The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I agree with most of the stuff that we were hopeless and the tactics / lineup were wrong too negative.

However, I said to the guys yesterday that this would undoubtedly happen on social media where everything would get done to death and the good team from the last 2 weeks would suddenly be a bad team full of issues in some peoples minds.

Basically yesterday was an "off day", nothing went for us, we lost Murdoch just before the game (stomach upset / virus i heard), Bullen certainly DID appear to make an error in putting in Baird instead of Gondoh or O'Connor but ultimately these things happen and I'm sure he'll learn.

Queens weren't really any better than us, the conditions were dreadful, the pitch was bobbly and as I say things just didn't go for us, but that's Football.

We'll win 50/50 games and we'll lose 50/50 games, we'll have a few great wins and we'll no doubt be on the end of a few scuddings but that's life as an Ayr fan and what's really "expected" otherwise we'd be up in the Premier challenging Rangers and Celtic for the league.

Bottom line, bad day at the office, improvement needed for Raith......

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We'll win 50/50 games and we'll lose 50/50 games, we'll have a few great wins and we'll no doubt be on the end of a few scuddings but that's life as an Ayr fan and what's really "expected" otherwise we'd be up in the Premier challenging Rangers and Celtic for the league.

You can't seriously be likening Ayr fans expecting to get a result against Queen of the South at home, when they are bottom of the league, with Old Firm glory hunting. Can you? That's nonsense on stilts.

40 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I agree with most of the stuff that we were hopeless and the tactics / lineup were wrong too negative.

However, I said to the guys yesterday that this would undoubtedly happen on social media where everything would get done to death and the good team from the last 2 weeks would suddenly be a bad team full of issues in some peoples minds.

Basically yesterday was an "off day", nothing went for us, we lost Murdoch just before the game (stomach upset / virus i heard), Bullen certainly DID appear to make an error in putting in Baird instead of Gondoh or O'Connor but ultimately these things happen and I'm sure he'll learn.

Queens weren't really any better than us, the conditions were dreadful, the pitch was bobbly and as I say things just didn't go for us, but that's Football.

Bottom line, bad day at the office, improvement needed for Raith......

This is very kind on Bullen. He should have learned that by now. McKenzie and Maxwell are awful in these games time after time. Combined with Houston offering absolutely nothing going forward  and Ashford not really offering much of a threat it was entirely predictable. I knew at the start of the game that we would be heavily relying on McInroy and Dempsey to provide something by themselves, how didn’t Bullen! There is a place for players who’s primary ability is work rate, but it isn’t in every single game. 

That starting 11 and current tactics are all about work rate which leaves us little creativity out wide so everything goes through the middle. Most concerning thing yesterday was we were second to every ball and out fought.

After 27 games we've yet to beat anyone twice so they'll need to achieve it at least a couple of times over the final 9 games.

OK bad (horrific) day yesterday. But we need to look forward. Three games ago most on here would have said we would be lucky to get 3 points. We got 6. 9 would have been nice but let's not get overly worked up. It seems Bullen can play away from Somerset, Bullen needs to find a better set up at home.

On the upside, looking to next week:

Raith are rancid at the minute. They haven't won in their last 10 league games.  The surface is conducive to playing football. Murdoch will be back.

I'd start Tomi up top, Ashford on the right, Rowe at right back. Mckenzie and Houston benched. Maxwell is marginal over whether he starts or not. He was very frustrating yesterday but I prefer him in the team. Obviously, Aero at the back and Baird benched.

We need 11 points to get to 40 which should be safety. That has to be the aim. Let's amass them as quickly as possible.

Edit - Rowe not Comrie

Edited by Trogdor

I am concerned that Bullen thought that that was a reality check yesterday. If you look at the form and results all season, the last two seasons even, The fans know the reality and yesterdays result is no surprise. 

Playing defensively and not creating anything, then conceding a cheap goal is the hallmark of this team. We have played that way and it has worked periodically, We need to change it up more. We have signed guys on loan, guys on two year deals, guys who look promising but are frozen out because of the style of play. We have the ability to bring in loan players but have a bench full of guys who aren't getting a game. 

McKenzie and Maxwell offer very little goal threat, Ashford hasn't looked like scoring for a while, he has almost became Cammy Salkeld, a lot of running without doing much. It is more down to the style of play than his ability. 

I don't see O'Conner or Adeloye staying beyond the end of the season. The boy from Coventry will be regretting coming up. 

I can see why Bullen is picking this team but its far to negative in some games and we are to slow to take the hand break off, inviting other teams to come at us. 

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

On the upside, looking to next week:

Raith are rancid at the minute. They haven't won in their last 10 league games.  The surface is conducive to playing football. Murdoch will be back.

I'd start Tomi up top, Ashford on the right, Comrie at right back. Mckenzie and Houston benched. Maxwell is marginal over whether he starts or not. He was very frustrating yesterday but I prefer him in the team. Obviously, Aero at the back and Baird benched.

We need 11 points to get to 40 which should be safety. That has to be the aim. Let's amass them as quickly as possible.

Other than wondering who the f**k Comrie is, fully agreed. I’ll be surprised if Bullen does it though. That Tomi still took up his place on the bench yesterday was pretty disgraceful. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Other than wondering who the f**k Comrie is, fully agreed. I’ll be surprised if Bullen does it though. That Tomi still took up his place on the bench yesterday was pretty disgraceful. 

I meant Rowe, I have no idea why I called him Comrie. I'd like to blame predictive text but it wasn't.

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

I'm totally with you where Tomi is concerned. It's getting beyond a joke.

Edited by Trogdor

Yeah, I was disappointed with yesterday aswell. We never looked like scoring at all and some of the players showed their true colours I thought. 

Other than the Hamilton game, Ashford looks like a waste of time, I honestly cant see what he brings to the team. 

I like Mckenzie's workrate but he is a very limited footballer and fluffs plenty of chances infront of goal. He doesn't seem to have the talent for me. 

O'connor was bad I thought yesterday too. I can see why he hasn't played much this season, no excuse for a professional footballer to take a corner only for it to go out for a goal kick. 

At the end of January i did feel as if we we're a CM short incase anything happened to one of Murdoch/McInroy/Dempsey and that proved yesterday because having to rely on Muirhead being back in there just turns us back to the old absolute shite habits. 

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I meant Rowe, I have no idea why I called him Comrie. I'd like to blame predictive text but it wasn't.

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

I'm totally with you where Tomi is concerned. It's getting beyond a joke.

Watching the highlights - the little bit of play where Tomi set up Ashford was as lovely a bit of play as I thought at the time. When he gets a defender isolated they really struggle to deal with him. 

The QOS goal largely down to Maxwell, soft as f**k twice in the build up - and then half heartedly closing the ball down at the shot. 

As everyone has said it was a pretty bad day at the office , there has been plenty of these over the years and no doubt there will be plenty in the future also . The question is will Bully change it up to a 442 with Tomi coming in . I think he pretty much has to .

However the crux of the matter is simple , will this group at Ayr United win more football matches than Queen of the South in the next two months or so . I tend to think they will , time will tell 

Watching the highlights just there and we did have a couple of chances we really should be scoring, Maxwell should have been lobbing that over the goalie and Ashford has to put that header either side of the goalie from 6 yards out.

That being said Queens seem to miss their share of sitters too

51 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Playing defensively

I don't think it was defensive, just not very effective. Especially for a home game where we should've been looking to get on the front foot from the first whistle to get the three points. 

Looking at it you can see Bullen's looking to get McKenzie, Maxwell, Dempsey and McInroy in, around and playing off Ashford. With the two full backs looking to link up from wide areas. 

All good on the counter attack away from home, not so at home against a stubborn defence setup to frustrate and largely sit in. 

We didnt get in behind Queens yesterday due to a combination of our deficiencies, pitch and weather conditions and the opposition. 

Not very effective. 

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't think it was defensive, just not very effective. Especially for a home game where we should've been looking to get on the front foot from the first whistle to get the three points. 

Looking at it you can see Bullen's looking to get McKenzie, Maxwell, Dempsey and McInroy in, around and playing off Ashford. With the two full backs looking to link up from wide areas. 

All good on the counter attack away from home, not so at home against a stubborn defence setup to frustrate and largely sit in. 

We didnt get in behind Queens yesterday due to a combination of our deficiencies, pitch and weather conditions and the opposition. 

Not very effective. 

How many times have we actually seen those players linking up with Ashford? I don’t think Ashford seems the type of player we can play off of at all. His best bits of play yesterday seemed to come when he dropped deeper. 

I still think it was a defensive lineup though. An incredibly defensive right hand side, which hilariously was still ripped apart by Gibson. Even if Bullen absolutely had to keep Muirhead in midfield he had other options to make the side more attacking (Ashford out right with Tomi starting, Rowe starting, Gondoh starting) In every position he choose the most negative and defensive option possible. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

How many times have we actually seen those players linking up with Ashford? I don’t think Ashford seems the type of player we can play off of at all. His best bits of play yesterday seemed to come when he dropped deeper. 

I still think it was a defensive lineup though. An incredibly defensive right hand side, which hilariously was still ripped apart by Gibson. Even if Bullen absolutely had to keep Muirhead in midfield he had other options to make the side more attacking (Ashford out right with Tomi starting, Rowe starting, Gondoh starting) In every position he choose the most negative and defensive option possible. 

That's your opinion fair enough. The stats throughout the game show we weren't defensive just ineffective. 

Throwing O'Connor, Gondoh, Rowe and Tomi would've seen us overrun more than we actually were. Especially in wide areas. 

There's got to be the right balance which the management team have to find, that's their job. 

Gibson is rightly seen as the panto villain but he's still a very effective player at this level and a threat both defensively and going forward. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That's your opinion fair enough. The stats throughout the game show we weren't defensive just ineffective. 

Throwing O'Connor, Gondoh, Rowe and Tomi would've seen us overrun more than we actually were. Especially in wide areas. 

There's got to be the right balance which the management team have to find, that's their job. 

Gibson is rightly seen as the panto villain but he's still a very effective player at this level and a threat both defensively and going forward. 

You genuinely think we would have been overrun against the side bottom of the league, by actually attempting to play some players capable of attacking? There is also a huge difference between all four playing and one or two. Rowe and Tomi starting would not have remotely hindered us defensively. Ashford could play the hard working role McKenzie does, ideally with an iota of quality too. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be worse than Houston defensively yesterday - he was horrific. 

We were ineffective because we played several players in attacking positions who are incapable of attacking and have absolutely no technical or creative ability in the final third. 

Which stats? Far less possession and two shots on target all game... I imagine even those would be padded out by some attempts in the last five minutes.

35 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You genuinely think we would have been overrun against the side bottom of the league, by actually attempting to play some players capable of attacking? There is also a huge difference between all four playing and one or two. Rowe and Tomi starting would not have remotely hindered us defensively. Ashford could play the hard working role McKenzie does, ideally with an iota of quality too. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be worse than Houston defensively yesterday - he was horrific. 

We were ineffective because we played several players in attacking positions who are incapable of attacking and have absolutely no technical or creative ability in the final third. 

Which stats? Far less possession and two shots on target all game... I imagine even those would be padded out by some attempts in the last five minutes.

It was you who quoted more than two as potentially starting the game. 

Who are the several players incapable of attacking? Genuinely interested

I'm not saying for a minute that individually or collectively  yesterday was acceptable but it's a long way off being described as horrific. 

Short memories on here. 

Edited by BukyOHare