The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

46 minutes ago, Iain said:

This would be fine if the caretaker manager hadn't managed two wins and two clean sheets with an approach Bullen immediately abandoned once his feet were under the table.

Totally agree, as crazy as it sounds after only 2 games in total charge I'm doubtful of Bullen already his selections, tactics, substitutions and the whole handling of Adeloye are baffling. It's his job to manage Tommi if he's an awkward character, we have a very simple choice to make unless a decent striker is added to the squad play Moffat and get relegated or Adeloye and have half a chance ,Moff has been terrific for us a true legend but sadly he carries no goal threat whatsoever, his excellent link up play has sadly gone aswell. 

It's incredibly that for 2 years our only performances are when Davie White and Tam Tait take charge, the team instantly become motivated and organised, the last two performances are Duffy and Hopkinesque which is embarrassing. I'm not suggesting sacking that would be utterly ridiculous, just pointing out reservations. 

Mathie and his mate better get their fingers out re signings, its all very well spouting soundbites "synergy, moving forward" ect ect but it's time for action now or we're down,everybody knows we're in dire need of 4 signings CH, 2 Mids and a striker, but tbf the problem is bigger which will need overhauled in the summer, our CHs are poor no doubt about it, but both full backs now seem incapable stopping any balls being fired into them.

1 hour ago, Ayrfix said:

We need to realise that in order to get someone in, one of our 'players' needs to leave and go to a new club. Ask yourself this, would any of our players improve any other team? These guys are on contracts (Hopkin to blame fully here) on certain terms. They are not going to leave if they are getting less money. Smith cannot just chuck money at a larger squad, much as we would like him to.

I keep seeing this line being trotted out by certain posters on here and it’s simply nonsense. ideally we’d want to move the fringe players on but like you say who would want them? 

We simply can’t afford to be relegated this year. If we are then we will be down in league 1 for years and crowds will dwindle. 

We have been shite for 18 months, we win 2 games every time there is a manager change then revert to stinking the place out again.

Bullens approach on the park so far has been dreadful, the Morton game was one of the worst performances I have seen in the last 18 months, that off the back of two wins, a change of set up and formation and no changes made it brutal to watch.

The St Mirren game, same set up and formation with different players and the same result.

if he does the same against Hamilton then I have no sympathy for him.

We all hope he does well, he does well, the club does well. 

We knew we needed players in, all we were hearing in December was, we will get players in, players have been identified. We now have a manager who has been out of the Scottish game for 20 years, no assistant brought in and we are looking for free agents from a regional non-league set up. All the decent players were picked up early and we are now left crossing our fingers that a premier team wants to loan us a player.

We deserve everything we get to be honest. 

Are folk really saying that Bullen is a failure already, he's inherited a crap unbalanced squad squad that Hopkin and Duffy built, I'd love to see to see us knocking the ball about but are these players even capable of doing it? McGinty is no Rose, Baird is no Adams or Bell, Muirhead is no Kerr or Doc, Tomi is no Shankland and Moff is not the player that he was even 2 seasons ago, let the guy have a chance before we fling the towel in.

I really don’t see how people are saying his approach has been worse than the previous two managers.

Even so, as I said with Duffy, he is completely hamstrung with the state of the squad at the minute. It’s very to tell him to play more attacking players but it won’t change a great deal when we still have no midfield and a horrendous defence.

26 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Are folk really saying that Bullen is a failure already, he's inherited a crap unbalanced squad squad that Hopkin and Duffy built, I'd love to see to see us knocking the ball about but are these players even capable of doing it? McGinty is no Rose, Baird is no Adams or Bell, Muirhead is no Kerr or Doc, Tomi is no Shankland and Moff is not the player that he was even 2 seasons ago, let the guy have a chance before we fling the towel in.

When Hopkin took over, he made the team worse. He had a summer window to fix it and made it even worse.

Bullen has came in and made us a lot worse than the previous two games, two wins against top 4 teams then 2 defeats were we barely got a shot away. Why can these players manage to play well under Whyte but not Bullen or Duffy? they are obviously capable of winning games. He has a chance to prove himself in the coming weeks that he is capable, something that Hopkin and Duffy didn’t do.

I didn't say he is worse and I'm not throwing the towel in, I'm saying based on his first 2 games I've major reservations, the temporary managers in my opinion have motivated and more importantly organised the team to a far higher standard than our last 3 managers including Bullen, who absolutely deserves far more time to rectify it,although as I said I'm already concerned. 

The transfer policy of lads from non league England with no Scottish experience on the recommendation of agents also fills me with trepidation, some will work obviously but it's risky

So does our fascination with East Coast based players Todorov, Liam Craig, Paul Watson all will have a dim view of a 3 hour commute and it's an easy decision if a Dunfermline, Raith even Hamilton come calling. 

Issue for me is he appears to have attempted an ‘experiment’ two managers had already failed abysmally with - did nobody think to have a word? A gung ho 4-2-4 would have been more excusable. At least he didn’t try it in the league.

Edited by bazka6

On 22/01/2022 at 17:52, THEHonestman1910 said:

Better team won that today, Saints had more energy, more hungry and more organised.

The whole collective back 4 is a mess, we were torn apart at times. 

Whatever people see in Andy Murdoch this season well and truly remains a mystery to me, what does he actually bring to the team??

Gondoh looked good with his work rate and good dribbling, sadly he had very little service.  

Andy murdoch has been Ayr’s best player this season by an apsolute country mile of that there is no doubt. If he signs a contract extension that would be a superb bit of business but i canny see it unfortunately. 

I agree about the tactics in the last 2 games, however the biggest difference for me between Arbroath and Morton was the players attitudes and work rate which seemed to have dropped off markedly and again it wasnt there on Saturday. In fact I cant remember a tackle being made and the fact we didnt have any bookings in a cup tie against a local rival speaks volumes for me.

We can blame Bullen but the same guys failed Hopkin, Duffy and some of them also failed Kerr and I think it's pretty unrealistic to be sacking Managers every 4 weeks as that is what this mob of charlatans would appear to want.

That said, there's no doubt that we've been at our best when Adeloye has been backed up by O'Connor and Bradley when here with Maxwell also playing more advanced. So if we start with that type of side with Gondoh in for Bradley then hopefully we would give our opponents something to think about as opposed to sitting back and letting them do as they please with no worries about us attacking them at all. Moffs legs have gone, McKenzie is decent and puts in a shift but still not sure his actual position, plus he's still a bit raw and inconsistent and as for Bryden, a relegation battle is certainly no place to be relying on a 17 year old boy chucked in straight from the academy.

2 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Who's asked for him to be sacked?

Nobody and I didnt say anyone did, I merely pointed out that we cant keep sacking Managers when we have a poor performance and he IS getting some strong criticism already when hes just in the door and stuck with the same group as everyone else had.

I'd also point out that the existing coaching staff must have been giving their thoughts so feel it would be totally wrong to say the 2 wins were totally white and tait and the 2 defeats were totally Bullen. 

After the Arbroath game we looked like we were maybe a couple of midfielders and a defender short, Mark Reynolds would have been perfect, an experienced defender to help the ones we already have.

A couple of midfielders, one that can pass and one that can win the ball and give it to the one who can pass. Dorrans would be ideal for the first part of that.

After Saturday, we need 3 new defenders and 3 midfielders, along with another forward as we have managed to upset the only one capable of scoring goals semi-regularly.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the set up on Saturday was negative, it was clearly intended to be positive but vacating the middle of the park was absolutely wild. As was then playing Muirhead as the six and Murdoch more advanced -  Muirhead isn’t capable of taking the ball and Murdoch isn’t nearly as effective further forward. I actually saw VOR tweeting before the game about it being a 3-5-2, and thought to myself “don’t be so fucking stupid, there is only one CM in the team.” Of course, playing a two up front of McKenzie and Moffat was also crazy. I am obviously looking for Bullen to learn from that, as he hasn’t seen what we have in terms of some of these partnerships before. It needs to start this weekend though. 

On Saturday, back to basics. Two deeper lying central midfielders in Murdoch and the new CM - they can both drop in and give the CB’s easy passes to stop the aimless hoofing and then look to link up with Maxwell, Gondoh and O’Connor in the forward positions. If we are struggling at times, Tomi is up front for clipped passes into his feet/chest (not aimless long balls) Murdoch can then do his best work, buzzing about winning the ball back and retaining possession - we can also see what the new guy will bring. 

Anyway, are we expecting an "imminent" today ? Or are we going to rattle off 2 or 3 at once to cheer us all up ?

Apart from this, was Liam Craig even a target ? I find this strange as if he has a coaching role at StJohnstone and they dont want him to leave plus he's still under contract, then surely neither ourselves or any of our "East coast" rivals were ever getting him anyway ???

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Anyway, are we expecting an "imminent" today ? Or are we going to rattle off 2 or 3 at once to cheer us all up ?

Apart from this, was Liam Craig even a target ? I find this strange as if he has a coaching role at StJohnstone and they dont want him to leave plus he's still under contract, then surely neither ourselves or any of our "East coast" rivals were ever getting him anyway ???

He is maybe more likely to go on loan to a part time team to play and be at St Johnston Mon-Fri