The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 03/02/2022 at 12:29, 1nickydevlin said:

sad to hear the passing of Alex ingram .Long before my time but a legend for ayr united. Rip

Alex (Dixie) Ingram was the 4th highest scorer for Ayr United in their history with 117 goals many in the top flight of Scottish football. A good proportion of his goals were headers from corners. He would start his run from well outside the penalty box and meet the ball at pace with his head. This tactic could have been a factor in him developing dementia at the age of 67. In 1970 he was transferred to Nottingham Forest for a fee of £40,000 which paid for Ayr's first ever set of floodlights. Dixie returned to Ayr later that year for a bargain £15,000 and scored from 35 yards on his first game back. I recall watching him in an Ayrshire Cup final at Rugby Park which Ayr won 3-0, with Dixie scoring a first half hat trick. He was selected for the Scottish League while playing for Ayr United being selected ahead of both the Celtic and Rangers centre forwards at the time. Dixie will be remembered and sadly missed.

Edited by Toepoker

1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

Hence the reason why you’re shite and have a pathetic support that shows no great interest in a team that if supported properly could do so much better.

You’re directing your bizarre anger at Ayr not being supported well enough at people who are already supporters.

Full of brains you are.

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just like their big team, they will realise when it’s to late that when debts get so big, the “wealthy owners” will drop the club like a hot brick. 
overspending and trying to maintain an oversized shitehole stadium that was falling to bits months after it was built. Overpaying a manager and back room team, spending a fortune on an average Championship team.

The owner has a big truck to amuse the locals though.

image.gif.faceba1870fc6ca4c8247262caca7261.gif

What a small minded insignificant little man you really are. Envy is a bad thing for you but look on the bright side when you are in League 1 next season you will have found your level.

19 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Dixie Ingram played well before my time but my dad remembers his Ayr career, speaks of him fondly and always used to tell me facts about his goals when I started going to games. RIP Dixie.

A member of one of the most illustrious Ayr United teams. A real centre forward who was ferociously competitive, a great goalscorer and a fans' favourite. The best header of a ball you're ever likely to see. His name was sung loudly in the Somerset Road End and before that in the Railway End, which was previously the 'home' end. Billy McNeill, Captain of the Celtic's Lisbon Lions, named him as his most difficult opponent, which was testament to his ability and competitiveness. He scored with a great header in the opening minute of the 1973 Scottish Cup semi-final, only to be scuppered by the officials wrongly ruling it offside. Rangers went on to win the match 2-0 on an unplayable waterlogged pitch which suited the big bruisers of Ibrox against an Ayr team that was a terrific, attacking, football playing side. 

The song that rang out from the terraces was sung to the tune of 'McNamara's Band';

🎼 His name is 'Dixie' Ingram

He's the leader of the band

People come from miles around

To see this famous man

He's here, he's there, he's everywhere

He scores the vital goals

He's the greatest centre forward 

That the world has ever known

Give us a goal

Oh 'Dixie' Ingram

Give us a goal, Give us a goal, give us a goal

Give us a goal, oh 'Dixie' Ingram

He's the greatest centre forward ever known  🎼

Maybe the Somerset Road End choir could give us a rendition of the song at the Dunfermline game on Saturday. That would be a magnificent tribute to a true Ayr United legend. 

In 2014 he was still attending matches at Somerset, as well as travelling on the team bus to all the away games, despite his ill-health. For all the Ayr United fans of a certain generation he is right up there. He gave us so much pleasure and pride. Rest in peace, Mr Ingram.  

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Happy to reply to this post, as it isn’t those other two idiots embarrassing themselves. 

We know our tickets aren’t going to sell out, so I imagine that’s part of the reason. Our group haven’t even discussed purchasing them yet. Also the fact that we are utter shite doesn’t help. An improved result on Saturday and I imagine there will be a late surge. 

I can understand not going because you are shite, “your words” , but given that it’s been a few years since you’ve been  able to watch a derby on your closest opponents ground, the possibility exists it will be your last chance for the forseeable future. Not trying to point score, but given current league placings and current form, we may not be in the same league next year, for one reason or another. If it was me, I’d want get along, cheer my team and enjoy the atmosphere.

Come on up, we’ll make you very welcome.

gutted to hear about Alex Ingram as I had a lot of respect for him as a player and I clearly remember the fuss he caused when he apparently tried to buy Killie. Sad news.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

What a small minded insignificant little man you really are. Envy is a bad thing for you but look on the bright side when you are in League 1 next season you will have found your level.

“Insignificant” “envy” “small minded”. Lol.

You do realise that every single time that something starts between Ayr and Killie fans on here it’s you lot that have started it by having the thick, virgin losers come over here and spout nonsense. I think I speak for the vast majority on here who really do not care in the slightest about what’s happening at Kilmarnock football club. The only time I give any thought to you lot is when we’re about to play you. That’s is. Besides that we do not care.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

“Insignificant” “envy” “small minded”. Lol.

You do realise that every single time that something starts between Ayr and Killie fans on here it’s you lot that have started it by having the thick, virgin losers come over here and spout nonsense. I think I speak for the vast majority on here who really do not care in the slightest about what’s happening at Kilmarnock football club. The only time I give any thought to you lot is when we’re about to play you. That’s is. Besides that we do not care.

Probably because you are up the road at Castle Greyskull to see your big team. 

Very sad news about Dixie Ingram.  I was at the the semi final game against Rangers when his goal was ruled as being offside.  I don't think any Ayr fans there that night thought that decision was right.  One of my favourite players in what was one of our best ever teams.

52 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

Awfy angry, team must've got beat last night.