The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

If you’re not giving us cash directly via the club shop you are giving it to our sponsors.

Thanks for your donations to our cause this season.

Oh, I'm always happy to contribute towards the Kilmarnock families, who will gladly accept the 60p I spent on a shitey pie. That'll buy them a candle for central heating, to get them through the rough times/12 month methadone program. Or....though its a very very long shot.... Purchase a much needed bar of soap for their annual bath in a puddle outside.

Always forever thoughtful. 👍

IMG_20220313_233745.jpg

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s a pure confidence player imo. He did well against Raith because he got a good start against Liam Dick and carried on from there. I really like him and I think he is capable of playing at this level but I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe when Hewitt is back we’ll give him a chance at RB but that won’t be until next season.

He's actually having his best season for us statistically as an attacking player.  

He barely completed a cross in his first two seasons (<10%) but he was at about 30% when I last checked this year.  

Houston played in a much better team when he first signed, so maybe he just appeared to show up better and his performances over the last 2 seasons are more reflective of the real standard he’s at.  That said, I do seem to remember him getting around the park a lot faster when he first arrived, but maybe that was just compared to Andy Geggan who’s legs had pretty much gone that year. 

12 hours ago, Roxanne&#x27;s man said:

Oh, I'm always happy to contribute towards the Kilmarnock families, who will gladly accept the 60p I spent on a shitey pie. That'll buy them a candle for central heating, to get them through the rough times/12 month methadone program. Or....though its a very very long shot.... Purchase a much needed bar of soap for their annual bath in a puddle outside.

Always forever thoughtful. 👍

IMG_20220313_233745.jpg

Your photoshops are horrendous.

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Houston played in a much better team when he first signed, so maybe he just appeared to show up better and his performances over the last 2 seasons are more reflective of the real standard he’s at.  That said, I do seem to remember him getting around the park a lot faster when he first arrived, but maybe that was just compared to Andy Geggan who’s legs had pretty much gone that year. 

I'm certain Ayr had the same problem when David Ferguson was playing. We all liked him and wanted him to do well but he never really took off. Houston Is in the same sort of situation, I'd say maybe the league below. He Has his moments of brilliance, though few and far between.

I'm unsure where David Ferguson is now, think he was last at Berwick 🤔

50 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Your photoshops are horrendous.

I know 😂 self aware.

Truth be told though, without the crap derby banter, Killie put Ayr to bed in the first half. Second half was a better showing for Ayr. Though the 3-1 scoreline says it all. 

As much as I detest it, it was a good victory for killie.

31 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Been thinking most of our best performances this season have been on the astro, is it time to make the switch?

I remember watching the videos Raith TV did when they put in an astro pitch. Pouring concrete on what was a grass pitch seemed like an act of vandalism. It's maybe just an aesthetic choice but I would much prefer a grass pitch (of any quality) to astro.

Been thinking most of our best performances this season have been on the astro, is it time to make the switch?

I know a lot of people would be against it but I’d be in favour of an Astro pitch provided we spent the money on getting a really good quality one.

36 minutes ago, D&#x27;Jaffo said:

I know a lot of people would be against it but I’d be in favour of an Astro pitch provided we spent the money on getting a really good quality one.

Don't go for the B & Q Economy Range like Queens did. Raith's is a good one imo, spending a bit more to get the sub-base right. 

1 hour ago, D&#x27;Jaffo said:

If you'd said 5 years ago, I'd have been screaming heresy but since the groundsman retired our pitch has been a terrible state.

I never watch the EPL, but I watched the Arsenal game with a mate yesterday and the surface was absolutely incredible. A carpet where the ball didn't bobble once. I know we're not going to spend that sort of cash to relay and maintain a grass/synthetic hybrid, but surely something can be done to sort it? Investment in more ground staff? Investment in training current ground staff? Investment in better machinery? Re-lay with top quality soil and seed? All 4? Something definitely needs done about it anyway. I think the main thing is that we train on what our home surface is. Pumped Accies twice this season, Killie, Raith and hopefully QoS next month. All plastic pitches. I change my mind all the time, but I think a top quality grass pitch would be the best choice if we're willing to invest, rather than a plastic park which will need replaced eventually.

24 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

The biggest problem grass pitches face is the severity/intensity of the weather we endure these days *, particularly with rain. I'm sure in future it is going to become harder to maintain a decent playing surface for ten months of the year.

I totally agree but I think a grass pitch is more sustainable in the longer term (5+ years) than the alternative. I'm glad I don't have the decision to make.

(* and probably going to get more severe/intense)

I hate our plastic pitch but there isn’t any doubt that in terms of income it’s been a good choice. I walked round past RP last Thursday night and the place was mobbed with youth teams using the pitch, not 100% certain that it wasn’t our own youth teams but if not then it’s all income that Ayr could be getting too.

Also saw what looked like a lot of parents in the hotel at the time having coffee etc so with you guys having the hub you could be increasing your income on that too.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

I hate our plastic pitch but there isn’t any doubt that in terms of income it’s been a good choice. I walked round past RP last Thursday night and the place was mobbed with youth teams using the pitch, not 100% certain that it wasn’t our own youth teams but if not then it’s all income that Ayr could be getting too.

Also saw what looked like a lot of parents in the hotel at the time having coffee etc so with you guys having the hub you could be increasing your income on that too.

Tbf too ayr utd right now .off the pitch we are doing everything right .

For years the club has done next to nothing to bring extra ££ in . Im pretty sure a new pitch is in the pipeline .aswell as a major refurbishment of the North terrace.

4 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

I never watch the EPL, but I watched the Arsenal game with a mate yesterday and the surface was absolutely incredible. A carpet where the ball didn't bobble once. I know we're not going to spend that sort of cash to relay and maintain a grass/synthetic hybrid, but surely something can be done to sort it? Investment in more ground staff? Investment in training current ground staff? Investment in better machinery? Re-lay with top quality soil and seed? All 4? Something definitely needs done about it anyway. I think the main thing is that we train on what our home surface is. Pumped Accies twice this season, Killie, Raith and hopefully QoS next month. All plastic pitches. I change my mind all the time, but I think a top quality grass pitch would be the best choice if we're willing to invest, rather than a plastic park which will need replaced eventually.

We trained on the grass pitch at Troon Juniors all week before Friday nights derby.

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

We dont rent the pitch out. Its solely used by our youth teams/womens team and first team.

Only time it's ever rented out os for junior cup finals and the odd rugby international.