The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 22/12/2021 at 20:39, Skyline Drifter said:

Suspect it's far more likely nobody's actually checked the small print and realised they can't.

I suppose technically they could amend that rule. It exists because the Premiership broadcast contract gives Sky exclusive rights to broadcast of live footage. Sky willingly waived it for PPV at home but not for public performance. The Sky contract doesn't actually cover the lower leagues but the League rule is drafted for the whole league, not just the Premiership because they were potentially going to sell rights for lower leagues on the same basis. They ultimately didn't though. The BBC Championship contract is not exclusive which is why clubs can, if they really want to, stream their own games even when broadcast live on the BBC.

40 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Not to nit-pick (f**k it, I am nit-picking) but you said it couldn't happen :) 

Bloody hell. If you are going to be so desperate to nit pick that you have to go back almost 4 weeks to find a quote, it's probably best then not to claim it says something it doesn't (I never said they "couldn't", I said they "can't" which was correct at the time) nor to edit out the half of the post you found that actually suggest they ultimately could do exactly what they have.

You're not doing very well here, I'd suggest you quit while you're behind. 😝

We were beaten by a basic 3-5-2 system which we did not adapt to and Morton won all the fifty fifty challenges coupled with giving the ball away to them regularly, Tommy scores with the gift it’s a different game as they would have changed there system instead we gave them gifts and they obliged and eased through the game at there own pace.
Really worrying that the coach thinks we have enough defenders if that’s the case and he doesent get a centre half in  we will have a big problem as Mcginty is an imposter.

I mean we do have enough defenders it’s just we don’t have enough good ones. His point is that we can’t go an recruit in an area we are already stacked in when we need to be addressing other areas where we are vastly short of bodies and making the squad more balanced.

If we can offload one or two defenders then I’d say we should try and bring one quality centre back in who can make a difference but I don’t think teams will be lining up to sign Fjortoft or McGinty.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If we can offload one or two defenders then I’d say we should try and bring one quality centre back in who can make a difference but I don’t think teams will be lining up to sign Fjortoft or McGinty.

I'm sure Falkirk would do us a favour. 🤣

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

See tbh I’d offload Muirhead if it meant we could get someone who would improve us in. I’m sure Thistle would oblige.

I'd rather keep Muirhead. Even if just to annoy Uncle Ian. I do know what you are getting at though.

He is being played out of position too much. He's not a centre mid or defensive midfielder and isnt good enough in there. He needs played at centre back.

Surely Mark Reynolds will still want more money than Ayr are prepared to put up. There are surely options somewhere in between the travelling circus that's in place right now and Mark Reynolds.

Yesterday was definitely a wake-up call after all the recent good news and results elsewhere could only possibly have gone worse if QOS had won but it does bring things back to reality. This is a season where the target is eighth. If fucking Hopkin could pull that off in a marginally higher-quality league then it's a realistic target.

23 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Surely Mark Reynolds will still want more money than Ayr are prepared to put up. There are surely options somewhere in between the travelling circus that's in place right now and Mark Reynolds.

Yesterday was definitely a wake-up call after all the recent good news and results elsewhere could only possibly have gone worse if QOS had won but it does bring things back to reality. This is a season where the target is eighth. If fucking Hopkin could pull that off in a marginally higher-quality league then it's a realistic target.

The league was slightly stronger, however, we did have an isolated Alloa who were doomed to finish 10th so it was all about avoiding 9th spot which we did on the last day. This time we have 2 spots up for grabs not just the one. It’s going to be tough ask to finish 8th as the teams round about us are not any worse than us.

I guess yesterday is one of those road bumps that Bully was talking about . I sure with this group of players there will be more . I’m not too despondent about yesterday, it’s not as if Morton overrun us as such , we had 55% of possession which should usually spell victory . However it didn’t and Morton took their chances and left with the points . The facts are this group of players can’t get their A) game out every week and until we inject some classy signings into the mix then that will always be the case . If we want to push on as a club then guys like Reynolds and Gogic need to be targets and they’ll require getting paid what their worth . Otherwise we can only hope to get lucky with youths , chipped cups and dark horses ... Doesn’t always work though . Until we get better players in we really need to find a way to get O’Conner and Godoh on the park as much as we can , we have few other cards to play .

9 hours ago, rb123! said:

I don't think it was the intention today to play 4/5/1 but it turned into that with Morton playing the 3 at the back so their wingbacks pushed us back into a 5 in midfield. Personally think we should have tried to match their formation. Mind you Baird/McGinty/Fjortoft at the back may have been too much pain to witness...

The worrying part is that it was incredibly obvious that it would happen. If some of us on here know, you would like to think those in the dugout would have an idea!

Yesterday underlined how poorly balanced the squad is and I'm pleased it happened yesterday rather than a few weeks down the line as Bullen can still do something about it. I was worried the last two games might cause some false optimism that this squad was good enough to survive but surely that rumour can be put to bed. It is almost impossible to put out an attacking formation with the options available.  There were no options to change midfield. Adeloye, 2 pups and an ageing Moffot are the strike options. Bullen has his work cut out to make this team consistently competitive and he can start by finding some decent midfield and strike options. Would be happy to just stick Muirhead back in central defence and bin McGinty who reverted to type at the first goal by standing watching the run.

Big reality check yesterday, if bully did not know it before he must know now that we are crying out for a central midfielder who can put his foot on the ball, make a pass and create something I also think whoever we do sign needs to be someone with some experience not a youngster on loan, hopefully Mathie and Glendale have some rabbit to pull out of the hat sooner rather than later.

RB regardless of whether Houston stays or goes.

CB- To replace McGinty, either that or move Muirhead back.

CM- To replace Chalmers 

ST- To replace McKenzie (I know he’s been playing winger recently but expect Gondoh to take his place) 

Ideally at the end of January we’ll look something like: 

McAdams

New

Baird 

New

Reading

Gondoh

New

Murdoch

Maxwell

Adeloye

New

Subs- Albinson, Houston, Fjortoft/McGinty, Muirhead, Chalmers, O’Connor, Moffat

If we can move on the likes of McAllister (loan), one of McGinty or Fjortoft and Afolabi then even better. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

I think it’s pretty obvious Bullen knows where he needs improvement in the team , he has said a few times he has irons in the fire ,takes a bit longer to get players from Premiership clubs due to their break and some  teams deciding to keep players due to the new 5 sub rule in Premiership , next signing is important , but I think he will get the players he neads

That defending...

ETA, the highlights don’t show who was marking Reilly at the first. Reading appears to be marking Ugwu, with Baird covering the front post - I’ll suggest it was McGinty (they were both blaming each other afterwards)

Edited by No_Problemo

34 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

That defending...

ETA, the highlights don’t show who was marking Reilly at the first. Reading appears to be marking Ugwu, with Baird covering the front post - I’ll suggest it was McGinty (they were both blaming each other afterwards)

McGinty comes charging over leaving a gaping big hole for Ugwu to charge into, yes he was probably marking him but if he drifts out wide you don't follow him out there to open up half the pitch for him to waltz into. 

McGinty back to his inner Sam Roscoe there

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious Bullen knows where he needs improvement in the team , he has said a few times he has irons in the fire ,takes a bit longer to get players from Premiership clubs due to their break and some  teams deciding to keep players due to the new 5 sub rule in Premiership , next signing is important , but I think he will get the players he neads

You heard of any names or positions being mentioned. 

Have to agree with you aswell i fear this 5 sub rule in the premiership may affect things... hope i'm wrong