The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Genuinely not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this, he deserves his moment in the sun after Saturday. 

It's the middle of the January transfer window, your club has struggled through the first half of the season and is on its 3rd (THIRD) manager of the season already, fans are desperate for new players, you've just announced one and your club grabs everyone's attention by releasing a Teaser to imply there will be another new signing shortly..............................................................

Only to release the news that a member of the u18 squad, who was already eligible to play for the team and in fact did play last week, has signed a pro contract.

And you can't see why anyone might "get their knickers in a twist about this"? 😆

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's the middle of the January transfer window, your club has struggled through the first half of the season and is on its 3rd (THIRD) manager of the season already, fans are desperate for new players, you've just announced one and your club grabs everyone's attention by releasing a Teaser to imply there will be another new signing shortly..............................................................

Only to release the news that a member of the u18 squad, who was already eligible to play for the team and in fact did play last week, has signed a pro contract.

And you can't see why anyone might "get their knickers in a twist about this"? 😆

Correct, well done 👍🏻 

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally think people are being overly harsh on this one, he is essentially a new signing. Saturday was the first time he's ever been in a squad let alone on the park to my knowledge. The fact he's then gone on to sign a pro-contract off the back of that by definition is a new signing as he's never been on a pro-contract so his squad status has changed from being an eligible youngster to being a full time member of the first team. It is a massive moment for him and his family, should let them enjoy it. 

Other clubs have been doing similar all through the window to announce contract / loan extensions. Personally I'd rather this than that horrific effort Montrose came up with the other night for Keatings. 

13 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Personally think people are being overly harsh on this one, he is essentially a new signing. Saturday was the first time he's ever been in a squad let alone on the park to my knowledge. The fact he's then gone on to sign a pro-contract off the back of that by definition is a new signing as he's never been on a pro-contract so his squad status has changed from being an eligible youngster to being a full time member of the first team. It is a massive moment for him and his family, should let them enjoy it. 

Other clubs have been doing similar all through the window to announce contract / loan extensions. Personally I'd rather this than that horrific effort Montrose came up with the other night for Keatings. 

Completely agree. I actually think it was a great gesture by the club to show how important they view that step up - it was great for that individual and I am sure every Ayr fan hopes he will be massively successful. People are also quick to complain that we don't give people from the academy a chance early enough - we now have someone being given a great opportunity and we should congratulate everyone involved.

For God sake making a big deal of a local lad who is actually a Ayr fan not a fan of the ugly sisters coming from nowhere to make his debut and get a pro contract is something to be celebrated not pulled down, wonder how many folk will be saying it's a master stroke from bully if he scores a hat trick on Saturday, think how buzzing the boy will be in the last 24hrs he's sighed for his team, been in the paper, had the infamous callum interview and had his name on sky sports.

TBH, I didn't see my brother at Christmas 2020, so on Christmas 2021 I just gave him the present I had got for him in 2020 rather than getting him a new one. 

Therefore, it would be very hypocritical of me to complain about a player we already had being unveiled as if it was a new signing.

Edited by Richey Edwards

I get the feeling that some of the social media output is based on the feeling within the club bubble. 

The tweets about Dave Smith and the work he has done seemed like someone sucking up to the owner, Recognise the year anniversary by all means, I think doing it in a way that reflects on the past year, problems and achievements and look ahead, I think that may have came across better.

With the Bryden announcement, I’m sure a lot of people at the club are excited for a young local lad to sign a contract to join the first team. I think it is heaping a load of pressure on him. I don’t think we have announced any youth player stepping up in such a way before and it is maybe why there has been this reaction.

I’m pleased we have promoted someone from the youth team, if he scored relatively quickly then it will calm all of this down.

he came out of nowhere for most supporters where as guys like Mark Shankland and Ryan Nesbit were lauded for maybe 3 years before their debuts. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I get the feeling that some of the social media output is based on the feeling within the club bubble. 

The tweets about Dave Smith and the work he has done seemed like someone sucking up to the owner, Recognise the year anniversary by all means, I think doing it in a way that reflects on the past year, problems and achievements and look ahead, I think that may have came across better.

With the Bryden announcement, I’m sure a lot of people at the club are excited for a young local lad to sign a contract to join the first team. I think it is heaping a load of pressure on him. I don’t think we have announced any youth player stepping up in such a way before and it is maybe why there has been this reaction.

I’m pleased we have promoted someone from the youth team, if he scored relatively quickly then it will calm all of this down.

he came out of nowhere for most supporters where as guys like Mark Shankland and Ryan Nesbit were lauded for maybe 3 years before their debuts. 

I think it’s important to remember he is only seventeen, so is likely a huge amount of hard work away from making any sort of dent in actual first team involvement (apart from in a crisis) The next year or so developing with the first team squad will be good for him, before possibly going out on loan. 

Obviously, we all hope he manages it! 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I found it quite amusing actually, not to mention I'm really pleased with how the club have done it in respect to Fraser.

People are far too bloody serious nowadays and just seem to want a reason to get angry or criticise.

Honestly, some folk just need to chill out a bit !!!

58 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think it’s important to remember he is only seventeen, so is likely a huge amount of hard work away from making any sort of dent in actual first team involvement (apart from in a crisis)

This is a genuine question: are people aware that football academies are designed to generate players ready to play professional football? That is people who actually graduate from these academies, as opposed to flunking out of them at some point (probably because some bald man decided that they weren't tall enough) and spending the first half of their twenties dossing around at Stenhousemuir or Albion Rovers.

This is a genuine question: are people aware that football academies are designed to generate players ready to play professional football? That is people who actually graduate from these academies, as opposed to flunking out of them at some point (probably because some bald man decided that they weren't tall enough) and spending the first half of their twenties dossing around at Stenhousemuir or Albion Rovers.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Bryden doesn’t have the potential to make it with us but it’s still a huge leap from under 18s to senior football. If he manages to become a constant in the 18 man squad by the end of the season then that’s a great achievement for him. Next season should be about helping him (and McKenzie and Ecrepont) get more opportunities in the first 11. Either that or a loan spell for him at a lower league.

When you put everything into perspective, looking from Brydens point of view, How Amazing that boy must have felt. Then to be handed a contract, is just icing on the cake. Well done to him! 👏

To Replace the Moff, who had played for Ayr since Bryden was only what? 6-7-8 years old? That says it all for me. 😊

15 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Frankly, the majority of seventeen year olds we produce end up in the juniors - I’m not sure there is anything wrong with playing for the likes of Stenhousemuir. We produce players for a range of levels, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

There are very very few seventeen year olds who step up from the academy and are ready to play professional football, your point is largely nonsense. They step up from the academy as they are the best of the group and have potential - realising that potential in a professional environment is a completely different thing. It requires a huge amount of luck, hard work and talent after the academy stage to be ready to play professionally. 

Getting on the pitch at all at the age of seventeen is a fantastic achievement, but there is a long way to go to move past that. 

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that Bryden doesn’t have the potential to make it with us but it’s still a huge leap from under 18s to senior football. If he manages to become a constant in the 18 man squad by the end of the season then that’s a great achievement for him. Next season should be about helping him (and McKenzie and Ecrepont) get more opportunities in the first 11. Either that or a loan spell for him at a lower league.

I've not seen much of Ecrepont since watching him down at Wrexham where I thought he did very well, however what struck me about him when I saw him a couple of weeks back for his 1 min cameo, was how he had grown and also bulked out. He looks like he's developed from a boy to a man and it would be interesting to see where exactly he's at in terms of progression as I know he was VERY highly rated as a 15 / 16 year old.

It is okay to disagree with the club now and again. It is actually quite healthy.

It is even okay to disagree with different supporters, we all have a different view. We are not one homogeneous hive mind.

Implying that those taking a different view are angry, seething, in tears, need to calm down or are always moaning is just childish drivel. Give it a rest, it's verging on "I'm a better fan than you" and is utter nonsense.

I haven't seen a single fan take issue with Fraser and in fact to a man (or woman) it has been unanimous praise for his achievement. As it should be. 

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've not seen much of Ecrepont since watching him down at Wrexham where I thought he did very well, however what struck me about him when I saw him a couple of weeks back for his 1 min cameo, was how he had grown and also bulked out. He looks like he's developed from a boy to a man and it would be interesting to see where exactly he's at in terms of progression as I know he was VERY highly rated as a 15 / 16 year old.

He really needs to be out on loan in the second half of the season IMO. 

I remember talking to Stevie Evans, he said Craig Brown gave him his debut and he played a blinder, it came as a shock to him that he was getting a game and he flew in to it.

Before his second game, Brown told him to expect a bit of a stinker, his first game was on pure adrenaline and his second would be less and he would have more time to think about what he was doing and analysing any mistakes he made. 
He said he had a shocker in his second game but it didn’t dent his confidence because of what Brown had told him. 

Brown, like Bullen came through youth coaching and may be better at helping develop some of our your players than previous managers. 

McCall could get in a players head and get them playing, Whyte via Roberts brought players on. Daziel had guys that had good careers around or above Ayrs level after he had freed them to sign a 33yr old on £2k a week. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I don't accept that is the function of the academy.  It's one of them but they exist for much more IMO

E.g. teams at that level are generally made up of guys who won't make it who's sole function is to be a teammate of the 3/4 who might.