The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I know last night was a disaster for you guys in the first 30 mins but you must’ve been at least a little bit happy with the fight and determination you showed in the second half, looked like we were the team down to 10 men for big chunks of it.
Don't agree with you often but your spot on here

You’re being really fucking generous in your assessment of the first 20 minutes here.
It wasn’t the case that it was an even enough first 20 and Killie just got lucky with our shite defending. We literally couldn’t get a hold of the ball. The defence were almost always camped on our 18 yard line while Killie did what they wanted to with the ball. They didn’t have many clear cut chances outside of our suicidal defending but I don’t think the entire team chasing shadows helped matters.

It was the same in the last derby though. In fact it’s been the case whenever we concede that we have a shite 10 minutes afterwards where we’re more likely to concede another goal. I genuinely think that even after conceding the first goal, if we’d just stopped trying to get back into the game, tried to settle down and get a few touches on the ball then we’d have come back into it. However we then imploded and threw the game.

I wasn’t particularly arsed when Killie went 1-0 up as they can’t keep their performances up all game. They generally drop off after half time. The most infuriating thing is that the players and Bullen would’ve known that after the last derby but for whatever reason they couldn’t recover.

Basic defending cost us Bullen said after the game they knew killie played the corners into the near post so either the players either did not listen or are not capable of following simple instructions, for lots of the game even when down to 10 men we matched them Djaffo is correct if we had just tried to settle down for 10 15 minutes after the goal I'm sure we would have had a chance, in the summer the full defence needs looked at Obvious McGinty is going nowhere but as much as Redding has been decent he really needs to be better at defending maybe its time to give Finn a run out and I'm still not convinced that that Houston is the long term answer at RB

I know last night was a disaster for you guys in the first 30 mins but you must’ve been at least a little bit happy with the fight and determination you showed in the second half, looked like we were the team down to 10 men for big chunks of it.
It was an certainly an unconventional tactic, giving you guys a 3 goal head start and seeing if we could come back at you with 10 men.

I thought we were very impressive at the start of the second half but the game was done. It was a shocking start, and bullen has to take responsibly for that.

A big reaction needed next week.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d say it’s hard to actually judge a performance when you’re 3-0 down due to some shambolic defending and also a man down. Had we avoided that then you could more accurately tell how well our setup did or didn’t work.

It's pretty obvious that our jist dae the same hing approach naturally gave poorer protection to the defence than any of the previous derbies, it was just 15 minutes of nobody looking like they knew where they were, and the players deserve blame as well as the manager for leaving them so exposed.  

Arriving last night and seeing them in a 442 felt like turning up at Firhill earlier in the season to see Duffy had brought the back 5 back and just knowing you are going to get humped. 

We will just have to see where we end up with this Bullen experiment but he'll be here next year so we just need to put up with it and hope these kind of mistakes are learned.  

27 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You feeling okay?

9 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm still not convinced that that Houston is the long term answer at RB

I think if Bullen has any sense and wants to shows fans of the team his intent, a decent right back should be the first thing he brings in. I think Houston struggles far far too often at this level.

Reading isn't too bad but isn't the strongest defensively. Other positions seem quite decent though, Mcinroy played his heart out last night and I'd love to see him Stay at Ayr beyond the end of the season. I'd love Adeloye to stay and build his partnership with Ashford. Dempsey has changed this team, so getting him in must be high on the list. Hoping to see Kenyon soon. 

Just get rid of the pish defence in the summer rebuild and this team will go places.

40 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You’re being really fucking generous in your assessment of the first 20 minutes here.

It wasn’t the case that it was an even enough first 20 and Killie just got lucky with our shite defending. We literally couldn’t get a hold of the ball. The defence were almost always camped on our 18 yard line while Killie did what they wanted to with the ball. They didn’t have many clear cut chances outside of our suicidal defending but I don’t think the entire team chasing shadows helped matters.

You must have the other half of my brain!  

57 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

On Bullen - My view is that it is too early to judge one way or the other. I don't buy into the 'he's building something' or the 'he's tactically naive'. I'm slap bang in the middle.

19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We will just have to see where we end up with this Bullen experiment but he'll be here next year so we just need to put up with it and hope these kind of mistakes are learned.  

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It's pretty obvious that our jist dae the same hing approach naturally gave poorer protection to the defence than any of the previous derbies, it was just 15 minutes of nobody looking like they knew where they were, and the players deserve blame as well as the manager for leaving them so exposed.  

Arriving last night and seeing them in a 442 felt like turning up at Firhill earlier in the season to see Duffy had brought the back 5 back and just knowing you are going to get humped. 

Was speaking to a Killie fan at work today (who was surprisingly magnanimous, smug p***k) who expressed his own surprise that we took a man out the midfield and went “gung ho” as he put it.  As others see us?

I see Bet365 have refunded me bet credits on my James Maxwell anytime to score bet, presumably because he was hooked after 20 minutes.  You know it’s been a bad night when the bookies are taking pity on you.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Just a pity that it was over in the first 15 minutes. That was killies biggest 3 points this season and I'd doubt they had many easier too. 

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Those results let us off the hook a little. One more game ticked off. Maybe two more wins will be enough.

Maybe more than that I think, we've got the Pars away on the 16th April, then QOS away the following week. If we could secure safety in those 4 games leading upto that it would be good. Really don't want to be heading into that Pars game with relegation still a possibility.

The galling thing is that in the preview Bullen and Murdoch talked about the importance of the game and needing to be focussed and ready for the intense start to a derby. And then they proceed to do exactly the opposite, knowing full well it was expected. So who is at fault: management, players or both? 

Jury is still out for me on Bullen but we've cycled through managers in comedy fashion recently so need to stick with someone for a bit and see what happens.

I don't think the shape helped last night but for me the individual errors were the bigger problem.  Reading diving in at the first followed by Muirhead watching the ball rather than spotting the obvious threat posed by McKenzie. Two corners where we failed to put a man in position to deal with the flat delivery or have a man on the back post to deal with any flick on. Lack of leadership again and the same problems that have dogged us all season.

Bullen made some excellent signings in January and I'm happy to think he can sort the defence out given time and resources.

19 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

The galling thing is that in the preview Bullen and Murdoch talked about the importance of the game and needing to be focussed and ready for the intense start to a derby. And then they proceed to do exactly the opposite, knowing full well it was expected. So who is at fault: management, players or both? 

Jury is still out for me on Bullen but we've cycled through managers in comedy fashion recently so need to stick with someone for a bit and see what happens.

Agree with this. I was sceptical about Bullen after the 1-0 loss to QOS, then the week after we beat Raith 4-0 and I thought "ah good he has learned to be more positive and change tactics when it suits". Then last night happened and some doubts have returned.

However I'll likely be more paitient with Bullen purely because he isn't from the usual merry-go-round of dud lower league Scottish managers whose names always crop up when they are vacancies outside the top league.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

This sort of stuff really, really pisses me off if I'm being honest as the facts are that we horsed Raith 4-0 last week with Bullens "tactical failures" and although losing to Queens the previous week we managed to also beat Killie and Inverness away in recent weeks, again, with the same supposedly tactically naive Bullen in charge.

I've said it a hundred times, but what the Hell do people realistically expect ? 

Name me a team in this league (or indeed the one above) that doesn't suffer from major inconsistencies and end up on the wrong end of a scudding every few weeks ?

Basically we're all of a pretty similar level, we all have players with limited ability and the harsh reality is that some we'll win and some we'll lose, irrespective of who our Managers and coaches are. The players are guilty of both personal and collective mistakes but that's why they're playing at this level in the first place !!

Would some rather we go back to a Hopkin / Duffy style of Management and recruitment ??

Yes, we seemed to freeze last night (for whatever reason) and Killie did take their chances well.

Should we have played Dempsey from the start ? probably. Should we have dropped Adeloye or Ashford to the bench ? on hindsight, probably ? Would the fans have been happy had Bullen done so ? Definitely not.

Lots of ifs and buts I suppose, however I was very impressed with the second half showing with Dempsey and McInroy absolutely superb and Murdoch not far behind them.

Yes, it was a hard one to take but I'm definitely not prepared to write off Bullen or any of our team just yet and still have 100% confidence that we'll stay up.

It's a good point. Our results are all over the place which seems to match the way the league has gone. Some terrible displays at home whilst taking points in difficult places. As said on here before the main thing is to finish 8th or above and forget about this season. Whilst there are still question marks over Bullen it wasn't too long ago we were in danger of becoming detached in 9th. We are certainly not safe yet but have a cushion that should get us there. Fully expect more of the same with some decent wins and defensive horror shows 

So we knew all about Killie corners and worked on it in training, so why the f—- did we not comply, and the two players who were taken off because we needed to change our shape nothing more.

the first goal Mcginty and Reading absolute shocking one canny tackle and the other is on his arse

the second Mcginty again( no surprise) loses Lafferty for the knock on and Houston at the bag post is obviously dazzled by the crowd wondering why they have there phones on game over

the third oh right we know about these corners they’ve had two already and scor3d and nearly scored so go ahead Killie have another go. As I’ve said I’ll be amazed if this defence keeps us up shower of absolute s—— and we’ve re- signed two of them unbelievable.