The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I'm not so bothered by Callum's interviews, Mathie etc largely talk about what they want to rather than simply answering the questions, it's only the commentary that gets me, he makes me feel really anxious.  You can still hear him on the pixellot occasionally shouting into the void as the ball trundles out for a throw in.  

I generally canny go any commentators at all and think they take away from the game usually by not just describing events, should be mandatory to offer no commentary on TV and streams.  Fitba vampires. 

Totally agree 100 %, after actually watching the interviews which I should have done before posting (my apologies) I found them decent, commentary and awful analysis however are dreadful, but it's not just Callum to blame 

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

He was miles worse. 

Aye, they were both rancid.

However, given the disparity of resources and their relative experience when taking the Ayr job - I think a case can be made that Hopkin performed worse. It was shorter so maybe doesn't feel as bad as Roberts when looking back but it was still fucking rancid.

Anyway in Bully we trust now.

20 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

He was miles worse. 

Again and I hate to continually agree with itzdark but Hopkin was on a different planet worse than Roberts budget miles bigger, signing policy as bad as anyone before, style of play ridiculously bad, total disengagement with supporters.......worst manager I can ever remember 

Watched the three interviews there. Was probably most encouraged by the Smith interview as t seems there is more to come. Whilst the fans expectations are for next week finding the correct people takes a lot longer. It appears the club structure is in place now and these people can start to build their own areas up. 

Bullen comes from a club where the set up is a proper business and a lot more advanced than much of the scottish game. Should bring a lot of ideas and experience to change things. For me the question is where the line stops between a head coach and manager. Mathie initially tried to say they were different but later on it was the same thing. On the coaching side Bullen would be qualified but throw in some of the managerial stuff and it's a punt.  Probably Mathie will pick up a lot of the slack and Bullen mainly the public face.

An interesting appointment anyway and certainly worth a try. The alternative was a recycled manager from the list of usual suspects.  Having several people with different jobs providing input near the pitch should lessen the chances of a disaster like the previous few managers 

54 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Hopkin won two matches, one of which was against an Elgin side playing their first match for two months. At least Roberts managed to get to a play-off.

The problem with Roberts was he was kept way longer than he should have, and was given a new deal when he should have been binned.

3 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

And Duffy nearly as bad, double whammy of shite 

Did Duffy genuinely ever want the job or was he just stepping up in a difficult position to help out? Doesn't change the performances or results but might think a bit better of him as it was a shite situation all round tbf 

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Did Duffy genuinely ever want the job or was he just stepping up in a difficult position to help out? Doesn't change the performances or results but might think a bit better of him as it was a shite situation all round tbf 

I never got the impression he was ever fully committed to the job.

If he didn't want it he shouldn't have taken it, I was at Firhhill after the appointment as was astonished how utterly clueless we looked, he was a centre half himself who allegedly is rated as being able to organise defences ours actually looked worse under him than Hopkin, no attacking intent like Hopkin and refusal to properly play Bradley did it for me......he was garbage 

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The problem with Roberts was he was kept way longer than he should have, and was given a new deal when he should have been binned.

The problem I had with Roberts, being a player/manager, was the same problem I had with Mark Kerr. If it didn't work with Roberts, why would it work for Kerr?

It was obviously a cheaper option on both occasions. I would say Hopkin was worse than both as the recruitment from his former team and his Hoofball tactics, has left us at the wrong end of the championship table. At least we could see what Kerr was trying to do and Roberts, although 99% shite, just ran out of ideas towards the end of his reign.

The kerr appointment like Robert's Robert's and Reid was the typical Cameron cheap option he did it continually, appointed Kerr and saved a fortune, Smith in a recent interview whilst not blaming Cameron stated the club was getting run down/back financially, I actually think McCall caught Cameron out, I think he was getting a hasbeen who would just be glad of a gig, when he showed his desire and ability it changed the club, tensions developed when he continually asked for more money realising he could get us up to the Top league, when those tensions occurred they had a far bigger impact than wanting to go back to Thistle, he knew under the last regime he couldn't get promoted. 

I really enjoyed the interviews. It’s great to see that there seems to be real long term planning. Smith has obviously been working on the bigger picture, unfortunately he didn’t have a manager who could steady the ship until plans started to bear fruit. We saw how quickly things fell apart after McCall left. Hopefully we are seeing something being built that is not 100% relying on one man and the systems and infrastructure being put in place can carry us through.

10 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

If he didn't want it he shouldn't have taken it, I was at Firhhill after the appointment as was astonished how utterly clueless we looked, he was a centre half himself who allegedly is rated as being able to organise defences ours actually looked worse under him than Hopkin, no attacking intent like Hopkin and refusal to properly play Bradley did it for me......he was garbage 

There is a difference between someone wanting it to rebuilding their career or stepping up to help out until the end of season. Whilst he wasn't very good you can also only pish with the cock you are given