The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Hope they do it like they do in I’m a celebrity. Get all candidates in the boardroom. Martin Canning? it’s not you. Jack Ross? it might be you. 

Or go down the Squid Game route? Would make great telly watching dinosaur managers bite the dust one by one.

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

A few Livingston fans seemed sure he’d be moving up to a DOF role in the near future and that Bartley would be seen as his replacement. I was all for Bartley being our next manager. Thought he’d have done well.

Martindale has been the de facto 'Director of Football' at Livingston for about 4 years even if not actually using the title. He was Director of Football even whilst being assistant to Holt and Hopkin. He runs that club. It doesn't really matter what title he gives himself. I guess the question will be does he value Bartley enough to give him the Manager title for himself and let him pick the team. And more importantly would Davie be happy enough not in the dugout at matches.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

There was a Mark Canning who came through at Kilmarnock then bounced around a few lower league clubs before ending up in the Juniors.

Anyway, Martin Canning would be an interesting appointment for fans of every other club. It would be good to see if scraping to 30-35 points and hoping another club would be an even bigger shambles would be the limit of his abilities everywhere he went, or if he actually could take a team like Ayr comfortably into mid-table suggesting he can perform to par with a side. If he did that you could use it to retrospectively argue that he was actually performing to par all along by keeping Hamilton up, rather than them surviving in spite of him when they could have been doing much better.

I'd have been livid if we'd appointed him though. Let someone else be the guinea pigs for that, because all the evidence suggests he's an irredeemably shite manager. At least Hopkin and Duffy had some successes in their past and you can see why a board could be led into thinking they were sensible appointments despite their failures. Canning only has failure.

It was Martyn Corrigan I was getting him mixed up with. 

Martindale has been the de facto 'Director of Football' at Livingston for about 4 years even if not actually using the title. He was Director of Football even whilst being assistant to Holt and Hopkin. He runs that club. It doesn't really matter what title he gives himself. I guess the question will be does he value Bartley enough to give him the Manager title for himself and let him pick the team. And more importantly would Davie be happy enough not in the dugout at matches.

Aye I know. I’m not saying what’s been said is gospel and it seems a strange move for Martindale to move back to a job he was already doing (although I think being a DOF would see him have more responsibilities than before) but who knows…

All I’m confident on is that Marvin Bartley won’t be our next manager unless the tip off I got was untrue.

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I know. I’m not saying what’s been said is gospel and it seems a strange move for Martindale to move back to a job he was already doing (although I think being a DOF would see him have more responsibilities than before) but who knows…

All I’m confident on is that Marvin Bartley won’t be our next manager unless the tip off I got was untrue.

I hope it was untrue tbh

So to boil all the information down . It was a four horse race and everyone’s first choice including mine , Marvin Barkley has been pulled from the race . We’re left with Celtic U18 coach Stephen McManus , Ex Accies manager Martin Canning and a yet to be named mystery candidate . I have to say I’d prefer McManus than Canning . However the mystery guy might trump both of them . Somebody must know who it is ? Also if it was indeed Canning who’s been chosen why not just announce it , it would be a no strings appointment. West coast guy with no job currently. I can see why a guy like McManus , currently employed , might need some strings untangled . 

McManus and Barkley are similar type candidates, the question would be is the mystery fellow in the rookie camp as well or are we talking about a player ? If he is a player then he couldn’t be announced until the transfer window open’s at midnight tonight ! Just a thought , but I guess we’ll have to wait until Monday now .

7 minutes ago, North British said:

So to boil all the information down . It was a four horse race and everyone’s first choice including mine , Marvin Barkley has been pulled from the race . We’re left with Celtic U18 coach Stephen McManus , Ex Accies manager Martin Canning and a yet to be named mystery candidate . I have to say I’d prefer McManus than Canning . However the mystery guy might trump both of them . Somebody must know who it is ? Also if it was indeed Canning who’s been chosen why not just announce it , it would be a no strings appointment. West coast guy with no job currently. I can see why a guy like McManus , currently employed , might need some strings untangled . 

McManus and Barkley are similar type candidates, the question would be is the mystery fellow in the rookie camp as well or are we talking about a player ? If he is a player then he couldn’t be announced until the transfer window open’s at midnight tonight ! Just a thought , but I guess we’ll have to wait until Monday now .

I’m pretty glad it’s not Bartley to be honest as you insist on calling him Barkley

Edited by ayrunitedfw

35 minutes ago, North British said:

The "mystery candidate" is Peter Grant.

11 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:
I’m pretty glad it’s not Bartley to be honest as you insist on calling him Barkley

It's a hard no for me on Bartley now,I can't go back to the Luke McCowan v Luke McGowan saga.

Pretty sure i've seen his name spelt like that on Sportscene this season

We could always just ask Hopkin and Duffy back but tell them that Mathie will be dealing with recruitment and tactics ??

At least that would provide some sort of continuity.

Better the Devil you know and all that.

10 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Yogi has confirmed that we've made an offer to James Maxwell. Any good?

Maybe if the boy learned to pass the ball, but at the moment he's mediocre.

He beats a man then tries to beat him again, losing the ball and ending up chasing it. Won't be too unhappy if he leaves.

Edited by Buckfast