The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Canning is one who if it was a straight up manager appointment like Kerr, Hopkin or Duffy I'd have ran a mile at.  As it is, whether its him (or anyone else) I'm 100% on board simply cos I'm quite excited to see how this new avenue we are going down works out.  It's 99% always going to be someone with zero experience or someone who has failed as a manger (for a club at our level to be appointing)

Edited by Hursty

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He got an interview after McCall left I think.

Yeah, I think there was 5 that made it to the interview stage, albeit the choices weren't particularly strong back then.  

It worries me as he hasn't had a job since Hamilton.

I think I said this at the time but Mathie has played a blinder in his first couple interviews. He’s instilled such a confidence in the fan base that no matter who we appoint will have a certain amount of backing just because we’ve bought into Mathies plan.

If it is Canning then all we’re really looking for is him to get the best out of the players he has. He did this to a certain extent at Accies I suppose although I’d be hoping he doesn’t resort to dull, defensive football.

Yeah, I think there was 5 that made it to the interview stage, albeit the choices weren't particularly strong back then.  
"Since departing Hamilton, Canning has been at Real Betis, Celtic, Leicester City, Preston, Aberdeen and Sunderland to assist with coaching" quickly checks Betis reserve team to see what Spanish teenage superstar we are getting on loan.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Canning might not be the most exciting appointment in the world but in a role of head coach, he might just work out for us.

Theres a few others I’d have before him right enough.

If it was to be him , his experience would be an advantage , not many coaches will have had this experience recently   I am in no way saying it’s him , just looking at some of the names put forward experience 

Since departing Hamilton, Canning has been at Real Betis, Celtic, Leicester City, Preston, Aberdeen and Sunderland to assist with coaching.[19]

He had a piece in the paper that the reason he hasn’t actually had a role since Accies is because he doesn’t put himself out there enough. Rarely applies for vacancies and doesn’t go on media shows to talk himself up. Neil Lennon said he has to start doing this or he’ll quickly be forgotten about. I wonder if the new guy from Accies will have recommended him.

19 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

led to believe 3 people fit the criteria to be our head coach , mostly through Mathie’s connections , and he is happy that the chosen guy has the attributes to deliver the next stage of the clubs 5 year plan ( now 4 years ) 

The chosen one? Is it a done deal then? 

Edited by United1973

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

If it is Canning then all we’re really looking for is him to get the best out of the players he has. He did this to a certain extent at Accies I suppose although I’d be hoping he doesn’t resort to dull, defensive football.

Can't wait to rack up 28 points per season.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:
3 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

"Since departing Hamilton, Canning has been at Real Betis, Celtic, Leicester City, Preston, Aberdeen and Sunderland to assist with coaching" quickly checks Betis reserve team to see what Spanish teenage superstar we are getting on loan.

Actually didn't know that, fair enough his coaching career does look well established. 

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

In case you have not noticed we are not a small club in the top league which to be fair Hamilton we’re every season and managed to stay there for a long time , nothing confirmed about him coming to Ayr , most people me included are just going by rumours being posted 

Edited by Finlay21

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Ultimately he kept Hamilton up two years in a row, which isn’t a bad achievement...

We really need Hamilton fans to give us more of an insight though. 

The Accies fans that I know despise him.

Think Hopkin with us and multiply the seethe by about 10.

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

If he can get us 28 points in the Premier League then get the sack I'd be quite happy (if it's him of course.  I'd be delighted if whoever it is can manage that)

Edited by Hursty

1 minute ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Going by what I've read up on him, Canning has been busy visiting pretty high standard clubs to assist with coaching whilst doing his Pro Licence I think. Also saw an article where Alex Neil says he plans to have him in his team at the next job he gets.

Really need a Hamilton supporters opinion on him as his statistics arent exactly filling me with hope

If its him, fair enough. the big reveal is surely getting closer