The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

If we wasn’t, he should be.

It would appear that I'd imagined that, because a Google search reveals nothing about him being added.

I'd add Stevo, Moffat, Shankland, Glynn Hurst, Jamie Adams and Andy Geggan.

ETA: Craig Nelson as well. 

Edited by Richey Edwards

13 hours ago, Hursty said:

There was that interview recently with Adeloye, Nouble and Obileye I think where they were saying the non league London scene is mental with players changing clubs constantly and that plenty were therefore looking to come to the likes of Scotland to get away from it.  

The English non League scene is certainly a potential source for players and one we've used relatively well in the last couple of years. We picked up Ayo Obileye and Nortei Nortey last season (& indirectly Izzy Jones). This year Josh Debayo, Udoka Chima and indirectly Roberto Nditi. Chima has been injured all season and Nortey was injured for a large portion of last year but the others have done pretty well. Obileye played every game and got himself a move into the Premiership. Izzy Jones granted had already been picked up by Middlesbrough but he was an absolute star and thats showing now with him English Championship Player of the Month for December. Josh Debayo and Roberto Nditi have played every game they've been fit for since signing. 

With defenders in particular in short supply in the Scottish game at the moment its a good source of players. From the player's point of view it is a far higher profile place to play and if young and no ties down South they can get themselves noticed and maybe pick up a bigger side up here or down South (see Obileye or Nouble for that matter). 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

The English non League scene is certainly a potential source for players and one we've used relatively well in the last couple of years. We picked up Ayo Obileye and Nortei Nortey last season (& indirdctly Izzy Jones). This year Josh Debayo, Udoka Chima and indirectly Roberto Nditi. Chima has been injured all season and Nortey was injured for a large portion of last year but the others have done pretty well. Obileye played every game and got himself a move into the Premiership. Izzy Jones granted had already been picked up by Middlesbrough but he was an absolute star and thats showing now with him English Championship Player of the Month for December. Josh Debayo and Roberto Nditi have played every game they've been fit for since signing. 

With defenders in particular in short supply in the Scottish game at the moment its a good source of players. From the players point of view it is a far higher profile place to play and if young and no ties down South they can get themselves noticed and maybe big up a bigger side up here or down South (see Obileye or Niuble for that matter). 

That's some name, that.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The English non League scene is certainly a potential source for players and one we've used relatively well in the last couple of years. We picked up Ayo Obileye and Nortei Nortey last season (& indirectly Izzy Jones). This year Josh Debayo, Udoka Chima and indirectly Roberto Nditi. Chima has been injured all season and Nortey was injured for a large portion of last year but the others have done pretty well. Obileye played every game and got himself a move into the Premiership. Izzy Jones granted had already been picked up by Middlesbrough but he was an absolute star and thats showing now with him English Championship Player of the Month for December. Josh Debayo and Roberto Nditi have played every game they've been fit for since signing. 

With defenders in particular in short supply in the Scottish game at the moment its a good source of players. From the players point of view it is a far higher profile place to play and if young and no ties down South they can get themselves noticed and maybe pick up a bigger side up here or down South (see Obileye or Niuble for that matter). 

I think people tend to write off non-league players without a second thought but there are plenty of players who have served their time in the conference who have gone on to have very successful careers, non more-so than Jamie Vardy.

Not suggesting that every signing works out but it’s got to be worth a punt rather than scraping around for Scottish Prem Rejects.

1 hour ago, Ayr23 said:

Who we thinking? Lawrence Shankland, Jamie Adams and Michael Moffat?

The absence of John Doyle makes me uneasy about the Hall of Fame. Also Jimmy Smith who put Ayr United into the Guinness Book of Records. 

15 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

non more-so than Jamie Vardy.

Ian Wright was playing Sunday League before he turned pro.

Vardy definitely the most high-profile of late of course. There was a tremendous amount of hype about him while he was still at that level.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

The absence of John Doyle makes me uneasy about the Hall of Fame. Also Jimmy Smith who put Ayr United into the Guinness Book of Records. 

The problem is that Football has changed where players used to play for clubs for 4 or 5 years or longer compared to 3 years being "long serving" nowadays.

From my perspective it would seem ridiculous to have Jamie Adams as an example but not have the likes of Duncan George or Stevie Evans.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The problem is that Football has changed where players used to play for clubs for 4 or 5 years or longer compared to 3 years being "long serving" nowadays.

From my perspective it would seem ridiculous to have Jamie Adams as an example but not have the likes of Duncan George or Stevie Evans.

The 87-88 squad was inducted a few years ago, so Stevie Evans mk2 is already in it.

I quite like the idea that Glasgow Clan have, albeit they are very much in their infancy compared to us. They have their player of the season memorialised on a banner at one end of the stadium. Obviously I'm not asking for us to hang 112+ banners up around the ground. But, it could be the basis for parallel hall of fame to be able to recognise those with a decent chunk of service in the HoF and people who had a massive impact over a shorter time frame. Guys like Moffat for example might appear in both for example. 

Without having been in the hub so far, all I know is that we have a timeline around the walls, is there anything in there showing the HoF? 

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I quite like the idea that Glasgow Clan have, albeit they are very much in their infancy compared to us. They have their player of the season memorialised on a banner at one end of the stadium. Obviously I'm not asking for us to hang 112+ banners up around the ground. But, it could be the basis for parallel hall of fame to be able to recognise those with a decent chunk of service in the HoF and people who had a massive impact over a shorter time frame. Guys like Moffat for example might appear in both for example. 

Without having been in the hub so far, all I know is that we have a timeline around the walls, is there anything in there showing the HoF? 

Just KIT as far as I know............

Edited by WATTOO

Some kind of mural on the back wall.of the SRE would look good

21 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

This is the pitch in the pic on twitter, behinds  gondoh it looks absolutely fucked

Having the privilege of regularly walking round the park with the Strollers I can assure you the pitch is in the best condition it has been for years. I think what you are seeing in the goalmouth is some remedial work in progress.