The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Why are we so bad at set pieces? We never trouble the goalie from corners or free kicks. We'd be as well just passing out wide from freekicks and trying to cross it in. The header from Adeloye is the first time I can remember us actually troubling a goalie direct from a corner this season. We're even worse at defending them. These are things that should be worked on at training. What do we actually do at training? Play dodge ball? It would explain why our players seem to step off the opposition when they've got the ball.

The players are limited we all know that but we should be better organised. There is really no excuse for it.

One league win in 11 games now. Where is the next win coming from? Our next five games:

QoS (A); Raith (H); Partick (A); Killie (A) & Arbroath (H).

This takes us to January 8th and the way we are going I don't expect we'll win one.

We're a shambles on the field. An utter shambles.

jack-nicholson-rage.gif.ab9ce37914dd1aef71a7af9e8820f472.gif

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Why are we so bad at set pieces? We never trouble the goalie from corners or free kicks. We'd be as well just passing out wide from freekicks and trying to cross it in. The header from Adeloye is the first time I can remember us actually troubling a goalie direct from a corner this season. We're even worse at defending them. These are things that should be worked on at training. What do we actually do at training? Play dodge ball? It would explain why our players seem to step off the opposition when they've got the ball.

The players are limited we all know that but we should be better organised. There is really no excuse for it.

One league win in 11 games now. Where is the next win coming from? Our next five games:

QoS (A); Raith (H); Partick (A); Killie (A) & Arbroath (H).

This takes us to January 8th and the way we are going I don't expect we'll win one.

We're a shambles on the field. An utter shambles.

jack-nicholson-rage.gif.ab9ce37914dd1aef71a7af9e8820f472.gif

Even worse when you consider Jim Duffy was an uncompromising centre half in his playing days. His post match interview isn't exactly high on motivational in its delivery either. It just always seems so passive and downbeat.

Perhaps being so disappointed with this team gives you a strange take on things but I thought in spells we actually looked alright last night. Murdoch, Maxwell, Moffat and O'Connor gave us a presence and threat in the middle of the park and from out wide. 

When we got the ball down and played through midfield we looked alright. 

If Adeloye has a look up and plays in O'Connor we probably go on to win that game but he didn't. He's generally caught on his heels too often and doesn't link the play up well enough. At one point Easton miscontrolled the ball, fell over and got back up and Adeloye still couldn't get the ball from him. That's for him and the coaches to keep working on.

Defensively still nowhere near good enough, centre backs just content to launch big diagonals and we continue to sh!t the bed from crosses into our box. Accies not great either, a winnable game gone.

We do play some nice stuff at the sharp end when he actually plays our better players. His subs were random though. I'd have hooked Maxwell for Bradley if it had been me. It had to be one of the wide men to maintain the balance of the team and yet he takes off Moff. I think that's why I'm even more frustrated. Duffy constrains this team when we don't have a solid foundation to build on. I could understand it if the defence could actually defend high cross balls. However, they can't so let's just throw caution to the wind. We may as well.

Adeloye was a wee bit frustrating last night. There was another one where he should have followed the ball in, O'Connor crossed the ball right on the by line and into the 6 yard box. Tomi had given up on it, not expecting Daire to cross it. That being said Adeloye is our only option up top and he did score so maybe too harsh. With a bit more composure he could have had 2 or 3 goals. 

Our defence is too limited, had we actually scored a second I wouldn't have been surprised if they instantly shat the bed and conceded another.

There are positives from last night but 1 league win in 11 and none in the last 8 is criminally poor. Dumfries next week can be written off given how long it is since we won there. 

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We do play some nice stuff at the sharp end when he actually plays our better players. His subs were random though. I'd have hooked Maxwell for Bradley if it had been me. It had to be one of the wide men to maintain the balance of the team and yet he takes off Moff. I think that's why I'm even more frustrated. Duffy constrains this team when we don't have a solid foundation to build on. I could understand it if the defence could actually defend high cross balls. However, they can't so let's just throw caution to the wind. We may as well.

Adeloye was a wee bit frustrating last night. There was another one where he should have followed the ball in, O'Connor crossed the ball right on the by line and into the 6 yard box. Tomi had given up on it, not expecting Daire to cross it. That being said Adeloye is our only option up top and he did score so maybe too harsh. With a bit more composure he could have had 2 or 3 goals. 

Our defence is too limited, had we actually scored a second I wouldn't have been surprised if they instantly shat the bed and conceded another.

There are positives from last night but 1 league win in 11 and none in the last 8 is criminally poor. Dumfries next week can be written off given how long it is since we won there. 

Adeloye is a strange one. He isn’t far off having a one in two strike rate, frankly we would be utterly fucked without him. As you say though, he scored but was still poor last night. His hold up play isn’t as good as it was earlier in the season either - at times he was holding the ball in and rolling centre halves. He just seems to constantly lose out now. I’m honestly not sure what to think of him, but if he goes on and scores 14 goals for a dreadful team then other sides will be looking at him. 

Once we get our central midfielder in to replace McAllister then we will actually look okay middle to front. Moffat makes a huge difference in how we retain possession and get up the park - not like we have been calling it for weeks. At least the Afolabi experiment appears to be over, bringing Salkeld back was just shambolic. 

Personally, I would have subbed Reading for Bradley and moved Maxwell back. Reading was very very poor again last night (constantly giving it away, missing tackles etc) He had been good before that, so hopefully just a blip. 

ETA, is Tomi’s Instagram story “can’t please everybody” from last night aimed at the fans... I wonder why people might be unhappy at one win in ten!

Edited by No_Problemo

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Personally, I would have subbed Reading for Bradley and moved Maxwell back. Reading was very very poor again last night (constantly giving it away, missing tackles etc) He had been good before that, so hopefully just a blip. 

Good shout, I keep forgetting Maxwell is actually a left back. I can forgive Paddy as you say hopefully just a blip. 

Obviously if Adeloye’s finishing or decision making was better last night we’d have won that comfortably but at least he’s getting into those positions. There’s literally no-one else in the squad likely to have done so.

Hopefully he and Moff will develop a better understanding if given a few games together.

It is concerning though as to where our next win’s coming from. If we can’t beat an equally rancid Hamilton team at home with chances like that it’s difficult to see who we will beat!

58 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

When we got the ball down and played through midfield we looked alright. 

We just don't do that enough - for long spells in the first half we looked like we were playing a 7-0-3 formation.

I don't understand why Duffy is so unwilling to play Bradley from the start either.

Overall I thought the defence did look better (apart from the goal obviously) and we did create a lot more real chances than in previous weeks. But given how poor Hamilton were I don't think anyone at the club should be happy this morning.

13 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

What is the situation with Aaron Muirhead?  Not listed on preview as injured or sick? Looks like there maybe a fallout somewhere. Could be on his way in January. Anybody know?

The way this season is going, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised.

19 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

What is the situation with Aaron Muirhead?  Not listed on preview as injured or sick? Looks like there maybe a fallout somewhere. Could be on his way in January. Anybody know?

Yes , he has a knee injury , it happened in the Albion Rovers  game , limited training since that game , 

Edited by Finlay21

16 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if Mr McCall made a move . I’d be hugely disappointed , but McCall has form for this kind of move . If Cammy Smith came in the opposite direction it would ease the pain but realistically it’s more lightly to be a Ross McIver .

Big Tomi comes in for some stick and he really needed to do better last night . However if he was to finish the season with 15 goals he’ll be hard to hold onto . Hopefully he stays for another season and improves like Rose , Harvie etc all did in their second season . The fact he’s not cup tied makes me a bit suspicious. Again he might be an asset to be traded for the greater good . Hope not though , we are developing a habit of letting our top goal scorers walk season on season : Shankland , Forrest , McCowan ......

On the Bradley substitution , it had to be McAlister hooked and Maxwell moved into left central midfield , but I get it that Reading was struggling . Incidentally I though Houston had a very solid game .

Our window priority’s have to be left centre half , 2 x experienced  midfielders and a new striker ,either at no 9 or no 10 ....If we are ambitious and aggressive in the market we should be ok . If we go down the youth loans path we struggle somewhat ....

8 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

On the bright side, Hamilton still look utter dross and don't look like improving much so should have that safety net for a while. Hopefully same applies for QOS next week too.

Hamilton are 2 points above us. To be a safety net they really need to be below us. 

3 minutes ago, North British said:

Our window priority’s have to be left centre half , 2 x experienced  midfielders and a new striker ,either at no 9 or no 10 ....If we are ambitious and aggressive in the market we should be ok . If we go down the youth loans path we struggle somewhat ....

Not just making excuses pre window but January isn't normally the window that wholesale, headline grabbing changes are made in. It's usually short term stop gap type of deals that you get.

I don't see it changing that much for us.

It's sticking fingers in the dyke time and getting through to the end of the season with our Championship status still intact hopefully. Then getting a new permanent manager in as well........

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Not just making excuses pre window but January isn't normally the window that wholesale, headline grabbing changes are made in. It's usually short term stop gap type of deals that you get.

I don't see it changing that much for us.

It's sticking fingers in the dyke time and getting through to the end of the season with our Championship status still intact hopefully. Then getting a new permanent manager in as well........

Would suit us no? Do you really want to be allowing Duffy to throw about one and two year deals?

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Would suit us no? Do you really want to be allowing Duffy to throw about one and two year deals?

It would definitely suit us but it was more in reply at NB who said that younger loan type signings might not be what we need. I think it's likely what we're going to get.

We're our own worse enemies for not having a permanent manager in place. I never really bought the suggestion that the new guy's lined up and somehow will be responsible for signings in this window.

For a variety of reasons this season is a total write off.