The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Adeloye is like Brian Graham, If you watch BG, he isn't involved much and generally just gives centre halfs a kicking. Occasionally he'll find space in the box and score. He'll get a 15-20 goal a season average.

We played in a way that suited Adeloye on Saturday, using width to stretch Dunfermline and letting Adeloye put their defence on the back foot. We normally have midfielders carry the ball to the 18 yard box and give it away trying to pass it in to a packed area. We did it against Raith and Dunfermline and it worked(mostly) and it is 100% better to watch. 

We have had so many players who have scored goals in bad teams, Bilsland, Jackson, Moffat, Roberts, Parker to name but a few and none of them were abused, it all came down to how bad the manager was at the time. Every team has a hero or a player who stands out regardless of how bad the team are and this one doesn't really have one other than Adeloye.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Adeloye is like Brian Graham, If you watch BG, he isn't involved much and generally just gives centre halfs a kicking. Occasionally he'll find space in the box and score. He'll get a 15-20 goal a season average.

We played in a way that suited Adeloye on Saturday, using width to stretch Dunfermline and letting Adeloye put their defence on the back foot. We normally have midfielders carry the ball to the 18 yard box and give it away trying to pass it in to a packed area. We did it against Raith and Dunfermline and it worked(mostly) and it is 100% better to watch. 

We have had so many players who have scored goals in bad teams, Bilsland, Jackson, Moffat, Roberts, Parker to name but a few and none of them were abused, it all came down to how bad the manager was at the time. Every team has a hero or a player who stands out regardless of how bad the team are and this one doesn't really have one other than Adeloye.

The only thing I would say is that I don’t think it’s the case that Adeloye isn’t involved much  - literally all of our play tends to go through him. 

36 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Assuming this will be including Hopkin’s cup games against lower league opposition....

No doubt Bullen is underperforming given the players that have been brought in though. 

ETA, league record:

Duffy: 15 matches, three wins and five draws. 

Hopkin: 14 matches, two wins and six draws. 

Bullen: 15 matches, four wins and five draws. 

As much as Bullen is underperforming, he is clearly miles better than Hopkin and marginally better than Duffy. 

I think you've given Hopkin the win against Dunfermline rather than Duffy. Hopkin only had 1 league win. 

Hopkin - P13 W1 D6 L6 0.54 PPG

Duffy - P14 W3 D5 L6 1.00 PPG

Bullen - P15 W4 D5 L6 1.13 PPG

I agree with your broad point though.

Edit to add -

Kerr - P34 W10 D9 L15 1.15 PPG

McCall - P78 W27 D21 L30 1.31 PPG 

^McCall's includes the relegation season in 2016/17. This is only matches at Championship level.

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

I think you've given Hopkin the win against Dunfermline rather than Duffy. Hopkin only had 1 league win. 

Hopkin - P13 W1 D6 L6 0.54 PPG

Duffy - P14 W3 D5 L6 1.00 PPG

Bullen - P15 W4 D5 L6 1.13 PPG

I agree with your broad point though.

I just used transfermarkt so no idea tbh - though two wins for Hopkin in the league did seem a large amount! 

0.54 PPG - f**k me! Ultimately Bullen’s PPG ratio over a season would have us safe, but is still isn’t very good. 

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Can't we all just agree the three of them are varying degrees of shite and Bullen is just a bit less shit than the other two.

I think so - I’m hoping the weekend was the beginning of some signs of progress from Bullen though. It seems like it might be coming too late though!

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I just used transfermarkt so no idea tbh - though two wins for Hopkin in the league did seem a large amount! 

0.54 PPG - f**k me! Ultimately Bullen’s PPG ratio over a season would have us safe, but is still isn’t very good. 

Aye Hopkin was shite, he unquestionably took us backwards. Kerr was 1.15 PPG. McCall was 1.31 PPG at this level including 16/17. Exclude it and McCall was 1.5 PPG in 18/19 and 2.5 PPG in 19/20 (when he left after 6 games).

The difference between Bullen to Hopkin and Duffy is that Bullen has improved us from where we were under the other two. Granted we were really fucking shit so we could only get better but Bullen has overseen small improvements in playing personnel and how we play overall (in certain games).

Hopkin unquestionably took us backwards even from where Kerr had us and Duffy just kinda kept us around that level despite looking like he might improve us after a couple of games.

When McCall took over from Roberts he came in roughly around the same time of the season that we appointed Bullen. We were horrific with a really toxic dressing room apparently and I was quite convinced we’d end up in the bottom two. Nothing really changed drastically in the remainder of that season but you could see where we had improved.

Now I’m not comparing Bullen to McCall but the improvements are there to see. It’s incredibly frustrating that we’ve been held back by Bullen’s stubbornness/naivety. I’m not overly confident about next season regardless of what league we’re in but we have Hopkin a chance to build on his half season after he literally kept us up by other teams around us constantly losing and failing to catch us. I don’t think Bullen will do the same damage to us this summer that Hopkin did last summer. That’s purely down to the fact that we have Mathie but there’s a fair chance that if we stay up we could build a half decent squad and Bullen will do alright.

It's rather academic, the club will stick with Bullen either way. My own view is:

If we stay up we keep him. 

If we go down I'd punt him (bearing in mind that to go down we would also lose the playoffs). 

If Bullen stays, he needs his own backroom team and to be ruthless with this squad whichever division we are in.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

It's rather academic, the club will stick with Bullen either way. My own view is:

If we go down I'd punt him (bearing in mind that to go down we would also lose the playoffs). 

If Bullen stays, he needs his own backroom team and to be ruthless with this squad whichever division we are in.

Correct . Bully is under contract for next season and maybe the one after that as well . I think he’ll be here for a while . The squad is the issue , mentally weak and too young . There aren’t enough leaders in the middle of the park or at the back . Two veterans in those area are much needed as well as a keeper and a partner for Tomi (assuming he stays) .

49 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'd personally give him the opportunity to get us back up if we go down.

To be fair, the mess this season has not been his fault.

It has Absoulotely nothing to do with his skin colour and I don’t understand what your trying to achieve by claiming it does. 
I'd love to belive that, Shankland could have cost us the league one championship when he got sent of against Stranraer but not a word was said, he turned us down once and screwed around McCall by not turning up for a signing meeting the season before and also left us for a rival team but the love for him is still there and for all his goals I 100% get that but if Tomi had done any if these things he would have been slaughtered, you have to ask yourself what's the difference.

On 17/04/2022 at 10:39, Thumper said:

He'll probably want to go to a Championship club instead, even given the huge draw of four games against Falkirk to tempt him to stay.

Wasn't he at East Kilbride FC before moving down to England and back? 

I know there's not too much difference between the lower football league and juniors/amateurs here in Scotland, so maybe he might stay 🤔 and with his record in the championship this season, he's sure to do better in the league below? Wouldn't surprise me if he f*cked off though 😒

Fingers crossed. Adeloye is one of only a very few I'd wish to hold on to from this absolute shit-show season, that I'm still blaming David Hopkin for.

It has Absoulotely nothing to do with his skin colour and I don’t understand what your trying to achieve by claiming it does. 

It does. It might not be intentional but for years black footballers get labelled with the same criticisms and even praises from fans and pundits.

When they’re shite they get labelled lazy or petulant and when we praise them it’s always about their physical attributes and how strong they are.

Unfortunately we live in a time and place where racism is so deeply imbedded in our culture that half of the racists genuinely have no idea that what they’re saying is racist or stereotypical.

It does. It might not be intentional but for years black footballers get labelled with the same criticisms and even praises from fans and pundits.

When they’re shite they get labelled lazy or petulant and when we praise them it’s always about their physical attributes and how strong they are.

Unfortunately we live in a time and place where racism is so deeply imbedded in our culture that half of the racists genuinely have no idea that what they’re saying is racist or stereotypical.
100% this black players are tagged with the strong and agresive and white guys intelligent and skillfully not saying we have supporters calling him the N word but wither on purpose or not he's getting abused for stuff that for example Ashford or Moff would not

29 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'd love to belive that, Shankland could have cost us the league one championship when he got sent of against Stranraer but not a word was said, he turned us down once and screwed around McCall by not turning up for a signing meeting the season before and also left us for a rival team but the love for him is still there and for all his goals I 100% get that but if Tomi had done any if these things he would have been slaughtered, you have to ask yourself what's the difference.

The comparison between Tomi and Shanks is a non starter. Shankland scored 50 goals in 60 games for us. He almost single-handedly got us promoted. With that kind of record you’ll be forgiven almost anything.