The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The early goal killed us, conceding inside 2 minutes in criminal on any occasion never mind a derby. 

Only slight credit you can give is the fact we seemed to somehow manage to recompose ourselves after going 3 down as i honestly thought the way is was going it could be 5/6/7-0

43 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

I’ll be amazed if this defence keeps us up shower of absolute s—— and we’ve re- signed two of them unbelievable.

To be fair before yesterday they had conceded 6 goals in 7 games which is pretty decent.  

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

It's a good point. Our results are all over the place which seems to match the way the league has gone. Some terrible displays at home whilst taking points in difficult places. As said on here before the main thing is to finish 8th or above and forget about this season. Whilst there are still question marks over Bullen it wasn't too long ago we were in danger of becoming detached in 9th. We are certainly not safe yet but have a cushion that should get us there. Fully expect more of the same with some decent wins and defensive horror shows 

The only thing that's really changed is social media, stats and the constant inquisitions being held after every match (which I'm guilty of myself I may add).

Under MacLeod we had terrible displays, a strange use of substitutes (when only 2 permitted) and at times great displays, mediocre displays and downright horrific displays.

It was the same under McCall and Burley, it was the same under Dalziel and it was much much worse under most others with the exception of a good season under Reid.

We all want a successful team but no matter what anyone posts on here there's very little chance that the wheel will be reinvented when it comes to Football and I think some on here just need to try and accept that and acknowledge that we're going to be beaten from time to time, make mistakes from time to time and generally encounter all the ups and downs which is just the roller coaster emotional ride of supporting Ayr United.....

Edited by WATTOO

It's really something, that I still can't wrap my head around, that the team could, in a Friday night game on tv, at home against your rivals, with that type of crowd, put in that type of performance the first twenty minutes. Shades of the Kerr era cause I can remember a few times under him conceding a goal then a couple others straight (almost)after. Baffling.

To be fair before yesterday they had conceded 6 goals in 7 games which is pretty decent.  

It’s a tricky one. We’ve gave up chances in those games. McAdams had an absolute stormer up at Killie in the derby win and Raith could maybe have scored one or two if luck had been with them.

Stats don’t lie though and I do think that we’ve improved that side of things under Bullen, although when he came in we could only get better at it. Adding the likes of Dempsey has helped as we don’t seem to let every team just run through our midfield now. McGinty isn’t selling a goal a game anymore. However I don’t think we’ll ever be better than 6th or 7th with that defence. Fjortoft can go tbh, and I’d only keep one of Muirhead and Baird. In the summer I’d be looking for a couple of cents halves that can actually be relied upon.

You can go through a re-run of every defender based on last night, they all played yesterday.

Houston - Guy must be laughing at his 18 month deal, bench player for next season.

McGinty - Shows some defensive ability but can have too many clangers, bench player next season. 

Muirhead - Wouldn't be upset if he left in the summer, guy seems to have a massive ego problem.

Fjortoft/Baird - Punt to f**k

Reading - Best defender we've got by far, would be hard to keep him for next year. 

Rowe - Total waste of time of this lad coming up here, only reminder he's still here is when he's giving tickets to schools.

Reading is prone to the odd calamity as well. 

Houston was a wing back when we signed him, the last 3 managers have played him as a full back. He was given the opportunity to go forward against Raith and had a good game. 

Baird has been the least bad of the centre halfs this year. 

McGinty turned in to Maldini in the second half on Friday, was one of the most attacking players on the pitch at one point, pushing forward and trying to get us further up the pitch, still capable of a calamity but if he plays like he did for a period on Friday every week then that could be forgiven. 

Muirhead is a clogger, you need one in a defence, a player that is going to be physical, I don't think it was a surprise that Lafferty matched up against McGinty at corners

Fjortoft is an Effy Ambrose type player, does some good things but also some unbelievably brain melting stuff. 

Would I be sad to see any of them leave in the summer ? probably not. Fjortoft will leave, Rowe will go back to Coventry and maybe Reading will go to a Dundee or Livingston.  

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

You are raging because I was right and that’s not my fault 

But u weren't right about ure raith rovers post... Was like always overly negative and verging on ridiculous... 

Just the dismal first 25 mins of Killie game suited your negative/half glass empty opinions.... 

Supporting Ayr united ure never gonna get a perfect performance every week and ure going to get beat and play shit at times..... 

But hey thats what's makes it interesting..... 

Edited by OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The only thing that's really changed is social media, stats and the constant inquisitions being held after every match (which I'm guilty of myself I may add).

Under MacLeod we had terrible displays, a strange use of substitutes (when only 2 permitted) and at times great displays, mediocre displays and downright horrific displays.

It was the same under McCall and Burley, it was the same under Dalziel and it was much much worse under most others with the exception of a good season under Reid.

We all want a successful team but no matter what anyone posts on here there's very little chance that the wheel will be reinvented when it comes to Football and I think some on here just need to try and accept that and acknowledge that we're going to be beaten from time to time, make mistakes from time to time and generally encounter all the ups and downs which is just the roller coaster emotional ride of supporting Ayr United.....

Exactly couldn't agree more...... Comes hand in hand with supporting Ayr..... And probs will always be this way.... People just need to accept it and realise only way we can seriously improve is getting more people through the gates...... 

Bridging the divide between the town and the club needs to be priority of the back room staff. 

4 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Exactly couldn't agree more...... Comes hand in hand with supporting Ayr..... And probs will always be this way.... People just need to accept it and realise only way we can seriously improve is getting more people through the gates...... 

Bridging the divide between the town and the club needs to be priority of the back room staff. 

That is partly true but then you look at Livingston and Hamilton, both with smaller fanbases than Ayr, yet capable of multiple years in the premier league.

Our policy of living within our means is admirable but also makes success harder to achieve. For years we've just ambled along doing the bare minimum expected of a professional club. You either need a lot of money or a novel approach to get success. We've had neither. But the Mathie/Smith 'revolution' is the most promising thing we've had in 20 years. I hope to God it works because our long suffering fanbase deserve some good times. 

1 hour ago, Young Eddie said:

That is partly true but then you look at Livingston and Hamilton, both with smaller fanbases than Ayr, yet capable of multiple years in the premier league.

Our policy of living within our means is admirable but also makes success harder to achieve. For years we've just ambled along doing the bare minimum expected of a professional club. You either need a lot of money or a novel approach to get success. We've had neither. But the Mathie/Smith 'revolution' is the most promising thing we've had in 20 years. I hope to God it works because our long suffering fanbase deserve some good times. 

Mathie is Killie through and through. 

The argument that there are ups and downs supporting Ayr and we should just accept it for what it is, is a strange position to take. I don't accept the premise of that argument one iota. It's almost as bad as when Uncle Ian referred to us as plucky wee Ayr. A number of people who cite that argument proclaim to be glass half full as well, I'd posit that position is actually a pretty negative outlook tbh.

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Houston was a wing back when we signed him, the last 3 managers have played him as a full back. He was given the opportunity to go forward against Raith and had a good game. 

McGinty turned in to Maldini in the second half on Friday, was one of the most attacking players on the pitch at one point, pushing forward and trying to get us further up the pitch, still capable of a calamity but if he plays like he did for a period on Friday every week then that could be forgiven. 

Muirhead is a clogger, you need one in a defence, a player that is going to be physical, I don't think it was a surprise that Lafferty matched up against McGinty at corners

Fjortoft is an Effy Ambrose type player, does some good things but also some unbelievably brain melting stuff. 

Would I be sad to see any of them leave in the summer ? probably not. Fjortoft will leave, Rowe will go back to Coventry and maybe Reading will go to a Dundee or Livingston.  

This is a pretty accurate synopsis of our defenders . There really will have to be a lot of work done on this area in the summer . Safe to say Glendinning will be busy right now checking out targets . The Redding/McGinty combo’s back-post defence is shocking and has cost us plenty this season . It’s a shame because otherwise Paddy is a decent player , maybe more suited to wingback in a 532 .  As has been said earlier Houston has his issues with defending and is more of a wingback as well . I wonder if Bully intends to go down that route next season ? Either way a couple of centre half’s will need to be signed . Another issue is that  McAdam , while a class shot stopper doesn’t come and take many crosses or corners . 

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The argument that there are ups and downs supporting Ayr and we should just accept it for what it is, is a strange position to take. I don't accept the premise of that argument one iota. It's almost as bad as when Uncle Ian referred to us as plucky wee Ayr. A number of people who cite that argument proclaim to be glass half full as well, I'd posit that position is actually a pretty negative outlook tbh.

Perhaps some are judging on a very unique set of circumstances that have arisen this season and won't be repeated too often. Hopefully the field will be levelled next season and more can be expected 

9 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

You can go through a re-run of every defender based on last night, they all played yesterday.

Houston - Guy must be laughing at his 18 month deal, bench player for next season.

McGinty - Shows some defensive ability but can have too many clangers, bench player next season. 

Muirhead - Wouldn't be upset if he left in the summer, guy seems to have a massive ego problem.

Reading - Best defender we've got by far, would be hard to keep him for next year. 

Rowe - Total waste of time of this lad coming up here, only reminder he's still here is when he's giving tickets to schools.

Where is the idea that Muirhead has a massive ego coming from? He is our only championship standard centre half, albeit a lower half one. 

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Houston is generally absolutely woeful going forward, bar the Raith game I barely remember him contributing in an attacking sense. 

7 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

There is a huge difference between being realistic and accepting utter shite. The first thirty minutes on Friday was completely unacceptable from a professional football side. It was one of the most inept thirty minutes I have ever seen. 

10 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

To be fair to Rowe , the guy is injured and not trained for 10 days