The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 21/03/2022 at 14:22, diegomarahenry said:

Unfortunately for “sir Dougie” we will be working on it all week to make sure it won’t happen again so I am sure Sean McGinty and Aaron Muirhead have taken this on board and will not let it happen a third week in a row………..

image.gif.ddd72b8f27890effc75babe7eac88a5f.gif

Sean McGinty .... oh please! soccer GIF

Just now, HMIP said:

Other than Alex Ferguson , which is an odd choice given he was a journeyman striker who was done by the time he came to Ayr, I’d happily have a table for everyone on the list!  

Craig Conway? 

Craig Conway? 

Conway, Ferguson and Devlin shouldn’t really be on that list. No denying how good Conway and Devlin were for us but I’ve never really considered either of them legends for us. Shankland just sneaks in because of how good he actually was and was part of our first title winning squad in umpteen years.

Despite the fact I’ve never seen them play, it should go to guys like Stewart, Malone, Fleming and Murphy.

Ayr were the first club to offer Ferguson a job in coaching. He said that if it wasn't for McLeod talking him in to it he might have focused on hospitality full time.  His time at Ayr from what I see (I am to young) was fairly unremarkable so I don't really see any need to jump on to his coat-tails for relevance. 

We are not Queens Park. 

Sanny was at the club for 14 years, Spud Murphy was 15 years. Over 750 appearances between them. Both were before my time but should have been two of the first tables in the bar. 

There are a few players who went on to bigger things, Steve Nicol for one but I don't know if he already has a table there. 

18 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Sanny was at the club for 14 years, Spud Murphy was 15 years. Over 750 appearances between them. Both were before my time but should have been two of the first tables in the bar. 

There are a few players who went on to bigger things, Steve Nicol for one but I don't know if he already has a table there. 

Yes Steve Nicol already has 1 

6 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Yes Steve Nicol already has 1 

I saw on the picture they added to the vote that Johnny Doyle has one. Was famous for playing elsewhere like Nicol but got his first cap while at Ayr.

Some of the players are generational, I never saw Sanny or spud play but looking at their careers they are club legends. 

Davie Craig was a great player but wasn’t at Ayr as long as either of them. John Traynor was a solid  7/10 player every week and got a testimonial. Was he as iconic and Cally? Probably not.

Templeton and Shankland are similar, a level above everyone else for a period of time, almost felt invincible with them in the team but Moffat has been consistent for 12 years(minus 2)