The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Don’t know what to make of Bullen.  He’s clearly got bags of enthusiasm and there has been a clear improvement already in the recruitment of new players.  On the other hand, there’s a tactical naïveté about him that has verged on ineptitude at times.  Last night was extreme, but when you consider the dire performances against Queens and Morton as well as the early capitulation against St Mirren in the cup it didn’t come out of nowhere.  The wins over Kilmarnock and Inverness were built on the midfield 3 of Dempsey, Murdoch and McInroy, so I guess we should build around that.  Maybe Bullen just got carried away by the win against a Raith side that have been in full implosion mode for weeks.  

7 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Is Adeloye any good against anyone other than Dylan McGowan? Absolutely atrocious last night again 🤣

Given we couldn’t get out our own half or complete a pass during his time on the park it was hardly surprising. He was given the ball to feet twice in the first half, and played a lovely pass to set up a goal within that. 

That is the worst derby performance I've ever witnessed at Somerset. I've seen us as League One/Division 2 team hold them at Somerset or even beat them when they were 2 divisions above. Then we're in the same league and capitulate in the manner we did. It's nowhere near the standard we should expect in such a game.

I'm not convinced the system was the issue. I think the frailties in the back line that have been known all season came back to haunt us. We've not been able to defend crosses adequately all season. We also have a soft center and once we concede we end up rattled for a 5/10 minute spell and are susceptible to conceding again. 

It's a reality check for the players. 8th is the target, talk of anything more can be binned.

As for Fjortoft, it's time he becomes a wrestler as he has no future as a professional footballer.

Edited by Trogdor

Thinking about it this morning, as much as I wanted a return to the three in the middle, I can see why Bullen stuck with two up front. 

Murdoch and McInroy are every bit as good as McGinn and Alston at this level, and it could be argued we would be able to have won that battle without the need for a third player. Ashford and Adeloye were electric together so I can see why he wanted to pair them as out and out strikers. We just have too many players that aren’t technically good enough when they are under pressure, so we just don’t get up the park. Houston was shanking the ball all over the place, and I’m sure the first goal initially came from McKenzie just punting the ball up the park when he had time to play a pass out wide. 

12 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t know what to make of Bullen.  He’s clearly got bags of enthusiasm and there has been a clear improvement already in the recruitment of new players.  On the other hand, there’s a tactical naïveté about him that has verged on ineptitude at times.  Last night was extreme, but when you consider the dire performances against Queens and Morton as well as the early capitulation against St Mirren in the cup it didn’t come out of nowhere.  The wins over Kilmarnock and Inverness were built on the midfield 3 of Dempsey, Murdoch and McInroy, so I guess we should build around that.  Maybe Bullen just got carried away by the win against a Raith side that have been in full implosion mode for weeks.  

What was naïve about his set up last night ? Most fans would have been happy with the selection considering Dempsey didn’t train the week before and was still carrying a slight knock that’s why he didn’t start , last night was nothing to do with being naïve it was purely down to horrendous defending and individual errors 

Thinking about it this morning, as much as I wanted a return to the three in the middle, I can see why Bullen stuck with two up front. 
Murdoch and McInroy are every bit as good as McGinn and Alston at this level, and it could be argued we would be able to have won that battle without the need for a third player. Ashford and Adeloye were electric together so I can see why he wanted to pair them as out and out strikers. We just have too many players that aren’t technically good enough when they are under pressure, so we just don’t get up the park. Houston was shanking the ball all over the place, and I’m sure the first goal initially came from McKenzie just punting the ball up the park when he had time to play a pass out wide. 

Aye I’m sure I saw Bullen roasting McKenzie after the first goal for just aimlessly punting it long when there was an obvious pass to Adeloye that would’ve gotten us up the pitch.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I’m sure I saw Bullen roasting McKenzie after the first goal for just aimlessly punting it long when there was an obvious pass to Adeloye that would’ve gotten us up the pitch.

Aye, he decided to shell it when Tomi was looking for the ball into feet.

Someone earlier referenced it like 'Hopkin in a mask', it was a bit like that. We were rattled and reverted to type - hit it the way you are facing. Even under no pressure. So frustrating as you know the players are better than that.

Aye, he decided to shell it when Tomi was looking for the ball into feet.
Someone earlier referenced it like 'Hopkin in a mask', it was a bit like that. We were rattled and reverted to type - hit it the way you are facing. Even under no pressure. So frustrating as you know the players are better than that.

Yup

Under Hopkin the hoofing was very clearly the tactic and it was brutal. Last night I don’t believe for one minute that’s how we wanted to play but we started the game a bit nervy and when we started bleeding goals it got worse. We only settled down once we went to ten men.

15 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

What was naïve about his set up last night ? Most fans would have been happy with the selection considering Dempsey didn’t train the week before and was still carrying a slight knock that’s why he didn’t start , last night was nothing to do with being naïve it was purely down to horrendous defending and individual errors 

I agree. As I said earlier I missed the first 20 mins last night but I have just watched the highlights. Two simple goals from corners - carbon copies of each other, and then a complete half-wit getting a red card. It doesn't matter what formation or game plan you have, if you cannot defend corners you are going to lose.

6 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I agree. As I said earlier I missed the first 20 mins last night but I have just watched the highlights. Two simple goals from corners - carbon copies of each other, and then a complete half-wit getting a red card. It doesn't matter what formation or game plan you have, if you cannot defend corners you are going to lose.

Fjortoft seems a lovely guy, and I want him to do well but he is an unbelievable liability. I can’t believe he came on before Baird tbh. 

15 minutes ago, rgreig said:

Shades of Dunfermline away.  Conceded 2 simple first half corners in fairly quick succession that day too. Both from the same side as well.  

10 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

It's almost like following two different teams home and away and it's been like that for years, one thing showed last night that Dempsey should be the first name of the team sheet.

Absolutely. Also time to have a look at this guy Kenyan . Ex captain and defensive midfielder . Those two in with Tomi and McKenzie coming out . Not much we can do about the calamitous defence until the summer , but an experienced centre half/leader is a huge priority..

Totally agree with Finlay, I really felt for Bullen last night absolute clown defending from the usual suspects. Killie we’re well fired up and raced out the traps while we were looking at each other.

My worry is that we are handing out new contracts to players who are terrible who is sanctioning that Bullen? If so then I agree with other comments.

Houston will struggle when he goes to junior level which is where he should be

Mcginty,Baird,Fjortoft you could t make a centre half if you put them all together

Reading good going forward but cannot defend both him and Houston got torn apart with Killie wide men it was recognised a long time ago when he was in the Scotland set up and played in midfield.

My main worry is we are all watching this defending so to is Bullen and he can’t see what we all know we need a complete back four next year. 

30 minutes ago, North British said:

Absolutely. Also time to have a look at this guy Kenyan . Ex captain and defensive midfielder . Those two in with Tomi and McKenzie coming out . Not much we can do about the calamitous defence until the summer , but an experienced centre half/leader is a huge priority..

Who would play wide right?

And I have absolutely no idea why you would drop Tomi (unless injured)

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Who would play wide right?

And I have absolutely no idea why you would drop Tomi (unless injured)

Murdoch on the right . Dempsey Kenyan McInroy central , Maxwell left . Tomi on for 30 mins at the end to pinch it . This is for Arbroath only . After that perhaps a 442 .