The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Another new player in an area which needed strengthening. Still trying to get my head around this new signing policy. Are we trying to self fund the recruitment head by taking players who didn't quite make the grade but could still get a fee in the future. Or is there too much competition for lower league scottish players and this is our best route. Would imagine quite a few won't also settle in an environment like this. It's worth noting that we are in the middle of a relegation scrap and require performances today so would like to see a balance between proven and left field signings  

Was the whole mess at Falkirk not a result of Hartley just getting agents to punt loads of guys north of the border without knowing anything about them or having seen them play?

Obviously we’ll have worked closely with a couple of different agencies in order to sign Gondoh, Dempsey and Ashford but you’d also hope that Glendinning and Mathie have done their due diligence and at the very least have watched footage of them playing.

9 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

It's worth noting that we are in the middle of a relegation scrap and require performances today so would like to see a balance between proven and left field signings  

This is totally fair. 

I'm assuming that the competition for players up here makes it cost prohibitive to sign them other than loans. The problem with loans is the bigger bench and more subs which means more top flight clubs will opt to keep their players.

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Was the whole mess at Falkirk not a result of Hartley just getting agents to punt loads of guys north of the border without knowing anything about them or having seen them play?

Obviously we’ll have worked closely with a couple of different agencies in order to sign Gondoh, Dempsey and Ashford but you’d also hope that Glendinning and Mathie have done their due diligence and at the very least have watched footage of them playing.

Completely this, though I’m positive they will have done their research on these guys. 

It is nice to recruit a little outside the box, but all our signings so far are very high risk. Let’s hope we have found some gems!

I watch Crawley a lot down here (I brought my son up to support lower league football and our nearest ELF club is Crawley). Sam Ashford is a pretty decent player and was a fans' favourite. He was played as a wing back as Crawley favours five at the back and although he can be sensational going forward, he is not so great at the defensive duties.

Crawley has way too many wingers/wing halves so he ended up going out on loan to Woking where he was a stand out. We were very surprised and many were disappointed when he was loaned out.

A very good player who I think will be a great asset for you.

Not sure how prudent it is signing folk to 18 month deals with the threat of relegation looming, or at least a bunch of them. Still Bullen's backroom staff to bring in and probably have to pay the other lot off at end of season too. Suppose there's quite a lot of savings to be made with the current squad though.

So this is the current state of the squad:

Keepers: McAdams and Albinson

Defenders: Houston, Hewitt, Maxwell, Reading, Ecrepont, McGinty, Fjortoft, Baird, Muirhead

Midfielders: Murdoch, Dempsey, Smith

Attackers: Moffat, Adeloye, McKenzie, Afolabi, Ashford, Bryden, Gondoh, O’Connor

Admittedly there’s 2 or 3 of our defenders that can play in midfield, but we really need at least 1 centre mid, if not 2 and get rid of Afolabi.  

8 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
10 minutes ago, bazka6 said:
Sounds like he might not be eligible for today? “Subject to international clearance”

According to robbo we applied yesterday morning.

I know that’s kind of my concern, there’s no ‘straight into todays squad’. Waiting for the team sheet at 2.

Edited by bazka6