The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

“This colour nonsense”. Way to undermine a perfectly reasonable and based discussion on ignorant and lazy racial stereotypes.

If it’s too hard for you to discuss then I’m sorry but it’s something that very much needs to be spoken about.

It's not hard to discuss at all but I just think it's pish.

I see the usual suspects are out in force, thankfully I filtered them into oblivion about 8 months ago which has resulted in a much more rewarding forum experience 😀

9 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I'm just not seeing this "colour" nonsense at all and also don't think Tomi gets half the abuse that some seem to make out.

For what it's worth, myself and all the guys I stand with believe him to be our best forward player by quite some way and if anything I believe he may get some criticism due to him quite often giving the impression of him underachieving and being the frustrating type due to his undoubted talent.

As I say, all this racism talk is just garbage as the guys who get most abuse (by quite some way) are McGinty and Houston but of course since they're white nobody could ever use this nonsensical accusation or insinuation for the reason for the abuse.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about skin colour, religion, nationality or political views that any of our players hold as for me it's about performing for Ayr United and I'm pretty sure that 99% of my fellow honest men are the same, so can we please stop all this baseless nonsense now and just get on to supporting the team (all of them) as we try and keep our Championship status, as right now, that's all that really matters...

I don’t know why people keep trying to compare the abuse shite players get to the abuse Tomi gets. Houston and McGinty have put in some of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from Ayr United players this season, that is why they have got criticism. McGinty has been relatively fine recently and has received no abuse whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

McGinty has been relatively fine recently and has received no abuse whatsoever

I'll admit that I've been one of McGinty's harshest critics and I'm honestly not a fan, believe Ayr could do better. However, he has pulled it together towards the end in an attempt to redeem himself.

Though Ayrs 9th after signing players last season who finished 9th. Thanks Mr Hopkin 👍

19 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I'll admit that I've been one of McGinty's harshest critics and I'm honestly not a fan, believe Ayr could do better. However, he has pulled it together towards the end in an attempt to redeem himself.

Though Ayrs 9th after signing players last season who finished 9th. Thanks Mr Hopkin 👍

To be fair to McGinty, he has been playing relatively well the last  few weeks but our defence has still be an issue with conceding quick goals - not sure if he is necessarily to blame for that but he is part of the wider problem.  That said, he's not made any massive mistakes and he does appear to be relatively calm on the ball at times and has improved on where he was when he first came.  But he's not a youth player to develop, we should be aiming for higher if we stay up.  He'll do a job in league one if we go down...

41 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Seem to recall Ayr fans viewing this as shrewd business at the time, and getting very flustered indeed when you were warned that you were signing a bunch of haddies. 

Just now, virginton said:

Seem to recall Ayr fans viewing this as shrewd business at the time, and getting very flustered indeed when you were warned that you were signing a bunch of haddies. 

This is not the case.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was delighted with the signing of McAdams but not the other three. 

5 minutes ago, Iain said:

This is not the case.

It really is though. Here's a sample from just a single page last summer:

On 21/07/2021 at 10:58, Superhursy7 said:

Folk can argue about McGinty and Baird but I think it's safe to say those two along with Fjortoft and Muirhead are pretty good options at championship level.

On 21/07/2021 at 10:53, North British said:

You just need to visualise the Great Arbroath Fiasco to concur with the above . We have concede zero goals in three and our best defender and organiser (arguably) is just getting started (Fjortoft) . Things have been upgraded in that department. 

On 21/07/2021 at 11:36, Lochwood said:

Improved 100% at the back And the best defender played 20 minutes and looked class

midfield very promising  a real good mix add Kelly and this boy Mancini and there’s your class

up front work in progress we have a good striker who has still to get fit can only get better

After the  very poor Morton quotes the boy SALKELD is a real find  a managers dream and can play almost anywhere

On 21/07/2021 at 12:05, Mod1967 said:

More fool us for listening to Morton or thistle fans 

All ageing like a fine wine. 

Football fanbases have very short and selective memories. And when it comes to what they actually thought about their team during the previous close season, the revisionism on display by April is typically wild. 

This case is no exception. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Seem to recall Ayr fans viewing this as shrewd business at the time, and getting very flustered indeed when you were warned that you were signing a bunch of haddies

Most of us were watching Hopkin's attempt at building a squad thru the cracks in our fingers.

Despite a rough few months McGinty has largely been fine since the turn of the year. He’s better than our other centre halves and I’m fine with him being here next season so long as he isn’t captain and we get someone decent next to him.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

It really is though. Here's a sample from just a single page last summer:

All ageing like a fine wine. 

Football fanbases have very short and selective memories. And when it comes to what they actually thought about their team during the previous close season, the revisionism on display by April is typically wild. 

This case is no exception. 

I knew that McGinty and Salkeld were dreadful signings - as did the majority I think. 

Based on opinions from Morton fans I thought Fjortoft was a decent signing, but he is up there with Salkeld in terms of being the worst of the lot. 

TBH I think some of us were trying to convince ourselves that it would not be the car crash it would inevitable become with Hopkin, McGinty has been okay particularly since Bullen came in but I'd rather we had not extended his contract.

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
3 hours ago, virginton said:

TBH I think some of us were trying to convince ourselves that it would not be the car crash it would inevitable become with Hopkin, McGinty has been okay particularly since Bullen came in but I'd rather we had not extended his contract.

To be fair, we didn't extend McGinty's contract - he did. He had the option baked into his original contract, after a certain number of appearances, and took it. Given where we were at the time, that may be instructive but, hey, we've all got to make a living and put food on the table. 

That said, with a half-decent midfield in front of him he now seems to be fine at this level.

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So the only time Scottish football unanimously votes in  favour of something and we are the exceptions?

This is why fan consultations aren't a good thing.

Fan consultation is almost always a good thing. You don't need to slavishly follow what your fans are telling you - ultimately the owners decide as it's their money - but it can't be a bad thing to know how strong the fans feelings on an issue might be.  

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile
Clarity

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I see the usual suspects are out in force, thankfully I filtered them into oblivion about 8 months ago which has resulted in a much more rewarding forum experience 😀

You resemble that remark. 😬