The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Got a totally needless red card at Airdrie not long after coming on a sub - the only memory I have of him at Ayr.  We got pumped 3-0

He said on open goal that he had no intention of playing in that game but was brought on as a sub and tried to get sent off at the first opportunity. He did the same at Clyde but rather than get sent off, just sat down and said he felt sick, they rushed him to hospital. 

He also had a breakdown on the bus on the way back from a game, demanded the bus stop and he walked in to a field and started to cry. McCall sent Allan Forrest to get him. He's obviously got issues that he seems to be working through. 

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

He said on open goal that he had no intention of playing in that game but was brought on as a sub and tried to get sent off at the first opportunity. He did the same at Clyde but rather than get sent off, just sat down and said he felt sick, they rushed him to hospital. 

He also had a breakdown on the bus on the way back from a game, demanded the bus stop and he walked in to a field and started to cry. McCall sent Allan Forrest to get him. He's obviously got issues that he seems to be working through. 

Ironically he says he actually enjoyed his time at Ayr despite playing in constant pain. He talks up Devlin and Forrest quite often. 

As for Martin Canning..I better not hear we've appointed him while I'm at work today. The a work pc will be launched seaward if that happens. Probably with a shoe stuck in it. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your surely not appointing Canning? Be aswell keeping Duffy until the end of the season.

A total loser of a manager who lives on completely shitfesting Hamilton to safety a couple of times despite taking over a squad that could comfortably have finished much higher for a couple of years. He took over a Hamilton side sitting 3rd in the league in mid-January with 5 losses all season, and went on to lose his first 4 games, winless in 13. I don't think they ever even looked like finishing higher than 10th in any full season he was there. 

He then demolished that squad, which remember had been 3rd in January, and turned them into a total clownshoe outfit who pretty much survived the bottom two by either 1 point or goal difference every season as he couldn't spot a player to save himself.

His tactics consisteted of him trying to create a shitfest, hoofball, outfit, but being totally unable to do that so his sides were just camped deep and wide open.

A totally bizarre appointment which suggests absolutely no lessons have been learned after Hopkin or Duffy.

That was 6 years ago , he has been appointed in a coaching capacity at some big clubs in the last 6 years working on learning from his mistakes , I would think he will be in a much better position now to coach a club with the knowledge and experience he has picked up , 

6 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Ironically he says he actually enjoyed his time at Ayr despite playing in constant pain. He talks up Devlin and Forrest quite often. 

As for Martin Canning..I better not hear we've appointed him while I'm at work today. The a work pc will be launched seaward if that happens. Probably with a shoe stuck in it. 

Why ? Because of a poor season 6 years ago and he has done a power of coaching since to gain experience 

6 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Why ? Because of a poor season 6 years ago and he has done a power of coaching since to gain experience 

Just seems an utterly uninspiring choice who looks to be cut from the same Jurassic Park style of tactics as Hopkin was. 

When you look at the list he was one of the first names where you thought Nah surely we wouldn't be that daft again.

4 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Just seems an utterly uninspiring choice who looks to be cut from the same Jurassic Park style of tactics as Hopkin was. 

When you look at the list he was one of the first names where you thought Nah surely we wouldn't be that daft again.

I don’t think Mathie will appoint anyone he does not believe in with it being his first big appointment, don’t get that people don’t think he will have learned anything in the last 6 years , you don’t appoint someone into your business in what they achieved 6 years ago you tend to appoint on how they have done in last few years to see if they are in the way up or down 

Edited by Finlay21

11 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I don’t think Mathie will appoint anyone he does not believe in with it being his first big appointment, don’t get that people don’t think he will have learned anything in the last 6 years , you don’t appoint someone into your business in what they achieved 6 years ago you tend to appoint on how they have done in last few years to see if they are in the way up or down 

If he's viewed as someone who has learned a lot then it is just from those inside the game.

If you go to any club in this leagues new manager threads the comedy appointments suggested by other clubs fans are Canning and Rice. 

38 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

If he's viewed as someone who has learned a lot then it is just from those inside the game.

If you go to any club in this leagues new manager threads the comedy appointments suggested by other clubs fans are Canning and Rice. 

So you would rather go with what other fans say than with a guy who has had many years experience in making football decisions and an experienced manager says he would take him as his assistant if he was going to another club , do you think those fans have followed what he has done in the last 6 years , 

I am just playing devil’s advocate here , as I don’t even know if he will get the job , other guys were interviewed also , someone has just put a rumour on here saying it was him , 

Edited by Finlay21

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

So you would rather go with what other fans say than with a guy who has had many years experience in making football decisions and an experienced manager says he would take him as his assistant if he was going to another club , do you think those fans have followed what he has done in the last 6 years , 

I think there's a big difference between a proven coach having a guy as part of his team and that guy having final say on tactics, team selection, man management, being the face of a club and being responsible for results. But, as you say, Mathie has the credentials to be allowed the benefit of the doubt.

There would be a much shorter grace period, I imagine, for a coach the supporters see as having a track record of failure.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s impossible to say with any certainty what a team was going to achieve. Alex Neil is also one of the best managers they had and once he left they were never going to keep their run up. Would’ve likely fell away even if Neil stayed.

I'm not for a second saying they'd continue to fight for 3rd, but that was a great Hamilton side. He managed a winless run of 13 games straight off the bat with a team that had barely lost a game all season when all he had to do was keep it going.

No idea if that scarred him but you'll genuinely never such cowardly tactics as what he then put for years with Hamilton. They literally never had a go at a single club afterwards, and I include some cup losses to absolute dross in that.

Sit deep. Kick long. Pray.

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

That was 6 years ago , he has been appointed in a coaching capacity at some big clubs in the last 6 years working on learning from his mistakes , I would think he will be in a much better position now to coach a club with the knowledge and experience he has picked up , 

Yeah I've no idea why you're bringing up his "great coaching experiences" since leaving Hamilton, considering the last 3 years have been spent coaching kids at (and I'm not making this name up) North Kelvin United. The rest was spending one or two days watching teams train before he's away back home. If you've hired him on the basis he's been coaching at Real Betis and Leicester then you've got that one really, really, wrong and been absolutely duped if he's claimed that.

Edited by RandomGuy.