The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

37 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

In agreement with most of the that , think it’s obvious he either does not trust or rate O’Connor or Gondoh , both them are not good defensively thus leaving full back wide open , would rather Moff played before any of them 

You only have to defend if you don't have the ball. 

We set up not to have much of the ball, be direct and move the ball fast. This hasn't worked for the majority of the season. For the first part we didn't have the midfield capable. We do now but persist with the same style of play without trying to change it. One or two up front doesn't matter if the supporting players can't get the ball near to either of them. 

At Raith it was obvious that their full backs weren't up to it and they didn't like crosses in to the box and we capitalised. Morton looked the same, push their full backs back up the park and get crosses in. We are very one dimensional. 

One criticism I would aim at Adeloye, he can be brilliant when he wants to be, running defenders ragged, other times he is less involved. Still scores in both performances though.

Bullens brief coming in would have been stay up at all costs if the football improved short term that would be a bonus, we have 5 games left and I think 6 points would see us more than safe, quite glad the games against Dunfermline and QotS are away because we seem to play so much better away from home, he's talked about a style or a philosophy of football being something that he would be looking to bring in pre season and hopefully with more of his own team and a proper backroom staff (no offence to the guys who have helped out since Jan) we will see an improvement on the field.

If we lose both games to Dunfermline and QOTS we could be in the deepest of shite. We really need to pick up points against Hamilton and Inverness and hope we match or better the other two. 

Both Dunfermline and QOTS will be looking at the Ayr game as an escape route from either the automatic drop or the play-off place. 

If we go out and perform like we did against Arbroath or the early parts of the Kilmarnock game then it will be absolutely inexcusable. 

A good performance on Friday night, under the lights in a must win game is the ideal chance for Bullen to start building momentum for next season and maybe have us breathing a bit more easily going in to that double header. 

If we lose both games to Dunfermline and QOTS we could be in the deepest of shite. We really need to pick up points against Hamilton and Inverness and hope we match or better the other two. 
Both Dunfermline and QOTS will be looking at the Ayr game as an escape route from either the automatic drop or the play-off place. 
If we go out and perform like we did against Arbroath or the early parts of the Kilmarnock game then it will be absolutely inexcusable. 
A good performance on Friday night, under the lights in a must win game is the ideal chance for Bullen to start building momentum for next season and maybe have us breathing a bit more easily going in to that double header. 
If you fail to break you're Palmerston hoodoo this year then you should be automatically placed in League 2 next season tbh.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
38 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you fail to break you're Palmerston hoodoo this year then you should be automatically placed in League 2 next season tbh.

Agreed 

16 hours ago, Death in Vegas said:

ersonally a think your miles off in terms of him getting a move to the premiership. A think he’s fine for this level and without his goals we would be fucked. The chances he’s missed he could of scored another 7 at least should of had a hat trick against Hamilton for a start and should of scored at rugby park. A don’t think he’s got the technical ability the work rate or the finishing to go higher personally. Saying all that I would be doing everything to keep him next season. I’m trying think of a player to compare him to we’ve had. Wardlaw a would say is a similar comparison in terms of ability, he would tend run and run but. His ceiling was playing for us never done it when he went to St Mirren. He was a real fans fav at the time aswell.

All about opinions I suppose , I’d say he’s more Eddie Annand than Wardlaw however . Time will tell , He could hit the 15 goals mark this season , with no penalty’s included that’s a pretty good total . Think he’d need another big or bigger season to crack the high end of L2 or better down south . Up here however he has done well against Dundee United and Killie , so his game is known .. Hopefully he stays and we can add an Andy Walker type to play beside him .

Not much more to add to what's already been said about Saturday - just thought McAdams could (and probably should) have punched rather than try to catch both disallowed goals, especially knowing the physical presence of Ugwu was in the vicinity and likely to make a 'nuisance' of himself. Ref did us a favour - glad it wasn't Stephen McLean. Well taken goal by Tomi (both Morton defenders lookin at each other tell its own story) and sincerely hope he's fit for Friday.

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

The one major difference being that Kilmarnock and Arbroath are the top 2 in the league and Dunfermline and Queens are the bottom 2 in the league.

We weren't great on Saturday (far from it), however it was still good enough to take a deserved point away to a team who are unbeaten at home under their new Manager.

I'm the first to admit that we're not a very good side, however we're certainly no worse than most others in this league and really don't need to be great due to the poor standard of the rest, that's the really sad part of it all.

2 hours ago, Jazzar said:

Not much more to add to what's already been said about Saturday - just thought McAdams could (and probably should) have punched rather than try to catch both disallowed goals, especially knowing the physical presence of Ugwu was in the vicinity and likely to make a 'nuisance' of himself. Ref did us a favour - glad it wasn't Stephen McLean. Well taken goal by Tomi (both Morton defenders lookin at each other tell its own story) and sincerely hope he's fit for Friday.

McAdams is a very good shot stopper and on the whole has done well for us, however he's a bit small and fragile to be a top quality keeper and his inability to come off his line and dominate his area has cost us on more than one occasion this season and doesn't really help our already fragile defence either.

Still, I suppose there's other areas of the pitch that are a more immediate priority for upgrades.

23 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

The jury is still out on Lee Bullen. He’s been tasked with keeping us in the division which he’s currently on course to do. 

We’ve had a few really impressive away results/performances at Killie, Kirkcaldy and Inverness however home form is a worry. I don’t think Hopkin or Duffy would of went up to these places and won.

Bullens use of subs does concern me at times though, we needed a goal against Arbroath and he takes off an attacking player to bring on a centre half. Just felt like he was happy to take the 1-0 defeat and get down the road. Gondoh and O’Connor can’t get near the team even when we’re chasing a goal. I suspect both will be away in the summer along with a lot of the others. 

I appreciate that nobody is saying for one moment that he should be sacked but I do kind of wonder what some of our fans are expecting in terms of win rates and indeed performances, given the size of our budget and the players which are already at the club.

In all my years supporting Ayr, I can honestly say that there's only about 3 or 4 seasons where I was really content / happy with both our squad and performances (2 under McCall and 2 under Dalziel), however under Dalziel we had silly money to spend and were signing guys who were either top class coming to the ends of their careers such as Andy Walker, Pat McGinley, Yogi Hughes, Luc Soner etc or the best of the young guys such as Gary Teale or big wages guys like John Davies, James Grady, Eddie Annand, Glynn Hurst etc.

Under McCall, we eventually ended up playing some amazing football (Sandy Stewart to thank ??) and we got the best out of exciting attacking talent like Shankland, Forrest, Moff, McCowan and even McDaid on occasion and did great to pluck Rose, Harvie, Doohan and Smith from higher league youth sides.

Unfortunately, it doesn't ALWAYS work like that and we only tend to remember the good times rather than the times we were all questioning McCall for playing Robbie out of position consistently, getting pumped by the Talbot, giving contract extensions to players who were quite obviously done and then failing to compete between December and March due to "pitch issues". 

As I say, every Manager has problems, Dick Campbell is getting all the plaudits this year, however in previous seasons has been perceived as a mediocre League 1 Manager at best by many and as the old saying goes, you're only as good as your last result which in this era of constant focus has never rung truer.

I really do think that we need to accept that Bullen (along with everyone else) will make tactical errors, he'll pick players we don't all rate and he'll no doubt play in a way which he thinks is best with the hand he's dealt, which again we may not all be ecstatic about, however we just need to put our trust in Bullen and the other coaches and hope that our players turn up at 3pm on Saturday and do their best.

That of course is not to say that we shouldn't criticise or post what we think should be done better, but as long as the players are playing for the jersey and we're competing on the pitch, then at the moment that's all we can really hope for.

Until such time as we're safe from relegation and Bullen is given the time and money to mould his own team with his own playing style, then at that point if we're not getting the results or performances then by all means we should be questioning, but right now I firmly believe we need to cut him some slack and get right behind the team as I really believe next season will be much different (in a positive way), should we manage to stay up.

I think the shite we have had to endure with Hopkin and Duffy has lowered expectations significantly tbh which is probably fair. Pretty much everyone is giving Bullen the benefit of the doubt.

That doesn't mean you cannot have doubts about his decisions or criticise his judgement. I recall Manchester United fans moaning about the tactical naivety of Sir Alex. That's the reality, in a lot of ways it's never good enough. We as fans are always striving for better. That's football.

I have no doubt that Ayr should be doing better than scrambling to 8th place via goal difference (last season) and 8th place this season (hopefully we can usurp one of Hamilton or Morton and be comfortable). That isn't what success looks like for me.

In terms of next season - I'd take middling season of decent football, avoiding a relegation battle, finishing 6th and a wee cup run thrown in. The last couple of seasons have been fucking grim viewing.

Edited by Trogdor

28 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think the shite we have had to endure with Hopkin and Duffy has lowered expectations significantly tbh which is probably fair. Pretty much everyone is giving Bullen the benefit of the doubt.

That doesn't mean you cannot have doubts about his decisions or criticise his judgement. I recall Manchester United fans moaning about the tactical naivety of Sir Alex. That's the reality, in a lot of ways it's never good enough. We as fans are always striving for better. That's football.

I have no doubt that Ayr should be doing better than scrambling to 8th place via goal difference (last season) and 8th place this season (hopefully we can usurp one of Hamilton or Morton and be comfortable). That isn't what success looks like for me.

In terms of next season - I'd take middling season of decent football, avoiding a relegation battle, finishing 6th and a wee cup run thrown in. The last couple of seasons have been fucking grim viewing.

I suppose real hope is what we're all striving for, where we can enter a season believing we have a good quality squad who will not only have us potentially challenging for promotion but also who will have us off our seats / bouncing up and down on our crush barriers on the NT / SRE with excitement.

As they say, it's the hope that kills you but should we stay up then at least we'll have a whole closed season to re-balance our hopes and expectations and with any luck see Mathie, Glendinning and Bullen pull a few rabbits out of the hat for next year.

We can but hope.....

This season has proven that there isn't a massive difference between teams in the Championship other than consistency. Any team can beat another. 

We have not had consistency since McCall left, maybe even slightly before. Having consistency would be a start for this team. Being good to watch is another. Both Daziel and McCall liked to play football, with wingers. The most successful times Ayr have had have been when we have played attractive football. 

Right now we are not consistent, good to watch or hard to beat. None of this team (apart from Moffat) are ever likely to trouble a vote on a legends table in the Hub any time soon. 

Improvement should be the expectation currently. 

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Until such time as we're safe from relegation and Bullen is given the time and money to mould his own team with his own playing style, then at that point if we're not getting the results or performances then by all means we should be questioning, but right now I firmly believe we need to cut him some slack and get right behind the team as I really believe next season will be much different (in a positive way), should we manage to stay up.

I agree with a lot of what you've written. For me, while some games have been extremely frustrating indeed, the general trajectory under Bullen/Mathie has been improvement. I remember after that shambolic 3-0 defeat away to QoS, I was absolutely convinced we were going to be relegated. That game we lost 3-0 but if it had been 6-0 I don't think any Ayr supporter would have said it was unjust.

Since then we have seen significantly better levels of commitment from the players and had some good results. It is very disappointing we are not already safe but as I say, given where we were just a few months ago it's not completely surprising.

We will probably get a better idea of what Bullen plans on doing when we see who he releases at the end of the season. Until then I am going to reserve judgement.

NB - I reserve the right to retract all of the above if we lose on Friday!!