being the same situation as last season tbh! Look at the team below - only Reading and McCowan as two you would want consistently playing in a top half championship side and we knew McCowan was gone. Look at the side last night, and if you are being incredibly harsh there are three in McInroy, Reading and Adeloye with potential for O’Connor, McAdams, Maxwell and Ashford (if playing wide) You then add Murdoch and Dempsey who are both good enough too...

Bearing in mind we barely improved that side too...

• Morrison
  • 2 Houston 
  • 30 Baird
  • 5 Roscoe
  • 3 Reading
  • 4 Muirhead
  • 11 McCowan
  • 8 Miller 
  • 18 Chalmers
  • 15 Todd
  • 7 Moffat

Really enjoyed last night; big crowd, decent weather and a good win.  Aye, Partick were going through the motions a bit but we still played well and deserved the comfortable win.  Tomi wins 2 penalties, scores a goal himself and should have won another penalty and/or red-card - great performance from him.  Smith really stepped up last night, that long pass out right to McInroy was brilliant, and I hope he gets a bigger chance next year.  

It's tempting to look at last season and say we kept too many players, but I think our squad now is massively better than it was 12 months ago.  We had far too many passengers like Chalmers, Wright and Walsh and there was a really weak mentality (the capitulation at Arbroath was the prime example).  Given how many times this group have battled back from a goal or two down to salvage something shows that they aren't the same gutless shitebags. 

I've seen some wild takes in my time but suggesting 10 of our current players would be in a top half team is up there. 
I took it as 4 quality addition to add that to the core of Adeloye, McAdams, McInroy, Murdoch, Houston, Ashford, O'connor, McGinty, Redding, Dempsey if we can keep them and the batch of youngsters like Hewitt, Brydon, Smith top 5 is not out of the question we only finished 3 points of Hamilton in 6th in this bonfire of a season.

2020/21 we finished on 29 points after 27 games. If that were a 36 game season it would be the equivalent of 39 points. The 2021/22 season we have finished on 39 points from 36 games.

We've plateaued at best in terms of results.

If the squad is so much better why aren't the results?

Just to add we had winless league spells of 9 games and 7 games with these players in the league this season. One of those runs was just ended with last night's win.

I personally don't think 4 signings will turn us into a top half team. I'd love it if it were that easy. In reality we'll lose some of our better players anyway. It'll be a big rebuild either way. I just don't get that misty eyed about this team, they aren't a patch on the teams of 2017/18, 2018/19 & 2019/20. 

Edited by Trogdor

Don’t get the hype about Reading. Utterly ragdolled by a geriatric Chris Burke in 1.5 games at Rugby Park plus in numerous other games this season. Can’t swing a cross in or stop a cross either. 1 on 1 defending is non existent. Gets a bit of sympathy for being better than Houston though.

However I’d be reluctant to replace him in case we ended up with someone worse. Bottom half championship player imo

25 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

2020/21 we finished on 29 points after 27 games. If that were a 36 game season it would be 39 points. The 2021/22 season we have finished on 39 points from 36 games.

We've plateaued at best in terms of results.

If the squad is so much better why aren't the results?

Just to add we had winless league spells of 9 games and 7 games with these players in the league this season. One of those runs was just ended with last night's win.

I personally don't think 4 signings will turn us into a top half team. I'd love it if it were that easy. In reality we'll lose some of our better players anyway. It'll be a big rebuild either way. I just don't get that misty eyed about this team, they aren't a patch on the teams of 2017/18, 2018/19 & 2019/20. 

Our side until January isn’t the same as the side now,  you then add in no Adeloye and Bullen hindering the side for several weeks...

No one is saying there are ten players capable of playing in the top half right now, there are five who definitely are though and a couple others who may be depending on how they kick on. We are only 11 points off 5th so it really isn’t as far away as you seem to think...

ETA. Bullen’s PPG would have us six points from 5th...

Edited by No_Problemo