The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I'm sure I was at that game too 😊

Your right though, there was a serious belief around that time that Ayr were world beaters. It wasn't until another Airdrie game i attended, where goalposts were ripped down and so on, that I saw what football could do to losing fans. I hadn't been at a losing game yet 😅

Then of course the decline through Campbell Money, Neil Watt etc. Depressing stuff. 

Yeah, those times were good times to be an Ayr fan.

However, they could have better if it wasn't for those stupid stadium regulations, South Ayrshire Council and having Gordon Dalziel as manager.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

That's what I'm going for 😊 a day he'll remember. It's great that they remember games like that 😊, Aston Villa being quite the team back then. What was the score?

He's Six years old with Ambitions to play football for Ayr United and Scotland 😅 Wait and see. 

Memories are great. My first game was a Derby in January 1999, I was 8 🤔 though can't remember the score, someone do remind me 😉😝

My 1st full game I remember was the 2-0 win over the Ross County in 2001-02 season.

Also remember when we put 4 past Wigan earlier that same year against future Man U keeper Roy Carroll.

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Doubt it, we don’t have a penny of external debt. All being financed by the Directors. Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s no comparison. It also helps if you have 4000 core fans instead of 1000.

Have you any plans for the 14,000 empty seats?

9 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Also remember when we put 4 past Wigan earlier that same year against future Man U keeper Roy Carroll.

Ah yeah, I remember that. Lost Gary Teale to that side, they did not bad that team and made it to the premier League. Still couldn't defeat the super of back then. Played Wigan twice, 1984 and 2001. Results of 3-1 and 4-0. That's a good aggregate 😅👍

14 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Gordon Dalziel as manager.

That was the main problem of the team back then. Buying players and not getting the results. Money wasted. Should have blown that league away with the money spent. I'm certain had the league been won, Bill Barr would have done something with the stadium, or I'd have hoped he would have.

The season after Dalziel left, when Ayr were relegated, was the first time in my life that I truly felt apathy for the first time. People had generally lost interest in Ayr United.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Have you any plans for the 14,000 empty seats?

Yep, we’ll save them for the big games, really wish you could bring a decent crowd for the up and coming derby but I now realise your big team is playing Hibs the same night. Reason found for pish ticket sales.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Ah yeah, I remember that. Lost Gary Teale to that side, they did not bad that team and made it to the premier League. Still couldn't defeat the super of back then. Played Wigan twice, 1984 and 2001. Results of 3-1 and 4-0. That's a good aggregate 😅👍

That was the main problem of the team back then. Buying players and not getting the results. Money wasted. Should have blown that league away with the money spent. I'm certain had the league been won, Bill Barr would have done something with the stadium, or I'd have hoped he would have.

The season after Dalziel left, when Ayr were relegated, was the first time in my life that I truly felt apathy for the first time. People had generally lost interest in Ayr United.

2003 to 2008 was thoroughly depressing, and is when we lost a lot of the fanbase who were coming during the good times. Tbh I can hardly blame them, because those Ayr teams were dire.

Brian Reid came in and gave us some good times, but he could not establish us in the second tier.

2012 to 2015 was again thoroughly depressing. 

Ian McCall came in and brought the good times back.

2019-2022 has been a bit depressing.

So basically, there are short periods of good times sandwiched between times of varying degrees of depression.

The joys of being an Ayr fan.

3 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Yep, we’ll save them for the big games, really wish you could bring a decent crowd for the up and coming derby but I now realise your big team is playing Hibs the same night. Reason found for pish ticket sales.

Make sure you give Sevco their songbook back.

Maybe instead of worrying about how many fans we are bringing to rusty park you should worry about why your team can't even top part time Arbroath, it's Ayr who are trying to become a established championship team I thought not Killie.

Can't believe people are still replying to the soapdodging trolls. Some of us have them on mute as we cannot be arsed with their childish behaviour and only see their drivel when someone replies to them. Can y'all either please ignore them or put them on mute? 

Would be much appreciated as they bring nothing other than annoyance to the thread. 

1 minute ago, yorkshirepud said:

Can't believe people are still replying to the soapdodging trolls. Some of us have them on mute as we cannot be arsed with their childish behaviour and only see their drivel when someone replies to them. Can y'all either please ignore them or put them on mute? 

Would be much appreciated as they bring nothing other than annoyance to the thread. 

I was taught to be nice to people less fortunate than myself.

3 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Well ignored ya mug . You’re mute isn’t working old champion.

57 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

Maybe instead of worrying about how many fans we are bringing to rusty park you should worry about why your team can't even top part time Arbroath, it's Ayr who are trying to become a established championship team I thought not Killie.

And I think that just sums up the difference between us. 

While we have hopes and aspirations of getting back into the top league where we belong, you are struggling to survive in the championship.

And I think that just sums up the difference between us. 
While we have hopes and aspirations of getting back into the top league where we belong, you are struggling to survive in the championship.
Not quite we are trying to establish ourselfs and stop being the yo yo club we have been for the last 20 years, would love to have went up with the shankland team a few years ago but would have cane straight back down, I'm confident the multi year plan that smith has in place will see us in the prem at some point.

2 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Hope you and your friend from Essex have a good time 👍. Different culture here in Ayrshire 😅 

Thanks bud...he's a proud Scotsman who has has worked for NHS for years down there and couldn't resist the chance  to come to Somerset as we told him it would be so good.....buzzing now for my local Ship Inn early doors🤗

4 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Doubt it, we don’t have a penny of external debt. All being financed by the Directors. Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s no comparison. It also helps if you have 4000 core fans instead of 1000.

Yet here we are in the same league.

Pleading poverty and cuts after the play-off loss to Dundee.

Waving goodbye to Kyle Lafferty as he was too expensive.

Killie - more faces than the toon clock.

1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

You can give them their scarves back 

You can give them the 2 stands back if you only get 4,000 at home games 

Could probably do 3 tbf, 1 lego stand would be sufficiënt for your home crowd

Edited by rb123!

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

1700 away fans last I heard and hoping for more. Hope the home tickets sell out and the place is rocking like some of our previous visits many years ago now. This was my dream draw as I moved here in 2007 and have considered Ayr my home now and love it but will always be a Saint. Ship Inn at opening time sounds tempting......

I remember way back in the day when St Mirren got promoted up to join Ayr in the SPL . You guys became our derby fixture due to the filthy unwashed being in the old first division . Four great games against St Mirren , I think we won two a piece . Remember a 3-2 win at Somerset on Brian McLaughlin’s debut and another victory at Love Street on New Year’s Day .. can’t remember much about the two that Saints won , but that is often the case . Good luck tomorrow Jimmy Boo ....