The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think I’m still in shock, but I’m not sure what is causing it the most - is it our implosion, or is it that Lee Bullen genuinely thought that Mark McKenzie was a better option than Daire O’ Connor for three months... 

I wonder the same about Gondoh? He didn’t have the best game at Hamilton away and then we have never seen the guy since. There could be a player there with Gondoh, but we will probably never find out, because Bullen prefers his square pegs in round holes. 

Honestly can't belive that some moronic minority of our fan base are going to chase off the best striker we have had at the club since Shankland all because he doesn't run about like a headless chicken, maybe I'm reading to much in to his latest tweet but the message I took from it was you don't miss what you have until it's gone

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Honestly can't belive that some moronic minority of our fan base are going to chase off the best striker we have had at the club since Shankland all because he doesn't run about like a headless chicken, maybe I'm reading to much in to his latest tweet but the message I took from it was you don't miss what you have until it's gone

You're not reading too much into it. He's basically saying "Best of luck replacing me. See ya." He's right.

I'm genuinely baffled that the boy isn't idolised by our entire fan base. At this level, he sticks out a country mile. But as you say, he doesn't do either of the most important things as a striker. Kiss the badge, and chase the ball.

9 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

You're not reading too much into it. He's basically saying "Best of luck replacing me. See ya." He's right.

I'm genuinely baffled that the boy isn't idolised by our entire fan base. At this level, he sticks out a country mile. But as you say, he doesn't do either of the most important things as a striker. Kiss the badge, and chase the ball.

Frankly, I think for a number who dislike him it is a cover for their bias. Which is abhorrent.

I even saw some people writing that this is the worst Ayr team ever assembled. Dunno how people can write that when there’s been Ayr teams fighting down the bottom end of League One in the past.

I can understand people thinking Murdoch was more deserving of the award and realistically it was always going to be between the two of them but I personally voted for Tomi due to his goals and knowing that it would annoy a section of fans if he won.

11 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Several of us have said it for months, he will be incredibly difficult to replace. 

His work rate was actually decent yesterday as well at times, won us a penalty with his usual fantastic strength with his back to goal, played a wonderful through ball to Ashford who should have done better and linked up well with O’Connor especially. He missed a couple of chances and he is immediately the fall guy. He played well yesterday despite that, strikers miss chances - it happens. 

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It was in reply to someone who tweeted...something to him. Been deleted along with the account now though so don't know what was said

There’s still shit like this though 

E1113829-6103-4947-9E16-5CAA97938063.png

I don't think I've seen a player so divided in a fanbase in my life. 

Personally, I think it's been great when people devote this much towards a footballer weather if its worshiping him or thinking he's shite and I would happily keep him for next season to see how this plays out. 

Now the dust has settled a little, you can always appraise a performance a little better. We were organised out of possession and a huge threat in possession - we kept the ball well and won it back without Dunfermline getting near our goal. 

In the first half especially: O’Connor, Tomi and Murdoch were imperious. Muirhead, McGinty and Houston were all very good too and everyone else contributed. We saw a level of aggression from Houston in his defending that we only occasionally see, we need to see it far more regularly. 

The margins at this level can be horrible at times, Dunfermline didn’t have a clear cut chance until they were 2-1 up. Muirhead made one error of judgement in the entire game and was punished for it. McAdams didn’t have a save to make and then failed to save two routine ones. We didn’t deserve to lose, but we did - it happens. Continue to perform like that, with a little more luck and I imagine we would be fine. 

ETA, Bullen needs to have faith in that side for the rest of the season. The only slight tweak could be Ashford out left as he seems to offer far more there. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Now the dust has settled a little, you can always appraise a performance a little better. We were organised out of possession and a huge threat in possession - we kept the ball well and won it back without Dunfermline getting near our goal. 
In the first half especially: O’Connor, Tomi and Murdoch were imperious. Muirhead, McGinty and Houston were all very good too and everyone else contributed. We saw a level of aggression from Houston in his defending that we only occasionally see, we need to see it far more regularly. 
The margins at this level can be horrible at times, Dunfermline didn’t have a clear cut chance until they were 2-1 up. Muirhead made one error of judgement in the entire game and was punished for it. McAdams didn’t have a save to make and then failed to save two routine ones. We didn’t deserve to lose, but we did - it happens. Continue to perform like that, with a little more luck and I imagine we would be fine. 
ETA, Bullen needs to have faith in that side for the rest of the season. The only slight tweak could be Ashford out left as he seems to offer far more there. 

I’m very confident that if we stick with the same side as yesterday and play to the level that we did, then we’ll be fine in the playoffs.

The only thing sticking in my craw is that if we’d played that team consistently then we’d be nowhere near the bottom two. As it stands we’ve had a mixture of injuries to key players and Bullen being stubborn with McKenzie and only playing one up front.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m very confident that if we stick with the same side as yesterday and play to the level that we did, then we’ll be fine in the playoffs.

The only thing sticking in my craw is that if we’d played that team consistently then we’d be nowhere near the bottom two. As it stands we’ve had a mixture of injuries to key players and Bullen being stubborn with McKenzie and only playing one up front.

Yeah, I can’t begin to fathom why O’Connor hasn’t been playing - even in games at home we required to win. Even going back to Bullen benching Tomi for several games, before he was injured. Bullen has taken far too long to figure it out, but at least he has got there eventually. If we get Dempsey fit, that would add an extra dimension to us too. 

O’Connor won’t light it up like that every week, but at his worst he will still get us up the park as he will take others out the game and can actually play passes and keep the ball. He also works hard defensively and positionally looked far better than McKenzie in terms of that too. Truly baffling.  Teams will see the impact he had yesterday and will double up on him - Dunfermline attempted it and he still got by them. 

11 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Do you think Tomi winning poty award might tempt him to stay next season?

He'll probably want to go to a Championship club instead, even given the huge draw of four games against Falkirk to tempt him to stay.

25 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

O’Connor won’t light it up like that every week, but at his worst he will still get us up the park as he will take others out the game and can actually play passes and keep the ball. He also works hard defensively and positionally looked far better than McKenzie in terms of that too. Truly baffling. 

This is the key, when under pressure O'Connor is an out ball and moves us up the pitch. McKenzie can't accomplish that. I'm assuming O'Connor was properly injured otherwise Bullen would have kept him on. 

This is the key, when under pressure O'Connor is an out ball and moves us up the pitch. McKenzie can't accomplish that. I'm assuming O'Connor was properly injured otherwise Bullen would have kept him on. 

Someone said he took a knock and asked to come off.