The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I think you're right, however I don't see  how Dunfermline could be seen as a realistic prospect given the current shambles of their club both on and off the pitch. As for Thistle, if it was a panini sticker album surely McCall would have loads of "doublers" by now given the amount of players they seem to have !!

Are we expecting to keep him until the end of the season or could he still be gone in the next week or so ?

Irrespective, we're going to have to bring in at least 2 (3 if we lose him) quality Midfielders and at least one striker, all of which must be ready to walk straight into our starting 11 as opposed to just signing squad type guys who will be "fighting for a place".

Yesterday highlighted how short we are with no cover whatsoever in the centre of the pitch or up top and while I love to see our young guys being given a chance, I'd much rather we did it from a position of safety / comfort as opposed to the sink or swim type introduction where we're actually relying on them to produce immediately as that sort of pressure isn't really fair or good for their development I wouldn't think.

As an example, if Murdoch and / or Adeloye were to pick up any sort of injury then with our current squad we'd be royally screwed !!!

Considering there is no talk within the Ayr camp of him looking to leave surely we are currently in the driving seat , did Mathie not come out and say something about last week online and in the press that we are looking to keep him 

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think you're right, however I don't see  how Dunfermline could be seen as a realistic prospect given the current shambles of their club both on and off the pitch.

Dunfermline's wage bill will be far, far higher than Ayr's, as will Thistle's. This is commensurate with their much higher average gates and the existence of revenue streams that Ayr didn't have (at least until recently). A bit pointless getting mad at a spreadsheet.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think we’ll keep him tbh. I’d like to be proven wrong but I don’t see it.

I actually think Rangers will give him a new contract and leave him on loan here until seasons end.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I actually think Rangers will give him a new contract and leave him on loan here until seasons end.

The Patterson windfall will keep them happy for a while. Not that being solvent bothers them of course.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1111080230?-1042:776

no mention of Ayr here either

There’s every chance that if Duffy were still at the helm, James & his family would have already made the decision that Ayr United would not be his preferred destination. Hopefully with the appointment of Bullen and the progressive planning around the club, they now have a very different choice to make.

Being honest, James’ career belongs at a higher level than we can currently offer him but his dad’s affinity to the club might be able to trump other enquiries. His family obviously want the very best for him and as he’s so young, we can only hope that a regular spell of first team football under a new forward thinking coach which we can offer, might be enough to sway their decision in our favour.

Whatever decision they make, best of luck to the lad.

Bullen also made it sound like we’d be bringing in a striker despite Afolabi staying or going and hinted that if he went then that’s yet another forward player we’d have to bring in. At the minute we definitely need a midfielder, a wide player and someone who can play either along side or just in behind Adeloye. We’ll then have to replace any players we lose or decide to let go.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we see:

- A decent backroom team in place (next week)

- Maxwell staying until at least the end of the season. 

- At least three quality signings 

- Contract renewals for Reading, Adeloye, Murdoch, and Muirhead. 

I know Muirhead will be debated but he can play CB and RB competently at this level, as well as CM in a crisis - he is a very good utility player at this level. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

A strange "Exclusive" in today's Mail with James Maxwell, no mention of Ayr at all and it's all about "hoping" to get a new contract at Rangers but needs to "kick on" with the interested clubs quoted being Dunfermline and Thistle.

As I say, not one mention of Ayr or even the thought / chance of him staying here permanently was mentioned.

In the player's mind you'd like to think he'll be in pole position to notice the vast difference in positivity that's engulfed the club in the past week. If Duffy and Hopkin were still here then nobody could have any issues with him leaving at the earliest opportunity but they're long gone.

I'd still be hopeful that we'd be in with a decent shout of extending his stay until the end of the season and then take it from there to sign him permanently. The chat about Leeds being interested in him is another argument altogether.

In the present, he's got the chance to be a key player for us going forward. He only needs to look at Andy Murdoch to see how we can develop players here and then for them to get their chance at a higher level if they wish. Assuming the Bully revolution doesn't take him there first. 😉

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

A strange "Exclusive" in today's Mail with James Maxwell, no mention of Ayr at all and it's all about "hoping" to get a new contract at Rangers but needs to "kick on" with the interested clubs quoted being Dunfermline and Thistle.

As I say, not one mention of Ayr or even the thought / chance of him staying here permanently was mentioned.

Move him on to Dunfermline then. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

In the player's mind you'd like to think he'll be in pole position to notice the vast difference in positivity that's engulfed the club in the past week. If Duffy and Hopkin were still here then nobody could have any issues with him leaving at the earliest opportunity but they're long gone.

I'd still be hopeful that we'd be in with a decent shout of extending his stay until the end of the season and then take it from there to sign him permanently. The chat about Leeds being interested in him is another argument altogether.

In the present, he's got the chance to be a key player for us going forward. He only needs to look at Andy Murdoch to see how we can develop players here and then for them to get their chance at a higher level if they wish. Assuming the Bully revolution doesn't take him there first. 😉

I'd be pretty shocked and even disappointed in him if he chose to leave us for either Dunfermline or Partick, assuming of course that we were offering him a permanent deal.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Hopefully over the next few weeks we see:

- A decent backroom team in place (next week)

- Maxwell staying until at least the end of the season. 

- At least three quality signings 

I know Muirhead will be debated but he can play CB and RB competently at this level, as well as CM in a crisis - he is a very good utility player at this level. 

I’d like us to go down the route of PCA. It’s something I can never really remember us doing it. Raith done it  for a few players last year. Allows us to plan for next season . 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’d like us to go down the route of PCA. It’s something I can never really remember us doing it. Raith done it  for a few players last year. Allows us to plan for next season . 

Yeah, that was something I thought about adding. It’ll be something which will be much easier for us to do when we begin to show the progress we are making as a club, as the better players in this league wouldn’t contemplate signing a pre contract with us right now. We could definitely be looking at cherry picking players good players from those around us/better players in league one etc though. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, get these four secured.

No debate with Muirhead for me, he's effectively the Captain. You see him marshaling the team and barking out instructions. He always gives his all and actually gives a f**k. Even his celebrating at the end.

He's always one of first names on the team sheet for me. I'd still have him at centre back though.

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

No debate with Muirhead for me, he's effectively the Captain. You see him marshaling the team and barking out instructions. He always gives his all and actually gives a f**k. Even his celebrating at the end.

He's always one of first names on the team sheet for me. I'd still have him at centre back though.

Bang on here . 

Also Thistle and Pars must be looking to off load some players in this window . Would there be anyone we could bring in to improve our first 11 from these two’s cast offs .

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Muirhead yesterday (especially considering his fairly long lay-off) did an excellent job 'sitting' in front of the back four and closing off space as much as possible. He was obviously under instructions to do just that and wasn't a presence further up the park as a result. This meant a very tough shift for Murdoch and Chalmers which they managed well - it also meant the 3Ms up front (Maxwell, Moffat and Mackenzie) had to work very hard when we didn't have the ball in the opposition half in closing down as much as possible. Not certain we'll be able to employ those tactics too often as it meant we surrendered space and possession far too much for my liking. Bully was right in saying we didn't put our foot on the ball often enough in the second half but, for some of that, I'd credit Arbroath's midfield in being a more than useful collective - they fully deserve their lofty position at the top of the league so it's a fairly big consolation to me knowing they haven't managed to beat us (yet?) this season (and they'll miss Nouble if he does go back to Livingston). Finally, all that Ayr team must be fairly knackered today after the shift they all put in - enjoy your day with your feet up, lads - well deserved.          

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Definitely! He was excellent after such a long layoff. Showed at times that he isn’t good enough on the ball to play CM consistently, so yeah it would be defence for me too. 

32 minutes ago, North British said:

Bang on here . 

Also Thistle and Pars must be looking to off load some players in this window . Would there be anyone we could bring in to improve our first 11 from these two’s cast offs .

Discussed this with D’Jaffo on the Dunfermline thread. Dunfermline have a ridiculous quality of player sitting on their bench in Wighton, O’Hara and Todorov. 

17 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Muirhead yesterday (especially considering his fairly long lay-off) did an excellent job 'sitting' in front of the back four and closing off space as much as possible. He was obviously under instructions to do just that and wasn't a presence further up the park as a result. This meant a very tough shift for Murdoch and Chalmers which they managed well - it also meant the 3Ms up front (Maxwell, Moffat and Mackenzie) had to work very hard when we didn't have the ball in the opposition half in closing down as much as possible. Not certain we'll be able to employ those tactics too often as it meant we surrendered space and possession far too much for my liking. Bully was right in saying we didn't put our foot on the ball often enough in the second half but, for some of that, I'd credit Arbroath's midfield in being a more than useful collective - they fully deserve their lofty position at the top of the league so it's a fairly big consolation to me knowing they haven't managed to beat us (yet?) this season (and they'll miss Nouble if he does go back to Livingston). Finally, all that Ayr team must be fairly knackered today after the shift they all put in - enjoy your day with your feet up, lads - well deserved.          

Moment which epitomised Muirhead’s performance was a fantastic sliding challenge on Nouble, just as he was beginning to get up to speed and charge towards our defence.