The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This

Clubs at our level don’t get nice surprises. We get things like David Hopkin and Jim Duffy.

I too, am worried we end up with a Rice or McIntyre appointment. It would be nice to announce someone where we think he might actually do okay. Haven’t had that since McCall joined.

Again, I'm biased but I'm not sure I quite "get" all the fear for Jim McIntyre and I'm genuinely surprised he's not back in management by now if he wants to be. Dundee was a car crash for him obviously. It was entirely the wrong club for him to go to with his history and the writing was on the wall as soon as they prevented him taking Billy Dodds in with him. But his record otherwise is pretty good. Got Dunfermline promoted and generally most of their fans seem to like him. Did fine with us in his one full season, took the team to 4th and into the playoffs and most of his player moves, even the ones fans strongly objected to, ended up being proven right, though he's still unpopular among many of our support. Won the League Cup at Ross County and saved them from relegation, though, like most managers, it eventually went wrong. All managers have a sacking on their CV somewhere though.

I'm sure many of our fans wouldn't give him a chance if he returned to us but if we needed a manager I'd be happy to see Jim McIntyre back. Ayr could do a lot worse.

Again, I'm biased but I'm not sure I quite "get" all the fear for Jim McIntyre and I'm genuinely surprised he's not back in management by now if he wants to be. Dundee was a car crash for him obviously. It was entirely the wrong club for him to go to with his history and the writing was on the wall as soon as they prevented him taking Billy Dodds in with him. But his record otherwise is pretty good. Got Dunfermline promoted and generally most of their fans seem to like him. Did fine with us in his one full season, took the team to 4th and into the playoffs and most of his player moves, even the ones fans strongly objected to, ended up being proven right, though he's still unpopular among many of our support. Won the League Cup at Ross County and saved them from relegation, though, like most managers, it eventually went wrong. All managers have a sacking on their CV somewhere though.
I'm sure many of our fans wouldn't give him a chance if he returned to us but if we needed a manager I'd be happy to see Jim McIntyre back. Ayr could do a lot worse.
I don't see McIntyre being interested in the current set up with a director of football and a head of recruitment he seams to be a guy who needs to make all the decisions.

35 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've got to agree, I find it bizarre that McIntyre is being portrayed as some sort of joke figure / disaster, yet Murray is being widely lauded as the ideal candidate.

I can only assume that I must be missing something.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I've got to agree, I find it bizarre that McIntyre is being portrayed as some sort of joke figure / disaster, yet Murray is being widely lauded as the ideal candidate.

I can only assume that I must be missing something.

Don’t think your missing anything- I don’t want either. 

if it’s not Bartley- McManus would be my choice. As I said earlier I’d love Ross but I’m being realistic 

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Mathie seems to be on the ball and knows his stuff, so I'm willing to trust that he'll get us a good appointment irrespective of what we all think.

I think we will find out soon ,led to believe talks are finished and contracts are being drawn up , would think tomorrow or Monday 

58 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Again, I'm biased but I'm not sure I quite "get" all the fear for Jim McIntyre and I'm genuinely surprised he's not back in management by now

He's one of these managers where his assistant was rumoured to be the brains of the operation. Dodds wasn't at Dundee with him and seems to be doing an above average job at Inverness.  

No idea if that is the case. He's been interviewed by two different Ayr chairmen and been overlooked twice, he's also not been in the frame for any other job so there is either something wrong or hes shite at interviews. He's been away to long now from the game so I doubt he'll be not be back. 

Spoiler

Now I've said this, he'll be paraded tomorrow, scarf above head the lot. 

1 minute ago, wullieaufc said:

Would folk genuinely be happy if Peter Murphy or Ian Murray were to be announced?

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Ian Murray, yes. Peter Murphy, meh. 

I'm the opposite, Murray has flitted from bellow average to average his whole managerial career, he's managing a full time club in a mostly part time league and never troubled a championship race. He would be my definition of a Meh appointment. 

Murphy likes to play football and hasn't had a chance at managing full time yet.