The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCall really has no imagination when it comes to signings, that will be about the 8th or 9th ex ayr player at Firhill that and rangers youth players seems to be his policy. Not saying it won’t work but just seems lazy to me. Was the same when he first came in to us finding ex players he managed. He ended up taking Doolan just to point score with the Partick fans over Caldwell and was constant rumours over him trying to get Bannigan.

8 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

McCall really has no imagination when it comes to signings, that will be about the 8th or 9th ex ayr player at Firhill that and rangers youth players seems to be his policy. Not saying it won’t work but just seems lazy to me. Was the same when he first came in to us finding ex players he managed. He ended up taking Doolan just to point score with the Partick fans over Caldwell and was constant rumours over him trying to get Bannigan.

He went after players that worked with him before and knew what they were capable of. He also signed captains from other teams and half the division team of the year from The season before. That’s how we ended up with Trouten again. 
There will be very few players from his First spell at Thistle still playing other than Muirhead. I doubt he’d be able to afford half the players that played for him when he was at Ayr. 

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Fjortoft for POTY.

He genuinely looked like he had a point to prove on Saturday. He's never a footballer, but if you embrace him for the big wrestler he is.....

5 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

He genuinely looked like he had a point to prove on Saturday. He's never a footballer, but if you embrace him for the big wrestler he is.....

I've already voted for him 50 times.

ETA: not really.

Edited by Richey Edwards

16 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

And hilariously he still managed to look more competent on the ball than Houston...

45 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

There is 100% a good player in Maxwell but he's still very young and inconsistent also we have never seen him play his natural position of left back he's not bad as a wide left midfielder but never as a central midfielder

We are probably at the stage that it is too late to drop him for a rest and reset given it is the business end of the league. Kind of feel for Bullen on this one though as others cited McCall dropping the young lads. The difference is he had an decent pool of players to draw from, they weren't quite interchangeable but you could rely on them. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

On Saturday, it looked like McKenzie was playing in the middle and Maxwell wide left with no one wide right. We were also rotten.

Ashford wide left and O’Conner wide right looked a lot better in the second half.

Thought Ashford played that position well after the substitution  was made and would like to see him starting there on Saturday  

36 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Thought Ashford played that position well after the substitution  was made and would like to see him starting there on Saturday  

Again, it is square pegs in round holes, like Muirhead in midfield, it will work for so long then doesn’t. 
Maxwell and McKenzie hasn’t really worked for a few weeks so I would try and start with at least Ashford wide left on Saturday. 

50 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Potentially on the right, as he has the work rate and pace to match Dom Thomas as well as causing him issues the other way. 

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Again, it is square pegs in round holes, like Muirhead in midfield, it will work for so long then doesn’t. 
Maxwell and McKenzie hasn’t really worked for a few weeks so I would try and start with at least Ashford wide left on Saturday. 

I’m not sure that is the case with Ashford, he looks far better out wide or off a striker. He looks pretty ineffective as a lone striker. 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

You'll be accused of coming on here and saying positive things about players next! Totally agree, his pace makes an incredible difference on the flanks. Tomi was looking a bit more physical than normal on Saturday, maybe he's finally adapting to that side of it up here as well. Between the pair of them I reckon Bryden's energy in the middle of it may pay dividends against Dunfermline. Need to just get at them from the start, especially if Chalmers is starting to overrun him. 

Totally agree with this there is no doubt Dunfermline are strongest up there left hand side keep that quiet and I think we could get a result. Big bonus for us if Doran’s still out as he runs the show when he is playing, if we have Adeloye and Bryden playing they will cause them problems. Our nightmare is Murdoch out we will get overrun if he’s out.

13 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Basically the same except Maxwell against Kilmarnock instead of McKenzie. 

I have just looked at the video of the goals but they seem to have got Maxwell and Reading mixed up? i.e. it says Goal F is Reading in the voting form and I am pretty sure that in the video F is Maxwell's equaliser!

32 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I have just looked at the video of the goals but they seem to have got Maxwell and Reading mixed up? i.e. it says Goal F is Reading in the voting form and I am pretty sure that in the video F is Maxwell's equaliser!

I didn't watch the video tbh.