The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

It was you who quoted more than two as potentially starting the game. 

Who are the several players incapable of attacking? Genuinely interested

I'm not saying for a minute that individually or collectively  yesterday was acceptable but it's a long way off being described as horrific. 

Short memories on here. 

No I didn’t, I just gave some examples of what would have been some positive possible changes. 

McKenzie, Houston and I’m not sure Maxwell is either in games like that. None have any idea what to do if they don’t have wide open spaces to run into. It also appears that Ashford isn’t suited to what is being asked of him. 

I’m not entirely sure the short memories claim is accurate, this has been a theme of most of our home games with teams around us. It’s blatantly obvious we need to set up more positively and with players more capable of working in tighter spaces. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't think it was defensive, just not very effective. Especially for a home game where we should've been looking to get on the front foot from the first whistle to get the three points. 

Looking at it you can see Bullen's looking to get McKenzie, Maxwell, Dempsey and McInroy in, around and playing off Ashford. With the two full backs looking to link up from wide areas. 

All good on the counter attack away from home, not so at home against a stubborn defence setup to frustrate and largely sit in. 

We didnt get in behind Queens yesterday due to a combination of our deficiencies, pitch and weather conditions and the opposition. 

Not very effective. 

They play McKenzie and Maxwell as wide midfielders rather than wingers, Houston and Reading play as full backs rather than wing backs where they don't try and overlap the wingers. so you are left with hoping that you catch teams on the break. 

You have guys like Gondoh and O'Conner on the bench that are wingers but won't protect the full backs as much. Raith play with wingers and it makes sense to play Maxwell and O'Conner. Dunfermline offered very little down the wings but we played the same way. 

Bullen says it is very much horses for courses but he has pretty much had the same horses playing regardless of the course. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

They play McKenzie and Maxwell as wide midfielders rather than wingers, Houston and Reading play as full backs rather than wing backs where they don't try and overlap the wingers. so you are left with hoping that you catch teams on the break. 

You have guys like Gondoh and O'Conner on the bench that are wingers but won't protect the full backs as much. Raith play with wingers and it makes sense to play Maxwell and O'Conner. Dunfermline offered very little down the wings but we played the same way. 

Bullen says it is very much horses for courses but he has pretty much had the same horses playing regardless of the course. 

The question for me is what did Bullen mean in his post-match interview where he said it was a "wake-up call". Assuming that wasn't just a meaningless platitude, did he mean that it is a wake-up call for him and he's going to rethink the formation or was it more about individual players and their contribution?

I just don’t know how, when or why we convinced ourselves that Muirhead can play at the base of the midfield.  He is what he is.  An honest hardworking championship standard centre back.  He has no ability on the ball, no composure and no real clue how to recycle and retain possession.

It’s difficult to underline just how much we undermined ourselves setting up the way we did yesterday.  The excuse has been that we didn’t have anyone else to play there, which was never really true when you see how effective Murdoch is in that role. But with the addition of Dempsey and McInroy, there was just no need or excuse for that yesterday.  Bullen is basically a rookie manager, so I guess he’s on a learning curve, but I would really like to see a bit more thought and flexibility in his tactics.  Plan A went out the window after 30 minutes yesterday and it took over an hour to see any reaction from the touch line.

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Onto the players. Several gutless performances. Queens looked more up for it and wanted it more which is unforgiveable given the importance of the game.

Really annoys me that QoS players were able to celebrate in front of the North Terracing giving it the right "get it up ye" to the Ayr fans, and Cameron and Fitzpatrick both managed to get it up us with wee smiles and '1-0' and 'going down' signals etc...and...nothing.  how much do we miss a Jamie Adams to then go and hammer one of them.  

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Really annoys me that QoS players were able to celebrate in front of the North Terracing giving it the right "get it up ye" to the Ayr fans, and Cameron and Fitzpatrick both managed to get it up us with wee smiles and '1-0' and 'going down' signals etc...and...nothing.  how much do we miss a Jamie Adams to then go and hammer one of them.  

That should be Aero's job.

16 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

That should be Aero's job.

Absolutely. Not in the same league though sadly.  I'm hardly a dinosaur but QoS had it far too easy.  Player manager Gibson at 37 or whatever was allowed to stroll the game and waste time whenever he wanted - didn't once get faced up to and ran at football wise, or hit with a wee late solid challenge.  That's embarrassing 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Absolutely. Not in the same league though sadly.  I'm hardly a dinosaur but QoS had it far too easy.  Player manager Gibson at 37 or whatever was allowed to stroll the game and waste time whenever he wanted - didn't once get faced up to and ran at football wise, or hit with a wee late solid challenge.  That's embarrassing 

Agreed we need a player in the mould of big Adams to just smash into a few people.   

18 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

Agreed we need a player in the mould of big Adams to just smash into a few people.   

Andy Geggan at right midfield yesterday and Gibson wouldn't have been the best player on the park as he unfortunately was. 

Andy Geggan at right midfield yesterday and Gibson wouldn't have been the best player on the park as he unfortunately was. 

Aye. Gibson has been one of the best full backs in the division the past couple of years but I'm sure Andy Geggan would have had Gibson shitting his breeks [emoji38]

Aye. Gibson has been one of the best full backs in the division the past couple of years but I'm sure Andy Geggan would have had Gibson shitting his breeks [emoji38]

Andy Geggan was hugely effective in that role tbf. The year we had him playing right midfield, I don’t think any left wingers or left backs got the better of him. Gibson being a good full back in this league says a whole lot more about the quality of this league these days than it does about him.

11 hours ago, Hursty said:

Aye, fine - but the fact remains that Geggan wasn't playing yesterday.  Equally, a peak form Stephen Dobbie up front for Queens and Gibson wouldn't have been the best player on the park yesterday.  We could both carry this on ad infinitum ... doesn't change the fact that Gibson was indeed the best on the park yesterday.

For all the Killie related bile that Ayr fans direct at him, it can't be argued that Gibson is a quality player in a league not exactly spilling over with quality players.

Aye, fine - but the fact remains that Geggan wasn't playing yesterday.  Equally, a peak form Stephen Dobbie up front for Queens and Gibson wouldn't have been the best player on the park yesterday.  We could both carry this on ad infinitum ... doesn't change the fact that Gibson was indeed the best on the park yesterday.
For all the Killie related bile that Ayr fans direct at him, it can't be argued that Gibson is a quality player in a league not exactly spilling over with quality players.

I don’t think anyone is trying to rewrite and say “aye but if we had so and so we’d have won”. More a case of Ayr fans bemoaning the fact of how far we’ve fallen in recent seasons. And can I just say that if we’ve gotten to the point where we’re talking about missing Andy Geggan then it shows we’ve fallen pretty hard.

We have absolutely zero players in this squad capable of being a proper shithouse or go toe to toe with experienced players like Gibson in those type of battles. Adams and Geggan may have been fairly limited technically but Adams was still a good no nonsense centre half who we relied upon a few times and Geggan was capable of nullifying most players he went up against.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think anyone is trying to rewrite and say “aye but if we had so and so we’d have won”. More a case of Ayr fans bemoaning the fact of how far we’ve fallen in recent seasons. And can I just say that if we’ve gotten to the point where we’re talking about missing Andy Geggan then it shows we’ve fallen pretty hard.

We have absolutely zero players in this squad capable of being a proper shithouse or go toe to toe with experienced players like Gibson in those type of battles. Adams and Geggan may have been fairly limited technically but Adams was still a good no nonsense centre half who we relied upon a few times and Geggan was capable of nullifying most players he went up against.

Fair point, think I maybe read the OP the wrong way.  Queens fans loved Adams work rate and tenacity when he was with us too, real shame the guy's career was limited by injuries.

14 hours ago, Hursty said:

We badly need a leader on the park in the mould of Adams/Geggan but it ain’t going to happen until the summer by the looks of it . In the short term if we are to go to 442 (doubtful) in order to get Tomi starting beside Ashford , I’d stick Murdoch on the right side of midfield and get McKenzie onto the bench as striker cover . Murdoch maybe has the tenacity to keep Zanatta at bay for the most part .