The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Don't kid yourself, if we get anything next Friday it'll be done to sheer luck.

It's hard enough for this squad to perform without the added pressures of everything this game brings. Plus a potential big home crowd if they lower prices. You think this lot will relish those type of conditions? Or buckle as per usual?

Squads down the bottom of the league, not winning games are going to be low on confidence. If they aren’t confident then they’re never going to play as well as they can. They take an extra touch, they hesitate and they make rash decisions. McInroy, Murdoch and McGinty were the only ones out there today who looked unfazed by the situation. Everyone else suffered from second guessing or hesitating. Bullen’s correct in saying that we’re due giving someone a hiding but it’s going to take one chance to go in, preferably early before that happens.

I think with the way we’ve been playing with this lineup we’re well capable of beating Thistle but it’s very dependent on us taking our chances and settling into the game.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Squads down the bottom of the league, not winning games are going to be low on confidence. If they aren’t confident then they’re never going to play as well as they can. They take an extra touch, they hesitate and they make rash decisions. McInroy, Murdoch and McGinty were the only ones out there today who looked unfazed by the situation. Everyone else suffered from second guessing or hesitating. Bullen’s correct in saying that we’re due giving someone a hiding but it’s going to take one chance to go in, preferably early before that happens.

I think with the way we’ve been playing with this lineup we’re well capable of beating Thistle but it’s very dependent on us taking our chances and settling into the game.

Agreed completely. 

This group actually does have a decent amount of resilience, there have been numerous opportunities to buckle over the last few weeks and they haven’t. You could argue it against Dunfermline, but I don’t think that’s what that was. 

As you say, we are capable of winning but it is entirely dependent on a little confidence/luck in front of goal. 

Agreed completely. 
This group actually does have a decent amount of resilience, there have been numerous opportunities to buckle over the last few weeks and they haven’t. You could argue it against Dunfermline, but I don’t think that’s what that was. 
As you say, we are capable of winning but it is entirely dependent on a little confidence/luck in front of goal. 
This, we can slag them for not being good enough but they have always put 100% in and have never downed tools fighting to the end has picked us some really important points especially in the last few weeks a wee one nil win do us and should be enough fir Thistle with there goal difference, one last push I hope because I'm ready for this season to be over.

I think we can put McGinty in the “used to be pish” category

hes barely put a foot wrong since new year when others have regressed but he’s still getting pelters for being shite. 

it is possible for players to improve. Credit where it is due, he doesn’t deserve half the abuse he gets now. Players playing badly deserve criticism but players playing well deserve either praise or the very least no abuse.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

hes barely put a foot wrong since new year when others have regressed but he’s still getting pelters for being shite. 

it is possible for players to improve. Credit where it is due, he doesn’t deserve half the abuse he gets now. Players playing badly deserve criticism but players playing well deserve either praise or the very least no abuse.

I’ve not heard any McGinty abuse for a good few months tbh...

McGinty would probably be fine in a massively improved defence next year. Since Bullen came in he has hardly been a weak link. Not necessarily the best centre back but far from the worst.

Can't fault the teams commitment and resilience but the execution hasn't been there at times this year. Evidenced by our ability to fluff multiple chances the last two weeks that would have seen us home and dry.

Also might have got sunburnt today..

Fucking hell, pull yourselves together. McGinty has improved no end but If we have an illusion of improving McGinty cannot be a starter. This squad needs emptied. That whole defence is mince. After today Reading is edging very close to the punt list. When was the last time he beat a man and whipped in a cross? His defensive work has gone backwards as well. 

Other than McInroy, Adeloye, McAdams, Murdoch and O'Connor I would swap everyone. I was very frustrated with Ashford today so he's edging toward the maybe pile as well.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Fucking hell, pull yourselves together. McGinty has improved no end but If we have an illusion of improving McGinty cannot be a starter. This squad needs emptied. That whole defence is mince. After today Reading is edging very close to the punt list. When was the last time he beat a man and whipped in a cross? His defensive work has gone backwards as well. 

Other than McInroy, Adeloye, McAdams, Murdoch and O'Connor I would swap everyone. I was very frustrated with Ashford today so he's edging toward the maybe pile as well.

McGinty and Ashford are under contract, so you’re out of luck. 

Just now, callum-ayr said:

McGinty and Ashford are under contract, so you’re out of luck. 

See Chalmers, McAllister, Miller as a recent examples of punting contracted players without paying up their contract. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A new defence is badly needed. Reading will probably be sold, Markus is away at the end of the season, Baird I'd punt too

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah - he has shown he is capable to keep around as a back up but if we want to progress we need three new starting defenders. Reading doesn’t really do beating a man tbf. 

I’m not sure Ashford is good enough up front either, but would still like to see him get a run out wide. 

We’re not overhauling an entire squad at once and Ashford and McGinty are both under contract and will likely be in and around the starting 11 next season. I don’t really have any issue with that. For me if we could replace Muirhead, Maxwell, bring in a striker (use Ashford as a wide player) and another right back then that would be a significant upgrade provided we got that all spot on. Those positions are our weak links right now and it’s what I want us to address first over the summer.

Someone who can cross a ball / take a set piece is a MUST.

i can honestly say that in the near 40 years of following Ayr that I have never seen such poor deliveries as what we've had this season.

Fitness is all fine and well but when your professional footballer seems incapable of crossing a football then all bets are off, it truly is pathetic.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

We’re not overhauling an entire squad at once and Ashford and McGinty are both under contract and will likely be in and around the starting 11 next season. I don’t really have any issue with that. For me if we could replace Muirhead, Maxwell, bring in a striker (use Ashford as a wide player) and another right back then that would be a significant upgrade provided we got that all spot on. Those positions are our weak links right now and it’s what I want us to address first over the summer.

Expect another season of struggle if we stay up because that's the same chat from last season. The vast majority of this squad aren't good enough. Retain most of them and it'll be another hard slog. It needs gutted, there is nothing to salvage here. It's not like we are close to being at the level we need to be. The worst team in the league can arguably feel aggrieved at only drawing with us. It is not good enough.

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A new defence is badly needed. Reading will probably be sold, Markus is away at the end of the season, Baird I'd punt too

Baird had the brainfart moment today sending the queens guy through on goal to somehow miss

49 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just for what it’s worth, McGinty went through a wee purple patch at the end of his first season with us. He was composed on the ball, would bring it out of defence well and generally looked decent.

He went right back to being horseshit the next season. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Expect another season of struggle if we stay up because that's the same chat from last season. The vast majority of this squad aren't good enough. Retain most of them and it'll be another hard slog. It needs gutted, there is nothing to salvage here. It's not like we are close to being at the level we need to be. The worst team in the league can arguably feel aggrieved at only drawing with us. It is not good enough.

We’re going to be left with McAdams, Houston, McGinty, Hewitt, Ecrepont, Smith, Gondoh, McKenzie, Ashford, Bryden (off the top of my head). Realistically Murdoch will re-sign and McAdams, McGinty, Murdoch and Ashford are the only guaranteed starters.