The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I'm tearing strips off the squad but I feel the same way with the backroom team. Bullens subs also strike me as someone launching spaghetti at the wall and hoping it sticks. I know he's a rookie manager but it's really grinding my gears as well.

Expect another season of struggle if we stay up because that's the same chat from last season. The vast majority of this squad aren't good enough. Retain most of them and it'll be another hard slog. It needs gutted, there is nothing to salvage here. It's not like we are close to being at the level we need to be. The worst team in the league can arguably feel aggrieved at only drawing with us. It is not good enough.

I don’t think any of us foresaw the level of ineptitude shown by the club over the summer when it came to recruitment. We also never retained anyone that people were unhappy with. We all wanted the likes of Baird and Chalmers gone but they were still under contract.

It’s neither a good idea to overhaul an entire squad nor is it a good idea to keep shite players in case we can’t do better. We need to find a balance and prioritise certain areas to improve and see where it takes us.

You say that you’d be happy with McAdams next season. I’d far rather we brought in a new goalie than replace Reading or Ashford.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think any of us foresaw the level of ineptitude shown by the club over the summer when it came to recruitment. We also never retained anyone that people were unhappy with. We all wanted the likes of Baird and Chalmers gone but they were still under contract.

It’s neither a good idea to overhaul an entire squad nor is it a good idea to keep shite players in case we can’t do better. We need to find a balance and prioritise certain areas to improve and see where it takes us.

You say that you’d be happy with McAdams next season. I’d far rather we brought in a new goalie than replace Reading or Ashford.

I don't disagree with you in principle but this squad is dugmeat. In such a scenario you need to take more drastic action. If we can move on players on 2 year deals we should either by offering them to other clubs or punting them on loan. I never thought another club would take Chalmers and they did. 

I think that's harsh on McAdams tbh. He had a stinker against Dunfermline and long shots seem to be his kryptonite. He also doesn't command his area as well as I'd like but he's young and with decent coaching should improve. Edit - Also with a better defence we wouldn't just allow players the time and space to shoot from range which may help.

Reading hasn't played well since we beat Killie away. Almost every attack came down our left and its been like that for weeks.

Ashford runs about a lot and gets into positions then fluffs his shots. On the left hes a bit better than Maxwell but is equally frustrating.

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

We’re going to be left with McAdams, Houston, McGinty, Hewitt, Ecrepont, Smith, Gondoh, McKenzie, Ashford, Bryden (off the top of my head). Realistically Murdoch will re-sign and McAdams, McGinty, Murdoch and Ashford are the only guaranteed starters. 

In that scenario I'd be trying to move on Houston. I'd loan out Hewitt, Ecrepont & McKenzie. McGinty would be backup. I'm not confident Murdoch will re-sign.

Edited by Trogdor

You know, I'm actually surprised by the amount of support they are still getting from the fans at this stage so fair play to them for that. Would kinda expect  it to be pelters all round but they are doing their part, shame the players aren't. Think this is, as folk have said before, it's not a lack of effort they are just collectively guff, which goes a long way with the fans.

We are still not winning on Friday, and anyone that thinks so has to explain their thinking.

29 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

You know, I'm actually surprised by the amount of support they are still getting from the fans at this stage so fair play to them for that. Would kinda expect  it to be pelters all round but they are doing their part, shame the players aren't. Think this is, as folk have said before, it's not a lack of effort they are just collectively guff, which goes a long way with the fans.

We are still not winning on Friday, and anyone that thinks so has to explain their thinking.

1.  We are playing a team who will have one eye on making sure they are not injured or burnt out for their play-off games.

2.  There will be a bumper crowd who will not hold back if there is not 100% effort from every player in black and white.

3.  We are surely owed some luck in front of goal.

4. Will hopefully be the last game all together for this set of players so I’m sure some personal pride will kick in and they will give it one last big push and effort for the 90mins.

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Ayr will win. Purely because I think there is not a fucking chance they will win.

Why not? Played 3 lost 3 conceded 9 scored 0 against them this season.

No wins in 8. Can't even remember the last time we won at home.

Pretty sure McCall would secretly revel in doing us over. Even if he plays a second string team.

The only glimmer is that when we do win it tends to be against top of the table teams.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Had Partick needed a result for the play offs I wouldnt be as confident. They will be going through the motions hoping to get through the game injury free. That's my thinking anyway of why we'll win

6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

On the positive side that late OG will probably be the point that saved us. 

Anyone here behind the goal see if McInroy's shot was on target? I'm pretty certain it was, should be his goal, not an OG

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Why not? Played 3 lost 3 conceded 9 scored 0 against them this season.

No wins in 8. Can't even remember the last time we won at home.

Pretty sure McCall would secretly revel in doing us over. Even if he plays a second string team.

The only glimmer is that when we do win it tends to be against top of the table teams.

Bizarrely, looking at it now, Arbroath in January, preceded by Raith the same month.

9 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Anyone here behind the goal see if McInroy's shot was on target? I'm pretty certain it was, should be his goal, not an OG

It looks on target from the highlights but it’s deflected and completely changes the direction of the ball. I think it will stay an og

The way Bullen talks in his post match interviews you wouldn't realise we are 1 league win in 9 games. Given the enormous winless spells we've had this season. Duffy was 1 win in 12 games. Its quite remarkable that our destiny is in our hands.

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

The way Bullen talks in his post match interviews you wouldn't realise we are 1 league win in 9 games. Given the enormous winless spells we've had this season. Duffy was 1 win in 12 games. Its quite remarkable that pur destiny is in our hands.

Yes, always struck me a bit odd in recent weeks that he seems unaware of the predicament we are in. would have expected much more relegation battle talk.

All the more remarkable that we could go a quarter of the season winless and still finish 8th. We are the only team not to pick up a win in the last 6.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Yes, always struck me a bit odd in recent weeks that he seems unaware of the predicament we are in. would have expected much more relegation battle talk.

All the more remarkable that we could go a quarter of the season winless and still finish 8th. We are the only team not to pick up a win in the last 6.

Very true. Its been a weird weird season. I'm hopeful Thistle will rest some up next week. McCall seems to making those kind of noises. Even then it'll be a battle. I really can't be arsed with the play offs. I just want this season over with.

I still think the stat that epitomises this season like no other is conceding first in 27 league games. That's been a constant under every manager.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Very true. Its been a weird weird season. I'm hopeful Thistle will rest some up next week. McCall seems to making those kind of noises. Even then it'll be a battle. I really can't be arsed with the play offs. I just want this season over with.

I still think the stat that epitomises this season like no other is conceding first in 27 league games. That's been a constant under every manager.

The issue is that Thistle still have very good players on the bench - Robbie Crawford, Kyle McAllister and Cammy Smith in midfield for example. The biggest drop off is if they hopefully rest Brian Graham and Scott Tiffoney.

It's funny how opinions on players can change so much over the course of the season. All hypothetical until the result next week as it could change how a lot of players are thinking but there's some I'd keep and others I'd happily never see in an Ayr shirt again.

For most of the first half of the season, I thought McGinty was one of the worst centre half's I'd ever seen. Since the turn of the year he's been solid enough if not spectacular. Can't say I was over the moon when he got the contract extension and tbh I'd still rather have other options, but I can't say I'm too bothered about him being here next season.

Happily see the back of Baird, Aero and Fjortoft. Would rather Houston was away as well but he's under contract. I just hope he's not first choice RB next season. Paddy Reading I would keep but I have a feeling he will be away.

I was delighted when we singed McAdams at the start of the season, but to be perfectly honest I really wouldn't be fussed if he went elsewhere. I don't rate him for anything other than point blank saves. His kicking, positioning and control within his penalty box are all quite poor. Wouldn't be fussed to see Albinson go either tbh.

The core of the midfield I hope we keep. Murdoch, McInroy, Dempsey, Smith - I think we might have the makings of something very good there if we can get them working together well. Kenyon looks done from what we've seen so far of him so I'd punt him.

O'Connor I'd keep, he's shown enough in the last few games to make me think he has the potential of being a great asset. Maxwell I'm undecided. He has the ability to go on these incredible long runs but his final choice or ability to finish/set up a good chance almost always fails. Also, for every time he carries us up the park well, there's 15 times when he just gives the ball away.

Gondoh I don't think we've seen enough of but he will probably be away I think. McKenzie, much like Houston, I just don't think is good enough for it at this level. Send him on loan or smth.

Tomi I'd really like to stay but he needs to be alongside an instinctive finisher. His hold up play and ability to cause mayhem in the defence are excellent, but he needs that extra body with him to put away chances. Ashford I've found incredibly frustrating recently. Has that sort of chaos factor at times when attacking a defence but it very rarely leads to anything and I can't count how many good chances he has missed. Likely keep but have him play wide at times. Bryden isn't really ready yet and was brought in too soon. Maybe get him a loan next season and if not just the occasional appearance.