The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Love a left field appointment, by the sounds of it he should slot in nicely working with White as well to bring our own through. 

The headlines will be decent as well, will be gutted if we don't see "Bullseye" at some point.

The Scottish Championship outfit were the subject of a takeover a year ago and are now looking to push for promotion to the Premiership after avoiding relegation last time out.

I think I'd settle for "avoiding relegation" this time as well !!

It's something different, something that nobody predicted. I'm in. 

He's been trusted to have 3 separate stints as Caretaker manager at Sheffield Wednesday when they were an English Championship team. That's a huge step up compared to where we are. They're a huge club in their own right. I went to a game, three seasons ago I think it was, against Villa. Their stadium would put the majority up here to shame. A massive club. 

That he's been at the club as a player and coach for that long speaks volumes, that he perhaps seeing us as his first full time job as a manager in his own right is something to definitely be excited about. 

As he's been their u23 coach for so long, he'll be well versed in developing young players as well. 

A no nonsense, whole hearted player back in the day, Im sure he'll make the same demands of the teams he manages. 

Every appointment's a risk but I'm really encouraged by this one. He'll be well connected from his time down South and respected up here as well I'm sure. 

I like the direction this strong rumour would indicate we're looking to go in. 

Sounded out my Owl-supporting colleagues and they like him a lot. Did well as interim head coach and seems to get the best out of players. The club owner at Hillsborough seems a bit of a crackpot and has caused all sorts of problems.  See their relegation last year for details! Wednesday are struggling and they see Bullen wanting out as a sign of how bad things are at the club. They think this is a good move for Ayr. Get it done, Mathie!

Space goat as his No.2? Played together at Sheffield Wednesday although not sure if JP was interested in coaching as I seem to remember he was running a cafe when he was with us. Either him or Ross Wallace who is currently a youth coach at Burnley so he can bring a couple of players with him.

Also based on Bullen's youtube channel the team might want to brush up on the vocals https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxBApdKDgPHDpHhnhWIWI4w 

19 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

The headlines will be decent as well, will be gutted if we don't see "Bullseye" at some point

I love that. Bullen comes in an saves Ayr from Relegation and gets us a better position next season.....

....whilst we laugh at Kilmarnock throwing the league away this year.

*'Lets take a look at what you coulda won!'*

IMG_20220104_211257.jpg

Edited by Roxanne's man

7 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Space goat as his No.2? Played together at Sheffield Wednesday although not sure if JP was interested in coaching as I seem to remember he was running a cafe when he was with us. Either him or Ross Wallace who is currently a youth coach at Burnley so he can bring a couple of players with him.

Also based on Bullen's youtube channel the team might want to brush up on the vocals https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxBApdKDgPHDpHhnhWIWI4w 

Also part of that Wednesday promotion team in 2005 was Paul Heckingbottom who managed Hibs in 2019. Wonder if Mathie spoke to him about Bullen, especially as he is now in charge of Sheffield United!

I live in Sheffield and with me being a Wednesday and and Ayr supporter I'd be delighted if this did happen. Bullen is classed as a club legend down here. He played in every position for the club including GK.  Comes across as a really top top bloke and speaks well in interviews. Bumped into him once in the street and had the time to chat and I've seen similar stories over the years. Fingers crossed it does happen as I think he would be a good fit.

Be interesting to see what his knowledge of the game is up here I.e how other teams play and what players to look out for. Can see him bringing in people he knows that have spent more time coaching up here to help counteract that. He’s going to have a really hard game on Saturday but after that we go on a wee run of playing the teams around us and they are pretty much all games that we need to be winning. If we can go into the derby with a good run, a few new signings and beat them then this guy is going to be off to a flyer with the fans and will have built up a fair bit of goodwill for the rest of the season.

This guy seems to be the real deal and fits exactly what we are looking for and will cost money and mean we will spend a bit in January, really hope this comes off and it’s not another wild claim. If it does then it fits with the spending we have already done so the board have turned up big time. 

15 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Guy sounds amazing. Does he know much about the current game up here?

He probably knows more than you would expect, teams down south will keep a close eye on the top couple of divisions up here especially for young players who they can snap up cheap. Given that he was involved in the youth development at a Championship club he’ll know enough I would guess.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

It's something different, something that nobody predicted. I'm in. 

Yes, I agree. I have tried quite hard to find any negative comments about him online and I came up with nothing. Everyone seems to think he is a good leader and has done what has been asked of him as a coach.

Definitely positive to see that we've obviously sought out someone to fit the role and what the board think we need, rather than jumping on the usual Scottish manager merry-go-round. Certainly nobody can say the board have taken the easy or cheap option this time.