The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Its a three way slug fest regardless. 

Its rare for any team to get 2 or 3 real quality signings in January at any level of the game. It definitely doesn't happen in the bottom half of the Championship, it just doesn't.

St Mirren pulled it off a few years back as well did they not ?

I'd also say Dunfermline and Hamilton are firmly in the relegation mix.

On paper they have strong squads and more money but the reality is that they aren't really improving and seem to be every bit as bad, if not worse, than ourselves, Queens and Morton.

St Mirren pulled it off a few years back as well did they not ?
I'd also say Dunfermline and Hamilton are firmly in the relegation mix.
On paper they have strong squads and more money but the reality is that they aren't really improving and seem to be every bit as bad, if not worse, than ourselves, Queens and Morton.

St Mirren sold Kyle McAllister for a 6 figure fee and went out and spent a fair bit of money of bringing players in.

But I agree that Accies and Dunfermline are firmly in the shit with us. Dunfermline probably need as much work done as we do to counteract the fact they have John Hughes as manager.

18 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Slightly concerned that you're not ruling out the top part...

Surprising Fjortoft has ended up in that position as he was probably the best one out of the 3 of them on paper

I'd be very concerned if anyone thought Mason Robertson is a name everyone would know. However I'm sure before Chalmers signed he was described by someone on here as a pedigree signing. Ironically his performances for us could still be described in dog terms but it wouldn't be that word. 

45 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

I'd be very concerned if anyone thought Mason Robertson is a name everyone would know. However I'm sure before Chalmers signed he was described by someone on here as a pedigree signing. Ironically his performances for us could still be described in dog terms but it wouldn't be that word. 

Chalmers was a bit of a pedigree signing though He had played at this level and the level above.

I’d doubt anyone that hasn’t watched the David Robertson documentary would have any idea who Mason Robertson is. 

Chalmers was a bit of a pedigree signing though He had played at this level and the level above.
I’d doubt anyone that hasn’t watched the David Robertson documentary would have any idea who Mason Robertson is. 
He'll be away next season I imagine. Fair chunk of wages freed up there between him and McGinty.

How, exactly?

He’s better than McGinty and Baird had a really hard first season so it was fair to assume that Fjortoft was the best of the three.

In reality though Baird has suddenly grown into a better player (still with the odd mistake though) and Fjortoft always looks uncomfortable against anything that isn’t a long punt for him to header. I can see us offloading him IF we can bring in a better player but we’ll probably keep McGinty around as a back up until the summer when we can get rid of him as well.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Izzy Jones, Dapo Mebude and Rhys Breen signed last January had a massive part in turning our season round last year.

I don't think any of them could have fitted into the quality signings bracket when they first came in though.

In hindsight they perhaps turned your season round but they definitely fitted into the young / could be anything bracket as opposed to ready made "quality".