The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, United1973 said:

How many players you think we will sign before deadline ? 

Hopefully at least two, with one who has either done it at this level or a higher level and will bring some much needed experience to what is a young team. We're in a scrap and we need a hard man/battler to break up play and allow the other players to express themselves a bit imo. This would also mean we stop playing Aero in midfield. 

8 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Whats Pep Guardiola got to do with anything? We're primarily asking a full time centre forward to do his job. I used the comparison of Joel Nouble earlier. A guy who embraced his time in this league and has boosted his standing and reputation as a result. Why can't Tomi look to do similar more consistently? 

I'd love to know how many times Adeloye actually touched the ball today, let alone had efforts on goal. We may not be getting people round him soon enough, but how many times did he have the ball under control to bring others into play? 

There may be bigger issues in the team but in our situation every player has to look in the mirror and ask could I be doing more? 

Of course he could be a victim of the teams tactics but he's got to do more to start before Ashford who played like he really wanted to be here when he came on. 

12 teams in 8 seasons by my counting for Tomi. Me, me, me. 

Because it feels like you’ve an expectation of a total-football style striker. With his record I think he’s done his job pretty well until now so to say he hasn’t embraced the league is incredibly harsh. Maybe he just isn’t as good as or the sam type of player as Nouble?

No denying he was pish today but we know he scores when he gets some decent support. Giving it this chat after a couple of bad games is over the top.

5 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Crazy talk.

Cant recall having disliked an Ayr player more than Zanatta.

There’s been plenty worse than Zanatta.  Gary Harkins comes to mind immediately.  I also remember Nigel Jemson bust a gut on a short term contract then down tools as soon as we gave him a long term contract.  I would never defend Zanatta, but in truth he barely got a chance in his favoured wide position.  By the time we gave up on Walsh and looked to Zanatta as a solution, he’d already checked out on us.

I hate it when managers hit out with "we look really good in training", or, "we've trained really well this week". On yesterdays showing for most of the game, it looked liked they had never met each other before! Players stretching for basic passes or the simple ball not being played.

Yesterday reminded me a bit of Raith away under Duffy. Absolutely horrendous 1st half, then a much better 2nd half when we actually had a go.

I think Ashford looks very good. He's the polar opposite of Adeloye. He chased down every ball, he's quick, and he actually had a pop at goal which he obviously scored. I just wish he had scored with that one on one instead of trying to put it on to his right foot.

We cannot have anymore of those first half displays, it will keep fans away and ultimately relegate us. Play 4-4-2, and whilst we might concede, we will also score. Go with the McCall mentality of we'll score more than you. Absolutely need to have a go at Partick or they'll pump us again.

9 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

4600 Killie fans today. Four times the support of a team from a town of the same size. That’s not counting Prestwick. Then you expect your club to sign decent players? Mind boggling.

You will settle down after a few seasons at this level. However I do congratulate you for managing to fill about a quarter of your seats. In the meantime thank you for your interest in Ayr United Football Club. 

I find it extraordinary that there are those who defend or are reluctant to critcise McGinty, who has been atrocious other than 2 games all season. However, happily criticise Adeloye who has been crap as of late but is literally our only goal scorer and has probably contributed positively more than any other player this season.

I'm hoping with Ashford now being around and presumably starting games with Tomi on the bench (assuming we stick with one up top) it will result in Tomi upping his game. He can still deliver but he needs support and shelling him with long balls is just tiresome and painful to watch. We still revert to a long ball far too frequently. 

I am really worried more generally. The team is just like when Duffy was gaffer. We setup too negatively and inevitably concede, then we change it late in the second half to scramble a draw. We need to setup more positively with two fucking strikers. God knows how we'll setup against Partick if it's going to be more negative. No strikers?

McGinty inevitably blotted his copybook yesterday with the clumsy challenge for the penalty, but otherwise played well.  He does actually try and looks like he cares, none of which compensates for his lack of ability which will ultimately have to be addressed.  Adeloye annoys folk because he does appear to have some ability, but his attitude of late has been stinking.  Other than the televised match against Accies, he’s barely kicked a ball since last September.  The only one who can change that is him, assuming he really wants to.  

I’d rather see us go 2 up front with the new guy and probably McKenzie - at least he’ll move and give the opposition something to think about.  I certainly haven’t written Moffat off either, but I accept I seem to be in the minority on that one.

18 minutes ago, HMIP said:

McGinty inevitably blotted his copybook yesterday with the clumsy challenge for the penalty, but otherwise played well.  He does actually try and looks like he cares, none of which compensates for his lack of ability which will ultimately have to be addressed.  Adeloye annoys folk because he does appear to have some ability, but his attitude of late has been stinking.  Other than the televised match against Accies, he’s barely kicked a ball since last September.  The only one who can change that is him, assuming he really wants to.  

I’d rather see us go 2 up front with the new guy and probably McKenzie - at least he’ll move and give the opposition something to think about.  I certainly haven’t written Moffat off either, but I accept I seem to be in the minority on that one.

He had three goals in four games in December...

He might get dropped for Ashford and he can have no complaints if he does after Saturday, but let’s not rewrite his entire season. 

I can possibly give you yesterday, but I have no real idea due to the stream but I don’t really believe his attitude has been stinking either. It wasn’t against Morton. It is a narrative based on not very much. 

Did our manager not say I want us to play it out from the back ? We did that yesterday then blootered the ball in the general direction of the way we were shooting. Now if McGinty and the rest were not meant to be doing that the Ayr bench would be going nuts but I didn’t see any of them getting on to anyone about this tactic. 
Adeloye had a poor game yesterday but deary me the service to him 😕. He is most certainly a mood player and that mood doesn’t appear to be very good just now. Today when he was subbed off I said to my friend he won’t be here next season and I think he will add to his long list of clubs by moving on. 
As for the new signings on the park Ashford immediately impressed for obvious reasons but the other s on the day were poor but it’s very early days. 
It would probably be easier to say who I’d keep than who should go but what we are stuck with have a job on their hands to keep this team up. 

2 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

Did our manager not say I want us to play it out from the back ? We did that yesterday then blootered the ball in the general direction of the way we were shooting. Now if McGinty and the rest were not meant to be doing that the Ayr bench would be going nuts but I didn’t see any of them getting on to anyone about this tactic. 
Adeloye had a poor game yesterday but deary me the service to him 😕. He is most certainly a mood player and that mood doesn’t appear to be very good just now. Today when he was subbed off I said to my friend he won’t be here next season and I think he will add to his long list of clubs by moving on. 
As for the new signings on the park Ashford immediately impressed for obvious reasons but the other s on the day were poor but it’s very early days. 
It would probably be easier to say who I’d keep than who should go but what we are stuck with have a job on their hands to keep this team up. 

Agree with most of this but I’m hoping that our lack of finding a player with a pass was more down to that awful surface and the windy conditions. If not we are in big trouble as we didn’t manage anymore than 2 passes to a team mate in the whole game.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

Agree with most of this but I’m hoping that our lack of finding a player with a pass was more down to that awful surface and the windy conditions. If not we are in big trouble as we didn’t manage anymore than 2 passes to a team mate in the whole game.

This has been happening for months. Most folk blamed Joe Chalmers for it. 

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He had three goals in four games in December...

He has  also scored the same amount as Zak Rudden who is moving to a (current) premier team. 

12 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

I think that is the style he wants to play but the issue is that none of our central midfielders, neither the base of our central midfield are capable of playing that way. 

26 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

If so then Tuesday is going to be a hard slog.

When we panic or are devoid of ideas then we resort to hoofball, and I don't think that's something which can be trained out of the squad in a couple of weeks. A hang up from Hopkin or just a squad limited in ability it won't do us any favours in a relegation battle.

When we panic or are devoid of ideas then we resort to hoofball, and I don't think that's something which can be trained out of the squad in a couple of weeks. A hang up from Hopkin or just a squad limited in ability it won't do us any favours in a relegation battle.
The problem is when it's passed out to McGinty at the back his first instinct is to look up and fire a howitzer up the park whither this is because he thinks that left foot is a wand or this is the way he has been instructed to play all his career it's not going to be trained out him in a few weeks.

If we are adding two more in this window I'd like a competent centre half who doesn't make at least one howler every game and a midfielder who can create. Failing that, 2 proper midfielders who can hold onto the ball and link play properly with the front player(s). Sick of watching Adeloye try to chase down and control a ball shelled in his general direction from our own penalty area then, if he's successful, struggle to have any support within 30 yards. Sick of watching Muirhead being shoehorned into a position he can't play just to protect the Bombscare Brothers behind him.  We are in deep shit and need to find a way to score goals as we are unable to prevent the opponents from scoring so might as well just have a go. At least put up some resistance rather than meekly surrendering every week.

Is there any mileage at all in Bradley coming back? Obviously, not as big a priority as other areas. However, he'd help link play between midfield and attack. 

The priority for me is another central midfielder and probably a new central defender. We've moved on numerous central midfielders this season (Miller, Chalmers, McAllister) and only brought one in, Dempsey. We are exceedingly light there. Also Muirhead does not count as a central midfielder. 

Is there any news on Michael Hewitt returning from injury?