The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was eligible to play for the first team before and he still is. Changing his contract status doesn't make him a "new signing". You may as well argue extending any established first team player's contract makes him a "new signing". Bryden wasn't playing with the first team before Xmas because he wasn't getting picked for it.

I don't think he would be registered to play for the first team until a day or so before his first appearance.

Here’s hopping Bully agrees or has a say with whoever’s coming in as I’m told he never saw Gondoh until he seen him at training.

This seems to be the model we are following Mathie and the new scout picking the players for Bully to coach, that’s what he’s signed up for, but if the standard is not good he’s gonna have a hard job, trying to get gold out of silver.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was eligible to play for the first team before and he still is. Changing his contract status doesn't make him a "new signing". You may as well argue extending any established first team player's contract makes him a "new signing". Bryden wasn't playing with the first team before Xmas because he wasn't getting picked for it.

Hang on, so any club in League One or Two who signs a free agent isn't actually making a signing because they can play trialists, if you want to go down that road then that's you. 

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

Getting a growing feeling that the manager recruitment process was centred on who could put the most plausible face on selling the same crap we've been getting all season.

Who’s the biggest yes man. 

34 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There is a technical point about the Academy and Club being seperate legal entities. I would suggest the Ayr United at the front of both their names gives away the connection though. Also the whole ethos of the Academy is to provide players for the Ayr United first team.

Counting Fraser as a new signing we are still at a net position of +1. So we can expect another 3 or 4? Surely? The 1 or 2 chat from the club now is an utter nonsense. I'm half expecting a statement from the club akin to the Burnley partnership. Supporters got carried away we were never signing 4 new players... 

One of AUFC's directors represents the club on the Academy board, but it is funded separately. As well the pro-youth set up it does a hell of a lot of community work.

49 minutes ago, RedEd said:

One of AUFC's directors represents the club on the Academy board, but it is funded separately. As well the pro-youth set up it does a hell of a lot of community work.

You are dancing on the head of a pin here. The club also funds the Academy in addition to their fundraising. The club's name and badge features prominently. It's registered office is Somerset Park. I could go on here. Technically they are seperate legal entities but they are closely related.

I'm sure Lachlan even offered to rename it after Moffat to try and keep him before he moved to Dunfermline. Not sure if that's an urban myth mind or Lachlan talking crap.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, Lochwood said:

Here’s hopping Bully agrees or has a say with whoever’s coming in as I’m told he never saw Gondoh until he seen him at training.

This seems to be the model we are following Mathie and the new scout picking the players for Bully to coach, that’s what he’s signed up for, but if the standard is not good he’s gonna have a hard job, trying to get gold out of silver.

Think I'd rather have that model for now tbh than what we've been doing so far. I'm sure in the summer Bullen will have more of a say when there's more time to discuss it.

If we had that model at the start of the season is Hopkin allowed to sign the Morton dregs?

Edited by UpInTheAyr

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You are dancing on the head of a pin here. The club also funds the Academy in addition to their fundraising. The club's name and badge features prominently. It's registered office is Somerset Park. I could go on here. Technically they are seperate legal entities but they are closely related.

I'm sure Lachlan even offered to rename it after Moffat to try and keep him before he moved to Dunfermline. Not sure if that's an urban myth mind or Lachlan talking crap.

I think the confusion here is that AUFA offered to rename some of the community sessions after Moff, who was a community coach at the time. The name of the Academy itself was never up for debate.

Januarys a difficult window however I feel we have a right to be disappointed re recruitment given the appointment of Mathie and more so Glendinning. Other than maybe Bradley they appear to have produced zero on the that front that wouldn’t have happened previously anyway.

16 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Think I'd rather have that model for now tbh than what we've been doing so far. I'm sure in the summer Bullen will have more of a say when there's more time to discuss it.

If we had that model at the start of the season is Hopkin allowed to sign the Morton dregs?

True and no but we need to survive this season first.

Occurred to me yesterday that had we been in a more stable position in the league we could already be planning for next season with pre contract agreements etc….

So we’ve moved on from thinking that the board pick the cheapest option to now thinking the board pick someone who’ll go along with that they want?

It’s possible that there are good appointments and bad appointments and that in reality we tend not focus solely on how much we’ll have to pay or how agreeable he will be with the board.

Hang on, so any club in League One or Two who signs a free agent isn't actually making a signing because they can play trialists, if you want to go down that road then that's you. 

Think a player can only play as a trialist for a limited number of games, no?

However I don’t see how we can just play an academy player without having him registered to play? Surely we don’t just register every academy player either? I’m sure when we were in League One, we were told we couldn’t play Finn Ecrepont against Alloa because he wasn’t properly registered.

I’m not a fan of the idea that recruitment should/will be solely left to Mathie and Glendinning.

Bullen is the man in charge of the playing staff and it will be his tactics and ideas that these players will be at least trying to play to. Therefore he’s got to be the main deciding factor in new signings. Bullen should be giving Glendinning his wants/needs and leaving it down to him to find a shortlist for Bullen to pick from.

Of course this is in an ideal world and nothing Ayr United related is ever ideal.

@North British said earlier we're getting a striker on loan from England apparantly, not sure if he's ITK or what.

And on Mathie and Glendinning, they only came into the club less than a month before the January Transfer Window, clubs that know they're in the shits start planning in October/November for drawing up targets. We're effectively playing catch up as apparantly our original targets for January was Duffy bringing in Tam O'Ware who at this moment would probably be an upgrade on McGinty.

The route we do seem to be going down however is getting guys up from down south that nobody has ever heard of, which certaibly correlates with the model Hamilton ran in the Premiership, majority of the guys they brought in were from likes of League 1 and 2 in England. Safe to say they were hit and miss too.

Edited by rb123!

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

I don't think he would be registered to play for the first team until a day or so before his first appearance.

He was. And he made his first appearance BEFORE Ayr announced he'd signed a pro contract (as he's perfectly entitled to do). Appreciate Ayr might just have announced the signing late but it wouldn't make any difference.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

It may be funded separately but the players are registered to Ayr United and if they are aged 16 they are eligible to play for the first team.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Gie's peace.

Humouring you for a moment, of course they would be making a signing if registering someone who wasn't registered to them before. Bryden was registered to Ayr United already. He will have signed a new registration form to convert from amateur to professional but he was eligible to play for Ayr United previously and he still is. Claiming he's a new signing is an act of pure desperation.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think a player can only play as a trialist for a limited number of games, no?

However I don’t see how we can just play an academy player without having him registered to play? Surely we don’t just register every academy player either? I’m sure when we were in League One, we were told we couldn’t play Finn Ecrepont against Alloa because he wasn’t properly registered.

They are all registered Ayr United players. As soon as they turn 16 they can play for the first team (unless not registered at all of course). When you were last in League 1 Finn Ecrepont wouldn't have been old enough to play for the first team (can't do so before your 16th birthday). He didn't turn 16 until the summer after you were promoted.

Not a good weekend for either the team or a lot of the posters on here I’m afraid.

It’s difficult to pass judgement on about six minutes of highlights but the cup game was pretty grim viewing and certainly didn’t seem to show much if any reaction to the disappointing Morton result from the players. It was always unlikely this poor squad were going to cause an upset against a team from a division above but St Mirren are hardly one of the big boys and apart from the shot dragged wide in the first few minutes and a sort of penalty shout late on we were never in it. The first goal would be an utter embarrassment for a kids team let alone one that has players the height of McGinty, Muirhead and Baird in it. You couldn’t really describe it as a cross as the ball was just lobbed into the box for the shortest man in attendance to head home. Shocking. The best thing about the highlights were seeing a proper crowd in the ground again and also a proper away support.

To hear negative posts about Bullen from a few posters already is nuts. He’s inherited an utterly woeful squad and despite what a surprisingly large number of posters seem to think it’s likely the make up of the squad won’t change significantly as this is a January window not the end of the season so he’s going to need to get more out of what we’ve currently got along with hopefully two or maybe three further additions than Hopkin or Duffy ever managed. That might mean trying a few things that don’t come off as he said himself in the post match interview but I’m happy for him to try rather than going with what the two previous managers kept doing.

I think the comments about business needing to be done towards the end of the window when the big clubs are looking to move players out on loan and some players will be keener to accept an option to put themselves I. The window for when they are out of contract are probably right so hopefully that will be the case. Talk of radically changing the make up of the squad in January is absolute fantasy as for a start we’d be unlikely to shift any of the dross we currently have onto anyone with half a footballing brain. It’s been said a few times that this is our most expensive squad ever and while I would be seriously surprised if it was it does mean we’re unlikely to have a blank cheque book to buy our way out of trouble.

Fingers crossed for a few good additions in the next week and that Bullen does find a way of polishing some of the turds that are currently stinking up the club before flushing them away in the summer.

We need to realise that in order to get someone in, one of our 'players' needs to leave and go to a new club. Ask yourself this, would any of our players improve any other team? These guys are on contracts (Hopkin to blame fully here) on certain terms. They are not going to leave if they are getting less money. Smith cannot just chuck money at a larger squad, much as we would like him to.

50 minutes ago, Ayrfix said:

We need to realise that in order to get someone in, one of our 'players' needs to leave and go to a new club. Ask yourself this, would any of our players improve any other team? These guys are on contracts (Hopkin to blame fully here) on certain terms. They are not going to leave if they are getting less money. Smith cannot just chuck money at a larger squad, much as we would like him to.

You can say this all you want, but if we don’t add players we are going to be relegated. Given league one is now horrendously competitive we could spend years down there. I’m pretty sure we can’t afford that either.