The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, itzdrk said:

He's played in the team in its best form of the season, idiots like Baird or Fjørtoft shouldn't get a pass to play and weaken the no good defence just so someone's contract isn't extended. 

The form argument is a specious one. 3 games don't make up for 12 rancid ones.

Also, Baird is a better defender than McGinty.

The wrestler, I'm not so sure. 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

He's played in the team in its best form of the season, idiots like Baird or Fjørtoft shouldn't get a pass to play and weaken the no good defence just so someone's contract isn't extended. 

Overall, Baird has been better than McGinty this season. Before this wee run, McGinty was the very obvious choice to drop out of the defence but he has obviously found some form, which we can only hope continues. Said it earlier but I’m not bothered about him staying as a backup, but we obviously need better if we are actually aiming for top four next season.

Edited by No_Problemo

Just now, Trogdor said:

The form argument is a specious one. 3 games don't make up for 12 rancid ones.

Also, Baird is a better defender than McGinty.

The wrestler, I'm not so sure. 

We have lost one game in 5, that's good form for a relegation scrap.  

Baird is nonsense, up there in the top 5 worst players post McCall. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Right now Bullen thinks McGinty is a better option than Baird so he has to play him. He can’t pick his team based on contract clauses for next season.

I'd question his judgement in that case. I'm no defender of Baird but he is a better defender than McGinty.

Also, the second part is demonstrably false. ICT wouldn't play Fon Williams as he had a hefty appearance fee. Clubs don't play certain players because of contract clauses all the time. Its part of football.

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We have lost one game in 5, that's good form for a relegation scrap.  

Baird is nonsense, up there in the top 5 worst players post McCall. 

That's just untrue... Wright, Gillespie, Chalmers, Salkeld, Afolabi, Anderson... I can go on.

I'd question his judgement in that case. I'm no defender of Baird but he is a better defender than McGinty.
Also, the second part is demonstrably false. ICT wouldn't play Fon Williams as he had a hefty appearance fee. Clubs don't play certain players because of contract clauses all the time. Its part of football.

ICT playing Fon Williams had nothing to do with next season though. Right now, Muirhead and McGinty are in good form and will likely be our best chance of staying up. All that matters right now is staying up and Bullen isn’t going to make that harder by playing (in his mind) an inferior defender.

It’s worth saying that McGinty isn’t guaranteed a starting spot next season. Of the players we have under contract McAdams and Houston are maybe the only ones that are guaranteed to start next season. A lot will depend on who we sign and how other players finish the season.

Can't be benching him next season if we bring someone else in, 800 quid to sit on the bench is a nonsense. Although muddied a bit in the short term with relegation a possibility.

Question remains if his recent decent form is down to a competent midfield or to get that extension...

The fact he's triggered it now just sets off alarm bells for me personally..

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The fact he's triggered it now just sets off alarm bells for me personally..

And me... this "he's in good form" argument is the equivalent of "we've signed three parts of the third best defense in the league from last season" which was trotted out at the beginning of the season.

Either way it's polishing a rather large turd.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Baird has at least played consistently. All of those players played sporadically for us.

Zanatta, Miller, Roscoe, Fjortoft, McGinty

I'm pretty sure I've now named a whole team of players worse than Baird out of those since McCall left. He's hardly in the worse 5.

I'm not holding up Baird as some sort of great defender. In all honestly, I think he is moderately less shit than McGinty. He was horrendous last season but still not as bad as McGinty has been this season.

Zanatta, Miller, Roscoe, Fjortoft, McGinty
I'm pretty sure I've now named a whole team of players worse than Baird out of those since McCall left. He's hardly in the worse 5.
I'm not holding up Baird as some sort of great defender. In all honestly, I think he is moderately less shit than McGinty. He was horrendous last season but still not as bad as McGinty has been this season.

Miller was decent.

Overall, Baird has been better than McGinty this season. Before this wee run, McGinty was the very obvious choice to drop out of the defence but he has obviously found some form, which we can only hope continues. Said it earlier but I’m not bothered about him staying as a backup, but we obviously need better if we are actually aiming for top four next season.
But last season we were slaging the partnership of Baird and Muirhead , Muirhead and McGinty have probably been the best pairing so far this season.

Wasn't at the Q&A last night which is disappointing.

Would be decent for the next one if Mathie was there too, or even if there's a separate event with Smith & Mathie to outline future plans, i'd be surprised to fair if that event isn't in the pipeline tbh

I’m not exactly enthused about it but it’s harsh to blame Bullen on it.

His focus will be on putting out the team that he thinks will see us not relegated. You might disagree on that part but contract clauses won’t factor into it.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Wasn't at the Q&A last night which is disappointing.

Would be decent for the next one if Mathie was there too, or even if there's a separate event with Smith & Mathie to outline future plans, i'd be surprised to fair if that event isn't in the pipeline tbh

I think Mathie more or less said there would be other events like Thursday's Q&A, in his update with B&W TV. I think its a fair bet Mathie will do one. He was also talking about giving updates every couple of months.

15 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

But last season we were slaging the partnership of Baird and Muirhead , Muirhead and McGinty have probably been the best pairing so far this season.

It is a very small sample size and there are other factors at play too, but they are. I wouldn’t change the starting centre halves at the moment. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I would be pretty concerned if the target next season wasn’t the championship promotion play off positions tbh. 

It did seem a little unambitious that if we avoid relegation this season then for Bullen next season was about consolidating considering it would be our 5th consecutive season in the league. However he did mention Arbroath and if they could do it then why couldn't we, so maybe in public he's just trying not to set himself up to fail.