The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Aye, the game was all but done, but there was definitely a real lack of game management from Killie. A couple of 5 minute spells in the second half were we had a bit of momentum but weren't able to make any actual clear cut chances. We weren't good enough and had a series of defensive f**k ups in the first half that cost us. If Dempsey was able to play then I'm not sure why we didn't go with the 3 in the middle. That was what gave us an edge in the previous derby. We surrendered the ball far too easily first half and then didn't help ourselves by getting all the basics wrong at the back.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We undoubtedly put them under pressure and they looked nervous tbf. They then just dug in which is a fucking riddy given you’re playing against 10 men had at they actually tried to stretch our midfield and defence could probably have scored another couple of goals.

Definite combination of us starting to come into the game after 3 calamities and Killie not managing the game particularly well.

The Killie defence handeld us easily, our goal coming right before half time may have lifted us somewhat but we still never had a shot on goal afterwards. You can also argue that subbing off Adeloye and playing long balls to Ashford played into their hands with their defence doing the basics well and seeing out the victory. 

The Killie defence handeld us easily, our goal coming right before half time may have lifted us somewhat but we still never had a shot on goal afterwards. You can also argue that subbing off Adeloye and playing long balls to Ashford played into their hands with their defence doing the basics well and seeing out the victory. 

Adeloye was kicking about with an ice pack on his foot so his race was probably run.

I’m not saying we created loads of chances but there were a few occasions where we were able to build some momentum and make it very uncomfortable for Killie. Ashford had a chance where he cut it back to no one where he probably would’ve been better just putting his foot through it despite the tight angle.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Adeloye was kicking about with an ice pack on his foot so his race was probably run.

I’m not saying we created loads of chances but there were a few occasions where we were able to build some momentum and make it very uncomfortable for Killie. Ashford had a chance where he cut it back to no one where he probably would’ve been better just putting his foot through it despite the tight angle.

Fair enough, I didn't actually know he was running with an ice pack which would explain matters. 

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve been on a good run which means I’m not overly worried. I still think we’ll get 8th at worst but talk of maybe catching 4th is way off. This is still a very flawed squad that has done incredibly well in recent weeks to turn it around from looking like we’d be finishing bottom. Good form over a month or two does not change the fact that we still need 3-4 players to come in this summer and be starters for us. As I said I’m not worried right now and tbh after that second half I’m probably not as annoyed as I should be but it’s a major reality check for us.

Pretty much how I see it too . Huge reality check for our defence . Dempsey is hugely important to us and gave good energy when he came on . Others tried to hide when the going got tough , we’ll win some games and lose some games before the summer , it is what it is ....

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Can’t remember leaving Somerset at half time before!  Didn’t see that coming to be fair - we’ve shown some improvement under Bullen, though our home record since he took over has been wretched, so maybe I should have.

part time supporter.

Ive witnessed some shite over the year but have NEVER left at half time EVER.

Poor show.

I can’t remember a first 20 minutes like that. Dempsey is going to be so important going forward, he played very well when he came on. 

ashford to play the the Mckenzie role going forward with adeloye up top. I didn’t realise Mckenzie was on the pitch till he was substituted 

3 minutes ago, Aliayr76 said:

Another big let down,but that's nothing new ever since the watching them since 86-87 season,nearly ever meaning full game thay have flunk it.

Mate I’ve been taking these gut punches since 72 ! It’s Ayr United that’s what it is . Never seen so many youths in the SRE as I did tonight , and we go and perform like that . However there is a bigger picture , we push on , forty points is all we need . Then it’s Bully’s summer shopping show .! just need to win some six pointers between now and then ...

Pumped Raith away...
Pumped Killie away...

Plastic pitch for next season please.

OR... We train on grass and improve our park. The only passes we strung together led to our goal. Depressing night as an Ayr fan, and already dreading work on Monday.

2 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

and improve our park.

This. It looks great cosmetically but it’s bobbly as f**k and causes some amount of errors at the back and when trying to shoot.

Tonight was the lowest of the low. Folk can take positives from the second half but it was about as demoralising and humiliating as they come. Watching them stroll around Somerset seeing the game out with paper roses and the billy boys in full swing. Only regret is not leaving earlier.

I was caught up in the hype from Saturday and was all for the same setup but now I realise why I am not a football manager. 4-3-3 was the way to go tonight.

Can’t help but fear that this back 4 will be back for another season unchanged and therefore we will be struggling mid table dross yet again due to the fact we gave Jordan Houston another contract and the mcginty clause thing. Also Muirhead will return and paddy reading seems to give a lot of fans a hard-on for no apparent reason.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

We undoubtedly put them under pressure and they looked nervous tbf. They then just dug in which is a fucking riddy given you’re playing against 10 men had at they actually tried to stretch our midfield and defence could probably have scored another couple of goals.

Definite combination of us starting to come into the game after 3 calamities and Killie not managing the game particularly well.

You on drugs, wee man?

This. It looks great cosmetically but it’s bobbly as f**k and causes some amount of errors at the back and when trying to shoot.
Tonight was the lowest of the low. Folk can take positives from the second half but it was about as demoralising and humiliating as they come. Watching them stroll around Somerset seeing the game out with paper roses and the billy boys in full swing. Only regret is not leaving earlier.
I was caught up in the hype from Saturday and was all for the same setup but now I realise why I am not a football manager. 4-3-3 was the way to go tonight.
Can’t help but fear that this back 4 will be back for another season unchanged and therefore we will be struggling mid table dross yet again due to the fact we gave Jordan Houston another contract and the mcginty clause thing. Also Muirhead will return and paddy reading seems to give a lot of fans a hard-on for no apparent reason.

The billy boys in full swing???

Geez peace mate, nobody was singing that.

From kick-off, Ayr looked completely lost in the occasion, no one put their foot on the ball, we just lumped it forward, played it out the park or just gave it away. Midfield was completely overran and changes had to be made. Normally to make changes after a second goal goes in is standard, however, when the third goes in after 17 minutes its understandable changes weren't made before then. Maxwell hadn't touched the ball when he came off, McKenzie was slightly better. 

For a period, I thought Fjortoft was possibly the dopiest player we have had since Allan Gillespie and David Smythe. A clumsy big fanny that keeps making stupid challenges,  however, he probably saved us going 4-0 down by getting sent off. 

If we hadn't scored I'd have left at half time, we didn't look like scoring, we looked like we'd concede another 3-4 easy. 

Once we scored, the game changed, Kilmarnock were dreadful at the back and we started to take control of the game, We were still horrifically disjointed going forward but were playing on the front foot. 

Both Kilmarnock fullbacks were very bad but we had taken off any wide threat by the point we were attacking and our main threat was from McGinty and Muirhead pushing up the park and playing balls in to the box, we were almost playing a back two of Reading and Baird at points. 

442 was a failure, in hindsight, dropping Maxwell or McKenzie for Dempsey and playing 4312 might have been better. Playing the two up front should have been the case but it should have came with sacrificing a forward player rather than a midfielder.