The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Houston is generally absolutely woeful going forward, bar the Raith game I barely remember him contributing in an attacking sense.  

You said it before I did. There was the Raith game, and a decent cross for Tomi against Hamilton earlier in the season, other than that I’m struggling to think of anything.

We’ve no idea how good Rowe is because he’s barely played but when he’s back from injury he should get a chance. He’s unlikely to contribute any less.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You said it before I did. There was the Raith game, and a decent cross for Tomi against Hamilton earlier in the season, other than that I’m struggling to think of anything.

We’ve no idea how good Rowe is because he’s barely played but when he’s back from injury he should get a chance. He’s unlikely to contribute any less.

Houston is absolutely bizarre, against QOS he was a different level of horrific - couldn’t tackle, shanking everything out of the park. He then did well against Raith, before reverting to type against Kilmarnock. He just isn’t good enough on the ball, and panics far too much. Similar to McKenzie on that sense, so our right hand side is just an utter shambles when we are under pressure. 

10 hours ago, rb123! said:

Bully says about how we knew they attack corners from the front post... yet for the two corners we don't decide to sit a player on the front post side of the 6 yard box.

Bemusing

This is where I would put a good deal of the blame on McGinty. He is both the captain and a centre half so if I were Bullen I would be expecting him to be organising the defence at set pieces.

I don't care if we had just lost a goal, I would expect professionals to be able to get the basics right. I am sure Bullen will know exactly who wasn't doing their job properly.

My own view of how Bullen has done so far (or I should say Bullen/Mathie since recruitment is a big factor), is that with one transfer window they have significantly improved the team both in midfield and up front and moved us from being relegation certainties to having a realistic chance of staying up. If you compare our situation with Dunfermline (who I assume have a bigger budget) and it's clear that Bullen has got us into a better position than them. There are still deficiencies in the team that we can all see but the general direction is positive.

Houston is absolutely bizarre, against QOS he was a different level of horrific - couldn’t tackle, shanking everything out of the park. He then did well against Raith, before reverting to type against Kilmarnock. He just isn’t good enough on the ball, and panics far too much. Similar to McKenzie on that sense, so our right hand side is just an utter shambles when we are under pressure. 

He’s a pure confidence player imo. He did well against Raith because he got a good start against Liam Dick and carried on from there. I really like him and I think he is capable of playing at this level but I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe when Hewitt is back we’ll give him a chance at RB but that won’t be until next season.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s a pure confidence player imo. He did well against Raith because he got a good start against Liam Dick and carried on from there. I really like him and I think he is capable of playing at this level but I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe when Hewitt is back we’ll give him a chance at RB but that won’t be until next season.

Unfortunately you need some kind of level of resilience when things are going against you to be able to play at this level - there is potential there, but I genuinely don’t see it being realised at this point. Obviously hope to be proved wrong. 

I’m definitely interested in how Hewitt does at RB, great engine, decent pace and power - crossing ability and defensively remains to be seen!

My guess with Houston is that he wasn't coached properly by either of the 2 idiots who managed us at the start of the season. I would expect Bullen to work out whether Houston needs an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the arse and duly deliver. I think there's a player in there and so does Bullen, hence the contract. We will see the improvement in fits I.e. at Raith but he will need to deliver that consistently. 

Assuming we stay up this year, I'll definitely be purchasing a season ticket for next season. With Mathie and Glendinning I think we'll assemble a top 4 squad, with players Bullen actually wants, unlike our current situation. Smith goes on about the 5 year plan, stay up and hopefully we can push on.

There will always be shite/mediocre seasons supporting Ayr, but hopefully going forward a shite season is finishing 4th in the Championship, then maybe in a few years finishing 11th in the Premiership. Surely the whole point of supporting your club is to see them climb as high as possible?

Hopefully some stadium development news comes this summer, some decent signings, Cameron's Bar continues to do well, and overall things are looking up on and off the park.

Off the field we are in a better place than maybe any time in our history, the Bar must be a good income stream that will bring money into the club all year round not just on match days, I'm confident Bully is the man but he's still on a learning curve and we have to remember this is the first time he's been the man in charge and he's been out of scottish football for a while I'm sure given the correct coaching team and assistant beside him it will help and I'm impressed with the signings we made in January particularly Dempsey, McInroy and Ashford if that's what Mathie and Glendinning can pull out the hat after a few weeks I'm looking forward to what they can do I'm the summer, there will be bad performances and defeats but that's fitbaw I'm more confident going forward than I have ever been.

At my work but I've got a question not quite related to football 🤔

I went for my lunch at work and picked up a Browning's award winning Pie. Now, usually I'd go for a sandwich, sausage roll or the likes, today I got a Brownings pie.

Took a mouthful and spat it everywhere! Absolutely stinking! How are they winning awards!? It was hoachin! Couldn't believe how bad it was. What do they put in them?

Imo the best pies I've ever had are that of the Home Bakery in Ayr. They sell magically Fantastic pies! Shame I'm in Troon now, Gregg's is the best on offer 😒

Obviously the folks in the Home Bakery are Ayr fans and were shirt sponsors not that long ago. The pies are just beyond amazing!

My question is, Why aren't they supplying Ayr United home games? They'd sell a sh*t load, especially if I was there.

They would also flatten any competition if they entered the same pie competition as Browning's abysmally minging pies.

Killie can seriously f*ck off with their boufing pies!

IMG_20220313_123555.jpg

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Off the field we are in a better place than maybe any time in our history, the Bar must be a good income stream that will bring money into the club all year round not just on match days, I'm confident Bully is the man but he's still on a learning curve and we have to remember this is the first time he's been the man in charge and he's been out of scottish football for a while I'm sure given the correct coaching team and assistant beside him it will help and I'm impressed with the signings we made in January particularly Dempsey, McInroy and Ashford if that's what Mathie and Glendinning can pull out the hat after a few weeks I'm looking forward to what they can do I'm the summer, there will be bad performances and defeats but that's fitbaw I'm more confident going forward than I have ever been.

Off the field we're better, no doubt.

However, on the field we are rancid. The last two seasons we have had 2 relegation battles and we're on manager number 4. We've regressed significantly. When you place the context that this squad is the most expensive we've ever assembled (since Barr) according to Smith - its been a disaster.

I was more confident in 2018/19 when we re-signed Sir Lawrence & McCall was at the reigns. It really did feel like we were building something on the pitch. I've not felt like that since.

Still early days for Bullen to be fair, but we're not there yet. Will be fairer to judge once he gets a summer window under his belt. The hope has to be with Mathie & Glendinning things should be better.

I am concerned Bullen doesn't have his own backroom team and I'm also concerned he wants to retain elements of this squad which aren't good enough. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I went for my lunch at work and picked up a Browning's award winning Pie. Now, usually I'd go for a sandwich, sausage roll or the likes, today I got a Brownings pie.

Took a mouthful and spat it everywhere! Absolutely stinking! How are they winning awards!? It was hoachin! Couldn't believe how bad it was. What do they put in them?

Imo the best pies I've ever had are that of the Home Bakery in Ayr. They sell magically Fantastic pies! Shame I'm in Troon now, Gregg's is the best on offer 😒

Obviously the folks in the Home Bakery are Ayr fans and were shirt sponsors not that long ago. The pies are just beyond amazing!

My question is, Why aren't they supplying Ayr United home games? They'd sell a sh*t load, especially if I was there.

They would also flatten any competition if they entered the same pie competition as Browning's abysmally minging pies.

IMG_20220313_123555.jpg

The Browning pies you get from the shops I recall used to be better a few years back. Now the meat in them is gristly/fatty gym mat quality stuff.

Fully agree with your opinion on the Home Bakery's pies. The Haggis pies they had on sale during Janauary for Burns night were delicious.

Always thought Ayr should sell Haggis pies as one of the catering options.

2 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

The Browning pies you get from the shops I recall used to be better a few years back. Now the meat in them is gristly/fatty gym mat quality stuff.

Fully agree with your opinion on the Home Bakery's pies. The Haggis pies they had on sale during Janauary for Burns night were delicious.

Always thought Ayr should sell Haggis pies as one of the catering options.

Home Bakery haggis pies are amazing, would love to see them on the menu at Somerset on a regular basis

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The argument that there are ups and downs supporting Ayr and we should just accept it for what it is, is a strange position to take. I don't accept the premise of that argument one iota. It's almost as bad as when Uncle Ian referred to us as plucky wee Ayr. A number of people who cite that argument proclaim to be glass half full as well, I'd posit that position is actually a pretty negative outlook tbh.

It's just being a realist I'm afraid.

Unless you are bankrolled by silly money (like Hearts under Romanov) then the reality is that you will most likely have a consistently inconsistent record which will more or less be directly linked to your budget.

There will be the odd "perfect storm" season where you pull a couple of left field signings that just click for you, or you may get a couple of above average boys coming through your youth setup but ultimately anyone that does well will move on to bigger and better things and you'll be back to square one the following season.

That's just the way of it I'm afraid in the post Bosman world of lower league Football.....

6 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

My guess with Houston is that he wasn't coached properly by either of the 2 idiots who managed us at the start of the season. I would expect Bullen to work out whether Houston needs an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the arse and duly deliver. I think there's a player in there and so does Bullen, hence the contract. We will see the improvement in fits I.e. at Raith but he will need to deliver that consistently. 

He's already confirmed that along with Adeloye he's the most sensitive guy in the squad who 100% needs an arm around the shoulder.

So the coaches at Rangers were shite too? First year he was excellent, all downhill from there, guy is rubbish and would struggle in the juniors.

How do you know what he was like at Rangers?

It’s not hard to believe that bad coaching can harm how a young player develops. I really don’t think he’s as bad as some people make out. He’s shown often enough that he can play at this level but like just about every player at this level, needs to become more consistent.

It's make or break for Houston at this level. He's at a crossroads, either he does well for us and kicks on or it'll be a descent down to the juniors as Lochwood suggested.

I used to rate him, he did well when he was on loan and initially once we signed him proper, but for the last 2 years he's been sporadic at best. All told, hes not been good enough going forward or defensively.

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

How do you know what he was like at Rangers?

It’s not hard to believe that bad coaching can harm how a young player develops. I really don’t think he’s as bad as some people make out. He’s shown often enough that he can play at this level but like just about every player at this level, needs to become more consistent.

Yeah he's had some good games but never properly made the position his own. Reckon his level could be the division below where there is a bit more time to think

9 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

IMG_20220313_123555.jpg

If you’re not giving us cash directly via the club shop you are giving it to our sponsors.

Thanks for your donations to our cause this season.