The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don't think we're going to be punting anyone in January, looking at you Morton mingers. Usually when a new manager comes in it's clean slate, everyone gets a chance etc.

It may not come down to him. Mathie might have to make the case that if you want 4-5 new players in we will have to move a few on.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

It may not come down to him. Mathie might have to make the case that if you want 4-5 new players in we will have to move a few on.

but then you have to find someone to take them, or pay them off, and that doesn't sit well with me. Especially if they are on a good wage they ain't getting that anywhere else.

Well that’s how you do it Mr Mathie Raith showing the way two players who would have walked in to our team signed and one out to Hibs, miles ahead of the game Mcglynn, he’s been scouting the young talent throughout Scotland previously for Celtic and the next one to get a premier league club will be Nathan Ross watch this space.

Surely they know who they want in the job by now and have identified 2/3 who will improve the team.

but then you have to find someone to take them, or pay them off, and that doesn't sit well with me. Especially if they are on a good wage they ain't getting that anywhere else.

The only contracted players that I’d want fully shipped of are McGinty and Salkeld. There will always be someone stupid enough to take a punt on them. Even loaning them out with a club paying a % of their wage would do. Hopefully Afolabi can be sent back to Celtic and I’d like to see McAllister get a loan move to a league one club. I think he’s got a chance but he needs playing time where he can get a bit of form and then a good coach to help him improve.

If all else fails we may have to just pay a couple players off in order to get them to leave.

Well that’s how you do it Mr Mathie Raith showing the way two players who would have walked in to our team signed and one out to Hibs, miles ahead of the game Mcglynn, he’s been scouting the young talent throughout Scotland previously for Celtic and the next one to get a premier league club will be Nathan Ross watch this space.
Surely they know who they want in the job by now and have identified 2/3 who will improve the team.

Even without a coach, we’ll have identified players that we want and will probably be speaking to them. I’d imagine we’ll be focusing on trying to get Maxwell tied up and from then the priority is a midfielder and a wide player.

12 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Quite a few players in January will step down a level with a view to getting a regular start and the chance of a contract for next season. We may also take similar players from teams above ourselves and with some balancing of the books everyone benefits

21 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

John Mcglynn consistently eyes talent throughout the season and I think Stanton could be a very good signing , in John Hughes preview for tomorrow he acknowledged he tried to sign Stanton for Ross county but missed out and I feel luckily we have now got him , Like the Rovers all the teams are looking at the same players so I think it’s first off the mark in the window

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even without a coach, we’ll have identified players that we want and will probably be speaking to them. I’d imagine we’ll be focusing on trying to get Maxwell tied up and from then the priority is a midfielder and a wide player.

Aye, we are firefighting at the moment. 

Glendinning is just in the door, and Mathie has been dealing with the head coach issue as well as attempting to ensure both Bradley and Maxwell are still here for our next game. I imagine they’ll also want to discuss any new signing with the new head coach too - I imagine most players will also want to know which manager they are going to be playing for. 

ETA: the Houston situation too. 

Edited by No_Problemo

On 31/12/2021 at 13:18, No_Problemo said:

I don’t really buy that Livingston suddenly wanted to keep Bartley so much, that he was offered a route to the management job tbh. It seems a bit reactionary. If Bartley was being groomed to take over from Martindale, you would imagine that process was already in place and not prompted by an interview elsewhere. 

You never know though, I guess!

I would imagine, despite having no insider knowledge, that's the plan for us. He maybe wanted to hear Ayr out but if he's got a ready made route into Premiership management then I doubt he'd walk away from it for Championship management now. All that is based on us staying up to be fair though...

Gogic told he can leave Hibs with the management  connections we have I would expect us to be in for him surely

He’s going to either Ross County or St Mirren. Doubt we’d be able to afford him anyway.

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I would imagine, despite having no insider knowledge, that's the plan for us. He maybe wanted to hear Ayr out but if he's got a ready made route into Premiership management then I doubt he'd walk away from it for Championship management now. All that is based on us staying up to be fair though...

Is there any particular reason why Martindale would want to revert back to a DOF style role again? It just seems a bit strange, given his journey to become manager. 

Genuinely interested!

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is there any particular reason why Martindale would want to revert back to a DOF style role again? It just seems a bit strange, given his journey to become manager. 

Genuinely interested!

I'm not entirely sure it was something he was aiming for. He was happy in the Assistant/Head of Footballing Operations role, but when Holt stood aside it was a pretty universal thing from the fans to want him in charge. Our CEO, John Ward also wanted the same. He tried to offer him the job apparently after Kenny Miller and Martindale turned it down as he didn't want to bring 'bad press' on Livi due to his past. 

Martindale has been pretty vocal in the past as well about managers having 'shelf lives' at clubs. He feels like after 2 years managers somewhat 'expire' at clubs and are less effective. He's over a year into his deal as manager here so far so it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine him stepping down at the end of the season to take up DoF job in an official capacity now that he's been cleared by the SFA etc to be involved with us at a higher capacity. 

He's made it really clear that he's not interested in moving to another club or playing the manager game of working his way up. He sees his long term future at Livi. He's already turned down bigger clubs to stay with us, Hopkin tried to take him down to Bradford as his assistant after leaving us and he rejected them to stay with us. I think he's planning on a long term future with us and is realistic in knowing it likely wont all be as a manager given how hard it is to stay in a job long term. 

Even if his job title is DoF/Manager/Assistant or whatever he seems to just do everything around the club. He built the club's gym and does random jobs around the stadium - think he even was involved in the full redevelopment of the dressing rooms as well. One day I walked past the stadium and just saw him painting doors for whatever reason :D

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm not entirely sure it was something he was aiming for. He was happy in the Assistant/Head of Footballing Operations role, but when Holt stood aside it was a pretty universal thing from the fans to want him in charge. Our CEO, John Ward also wanted the same. He tried to offer him the job apparently after Kenny Miller and Martindale turned it down as he didn't want to bring 'bad press' on Livi due to his past. 

Martindale has been pretty vocal in the past as well about managers having 'shelf lives' at clubs. He feels like after 2 years managers somewhat 'expire' at clubs and are less effective. He's over a year into his deal as manager here so far so it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine him stepping down at the end of the season to take up DoF job in an official capacity now that he's been cleared by the SFA etc to be involved with us at a higher capacity. 

He's made it really clear that he's not interested in moving to another club or playing the manager game of working his way up. He sees his long term future at Livi. He's already turned down bigger clubs to stay with us, Hopkin tried to take him down to Bradford as his assistant after leaving us and he rejected them to stay with us. I think he's planning on a long term future with us and is realistic in knowing it likely wont all be as a manager given how hard it is to stay in a job long term. 

Even if his job title is DoF/Manager/Assistant or whatever he seems to just do everything around the club. He built the club's gym and does random jobs around the stadium - think he even was involved in the full redevelopment of the dressing rooms as well. One day I walked past the stadium and just saw him painting doors for whatever reason :D

Not following Hopkin may just have been because Martindale was aware he was an utter moron! Love that the manager is pitching in with building projects. 

Thanks for the context - that makes more sense. At the same time though - Bartley could be a very risky appointment, though that lessens the more responsibility  Martindale gives him I guess. 

48 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Gogic told he can leave Hibs with the management  connections we have I would expect us to be in for him surely

So would I. This is exactly the type of signing we should be looking at . The four we need have to be in this caliber if we are to move forward with any kind of pace ..