The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If we controlled games (like we used to do and like we did against Raith) and closed down higher up the park then that cuts down on the amount of easy possession that the opposition gets and the amount of free hits at lobbing balls towards our penalty box.

Our defence looked perfectly competent against Raith including McGinty.

The first part is true but if you can't defend high balls you'll still concede from set plays. I agree that closing down higher up the park is the way to play but I was disputing your point that the defense is okay. Its really not.

I hope the Raith game is the panacea for all our defensive ills but I don't think it is. The deficiencies are still there and one good game doesn't remedy them.

It also doesn't turn McGinty into something resembling a competent footballer. He really isn't up to this level. He's already demonstrated that with being soley responsible for close to double figures of goals conceded. Whether its refusing to use his right foot, stepping out the way of the ball, falling over himself or losing his man. He is comfortably the worst centre half I seen play for us at this level.

I’m coming round to the idea that all three of our loans are going back to their clubs and Ayr are going to use that finance to bring in the 2/3 players mentioned . I’d say a second striker that can actually contribute some goals will be one of the 2/3 . If not McKenzie should get a decent run at the position supported by Moff . Then we have to be talking a central midfielder to work with Murdy or two if Murdy is going out to the right . Maybe the left centre half issue can hold until May ..

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If we controlled games (like we used to do and like we did against Raith) and closed down higher up the park then that cuts down on the amount of easy possession that the opposition gets and the amount of free hits at lobbing balls towards our penalty box.

Raith offered nothing in the final third, so I wouldn’t start thinking be is competent. He was generally fine, but still lost numerous headers due to his inability to challenge for headers. 

He isn’t good enough, and if we want to ensure survival he can’t be playing in the second half of the season. 

If we want to improve, we also need a centre half who is capable of doing more than just kicking the ball in the general direction they are facing. 

I hate saying it and it might be down to how we've played, however Moff has arguably done even less than the likes of Afolabi when given a chance and definitely looks well past it at this level now.

If I was being totally honest and ruthless, I'd be hunting Salkeld, Moffat, Afolabi, at least one of Fjortoft or McGinty (both if suitable replacements could be found) and I'd also be far from upset if Houston declined a new deal. Chalmers still has much to prove and is another I'd be happy enough if he went.

Whatever happens we now need 4 in at a minimum to replace Maxwell and Bradley plus 2 others. If we lose Afolabi then that would mean we'd have lost 2 midfielders and a striker where we were already short in both departments, hence the reason I don't see CH as a major priority at the moment.

20 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

I don’t think I’ve seen such tall defenders be so 💩 in the air when a ball is crossed into our box. The new coach is going to have to do plenty of defensive drills when he arrives. 

Kevin James is the only one I can think of who may have been worse. The guy used to jump in half.

10 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Just a thought here. As jack Ross was sacked he may have a clause where he is not allowed to sign for anyone till the end of the season. Could negotiating with hibs to allow him to sign be what we are waiting on? 

I know it’s unlikely but let me dream 

He applied for the Killie job..

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

We've scored 1 goal in our last 6 and it came from the penalty spot. Not sure I'd base any defensive competency on playing Raith just now although probably good for boosting the confidence of your defence.

We've scored 1 goal in our last 6 and it came from the penalty spot. Not sure I'd base any defensive competency on playing Raith just now although probably good for boosting the confidence of your defence.

Given how much our defence likes to gift chances and very soft goals to teams, the fact that we came through that game with McAdams having very little to do was huge for us. The next manager needs to make so the defence can simply do the basics and take some pressure off the rest of the team.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No he didn’t

This…

I’m sure i read that he still stays in NE England and sees his next job down there

If he applied I’m sure he would have had interview, but was not on list of interviewees leaked last night..

34 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Could negotiating with hibs to allow him to sign be what we are waiting on? 

Seeing as he still had 2 1/2 years on his Hibs deal, chances are he is still on their payroll since being relieved of his duties (gardening leave rather than instant payoff).

You'd be negotiating to cover a significant chunk of said payoff then.

If you are in such a negotiation, there's more chance it's with Morton for Gus MacPherson than it is with Hibs for Ross.

This…
I’m sure i read that he still stays in NE England and sees his next job down there
If he applied I’m sure he would have had interview, but was not on list of interviewees leaked last night..

Aye his reputation isn’t such where he needs to drop down to our level. I’m surprised at McInnes taking the job tbh but clearly the job offers haven’t been there since leaving Aberdeen.

17 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Doesn’t look like anything happening today then 

Given the statement released by the club last night I think it’ll be after Saturday before any announcement is made or if there is an announcement before then it’ll still be White, Tommy Tait and Thommo in charge for Saturday.