The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

31 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Duffy has had next to no time to do this , need to see what he intends to do in a few weeks 

That's a worrying statement. Giving this man 2 season defining games, the Ayrshire derby plus a window to attract "players" could well prove costly. 

Should David Smith back Duffy then what he should be saying is not to bring in a old pals act I.e Tam O'Ware for example. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The current manager is working with NO players he signed , you can’t judge a manager who is working with a bag of spanner’s when it’s a couple of screwdriver that’s required to get the job done , let’s see who he looks at bringing in 

He's been working with them since pre season, and the defence specifically, so not entirely blameless. And his transfer history is about as honking as Hopkin's, I don't think anyone is holding out much hope for that.

11 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The current manager is working with NO players he signed , you can’t judge a manager who is working with a bag of spanner’s when it’s a couple of screwdriver that’s required to get the job done , let’s see who he looks at bringing in 

There is a degree of truth in this.

However, he has a limited squad. In such circumstances you would work on attacking set pieces. We are dreadful at freekicks or corners. Equally, you'd work on defending them. We concede more from high cross balls than I can remember (maybe the Queens guy can count for us). His tactics are unreal as evidenced by our 1st half v 2nd half performances. His prior transfer dealings are also dreadful.

The body of evidence is that he won't get it right. His rounding on the fans is utter desperation on his part to deflect the responsibility for performances.

The guy is toast. I'm up for a charity bet if we go down with Duffy or he gets sacked I win, if he keeps us up you win (and I win too tbf as we stay up). I win either way in truth. 🤣

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

People wanting a match preview isn't a big ask mate. 

Don’t recall saying otherwise.  It’s the level of bile and nonsense that’s a bit of a concern.  We had folk losing their minds yesterday over something Duffy didn’t even say.  Now we have folk getting their knickers in a twist over a very necessary statement being issued, the grievance being that the rest of our social media output isn’t good enough.  Finlay21 has done a pretty good job of explaining the situation.  I don’t know why our social media has gone to shit, but it sounds like it’s a combination of volunteers not being available anymore and the fact the club has been running without a commercial manager for 4 months.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the club just now, on and off the park, but picking fights over nothing isn’t helping anyone. 

11 minutes ago, HMIP said:

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the club just now, on and off the park, but picking fights over nothing isn’t helping anyone

You're like a reformed character. What have you done with the real HMIP? 

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Hamilton, QoS then a run of Raith, Thistle, Killie, Arbroath, which would take us up to the 8th of January. 6 points out the first 2 is absolutely vital for us.

And that's being very very optimistic. If we start with the two players who scored on Saturday, as opposed to bringing them on in the second half, there's a chance 👍

Can't understand why Afolabi would get a start at all 🤔 made no impact at all, whatsoever. I think Adeloye and Bradley would have done better with more time. 

One of the infuriating parts of Hopkins early days was him trying to absolve himself of any responsibility if we got relegated because it wasn’t his squad. There wasn’t much he could do until he had a clear out and brought in winners and leaders. We know what happened next.

Now Duffy, who has not improved us 1 % since he took over, despite wanting to make us hard to beat….Needs to bring in his own players because he didn’t sign any of this squad and he needs to bring his own players in.

absolute horseshite 

He’ll not bring in any players capable of saving us and he’ll be gone before the spring.

We’ll get another manager who “can’t get a tune out of someone else’s squad” 

We have the the second worst defence in the league and have scored the second least amount of goals and have made absolutely no inroads in the last 10 games to fix it.

Duffy hasn’t improved us and has made some areas worse. 

Unless Smith is going to finance a rebuild like St Mirren had under Jack Ross, the purgatory we are currently in will continue for another 18 months 

30 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t recall saying otherwise.  It’s the level of bile and nonsense that’s a bit of a concern.  We had folk losing their minds yesterday over something Duffy didn’t even say.  Now we have folk getting their knickers in a twist over a very necessary statement being issued, the grievance being that the rest of our social media output isn’t good enough.  Finlay21 has done a pretty good job of explaining the situation.  I don’t know why our social media has gone to shit, but it sounds like it’s a combination of volunteers not being available anymore and the fact the club has been running without a commercial manager for 4 months.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the club just now, on and off the park, but picking fights over nothing isn’t helping anyone. 

I actually largely agree with this and I'll say that one of the most frustrating things about the last year has been how much in fighting and arguing there has been amongst our fans on here. We're not all going to agree but the atmosphere at games has been a mixture of toxic and apathetic which is something we've not seen since Mark Roberts was in charge. This is partly why I said last night that what we could do with is a bit of a fresh start in the summer and the chance for the fans, management and board to all be on the same page about what we want to achieve. That isn't going to happen anytime soon however and I can foresee the next few months being pretty hellish in terms of fans being more and more unhappy with the way things are being run and the club continuing to bury their heads in the sand. 

I've said it before, but David Smith hasn't been in charge for a year and he's already facing more flak from the fans than Cameron ever did and I'd say he was a pretty divisive figure in our support. The guy desperately needs to get the next few decisions spot on in terms of stuff on the park and that includes backing Duffy in January regardless of how shit a manager he may be and then at the end of the season make the decision to part ways with him and appoint someone who from the get go the fans can get behind and who knows what they're doing. I'll always support a new manager coming in until I feel that they've had their time but it was incredibly difficult to get behind David Hopkin when it was so obvious of how bad a job he did at Morton. Compounding that with the way that we never really improved last season under him and then the shambles that he made of the recruitment over the summer. If Smith sacked Duffy tomorrow I can't say I'd be delighted as I know we're just going to be stuck with another uninspiring choice who'll fail to get much more out of this current crop of players. I'm not in some sort of "Duffy In" camp but I really do not see the merit in rolling the dice again and most likely ending up with someone like Brain Rice or Stuart Kettlewell. I really don't see it making a difference. 

The only thing we can do right now is hope to god Duffy brings in a couple of signings which will give us the edge over Morton and QOS and then hope Smith makes the decision to not keep the guy on next season. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

There is a degree of truth in this.

However, he has a limited squad. In such circumstances you would work on attacking set pieces. We are dreadful at freekicks or corners. Equally, you'd work on defending them. We concede more from high cross balls than I can remember (maybe the Queens guy can count for us). His tactics are unreal as evidenced by our 1st half v 2nd half performances. His prior transfer dealings are also dreadful.

The body of evidence is that he won't get it right. His rounding on the fans is utter desperation on his part to deflect the responsibility for performances.

The guy is toast. I'm up for a charity bet if we go down with Duffy or he gets sacked I win, if he keeps us up you win (and I win too tbf as we stay up). I win either way in truth. 🤣

I would rather Duffy was out sooner than end of season , I in no way back him , don’t like his team selection, think his body language at games is poor , other managers seem to be either giving encouragement or demanding more of their players on the touchline when ours looks like he is waiting at a bus stop and just flaps his arms around , If Duffy stays to end of season he must pull a few rabbits out the bag very early in January 

25 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

his body language at games is poor

Correct. I'm sure he was more vocal in the caretaker spell but against Albion Rovers he seemed to spend most of his time being propped up by the dugout. Same with Timmins who spent most of that game chatting to Fjortoft and Maxwell once he was subbed. The feeling I get is the coaching team only stayed as they had nowhere else to go as Hopkin took the huff but had he been successful and got poached then they'd have no doubt followed him quick enough then. Worry would be it's job to them and each loss has no impact on them and they've no desire needed for a relegation battle.       

Out of interest, where did the O'Ware rumour come from? Seemed to be a bit out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago. If he is a genuine target and not just a name being flung about then surely the Smith should be putting the foot down. 

Smith will be seeing the same as the rest of us but, his job ultimately is to balance the books and keep the lights on. There must be a line in the sand somewhere for him that he knows he can either a) Back or b) Punt the manager and backroom team. We don't know what their contracts look like or what clauses they have managed to sneak in. If we get into a situation where crowds are at late Roberts era I reckon he will pick option B. If Duffy comes to him with some plausible targets for sign off he may buy some time, but I don't think it would be alot if the targets show zero sign of improvements to results. 

December is going to be a very long month for the chairman, as the atmosphere in the stands will only continue to get worse if results show no sign of improvement. Friday may very well be a pretty low crowd with the game on TV. 

If you look at the Roberts era. We had a manager that just wasn’t up to it but his contract was performance based. Cameron allowed mediocrity as the low bar and we had to endure months of dross until we crossed the threshold to shite, for a sustained period of time before Cameron could sack him without paying him off.

I would imagine (I’m not in the know) that Duffy will have a remit that is to keep us in the league. For which he’ll get a bonus, or a bigger bonus if he gets us in to the promotion play-offs. I doubt he’ll have a performance clause in his contract like Roberts because it’s not his team and they were dugshite when he took over.

Would Smith pay off Duffy and his 2 coaches and potentially bring in 4-6 new players in January? That would cost him in excess of £100k at a guess. That’s a lot of pints at the Hub.

I would think that he is hoping that other teams can out-shite us or Duffy can bore teams in to drawing 6 out of 10 games so that we can remain a championship team next season. 

That means that we would have a new manager next year and two or three signed players. A complete rebuild under a new manager, trying to attract players to a team that has been dreadful for 3 years. 
These new signings would require signing on fees etc so I’m not sure it is the cheapest option to keep Duffy on and then sign 15 players in the summer. 

31 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Would Smith pay off Duffy and his 2 coaches and potentially bring in 4-6 new players in January? That would cost him in excess of £100k at a guess. That’s a lot of pints at the Hub.

There is a 50k difference between finishing 10th in the Championship - 175k / 1st L1 - 125k (based on the 2020 pot). L1 will be a difficult place and that prize pot drops off rapidly. If you finish outside of the promotion playoffs you are look at 82.5k or lower. This is obviously the minimum values as I'm sure it won't have gone down. It is very easy to see where that £100k could come from if we are staring at relegation. 

38 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you look at the Roberts era. We had a manager that just wasn’t up to it but his contract was performance based. Cameron allowed mediocrity as the low bar and we had to endure months of dross until we crossed the threshold to shite, for a sustained period of time before Cameron could sack him without paying him off.

I would imagine (I’m not in the know) that Duffy will have a remit that is to keep us in the league. For which he’ll get a bonus, or a bigger bonus if he gets us in to the promotion play-offs. I doubt he’ll have a performance clause in his contract like Roberts because it’s not his team and they were dugshite when he took over.

I would think that he is hoping that other teams can out-shite us or Duffy can bore teams in to drawing 6 out of 10 games so that we can remain a championship team next season. 

That means that we would have a new manager next year and two or three signed players. A complete rebuild under a new manager, trying to attract players to a team that has been dreadful for 3 years. 
These new signings would require signing on fees etc so I’m not sure it is the cheapest option to keep Duffy on and then sign 15 players in the summer. 

I think the out-shite approach will be the one that is taken. Timing would be difficult to get the right person plus all the knock on events aligned if he was desperate to stay up.  If he thought we were done or willing to start from scratch regardless of outcome then that would be an option. 

Whilst this team is completely rancid there is still an arguement around the balance of the squad. A couple of new faces mid to top of the pitch may well be enough to improve slightly. Morton and Hamilton seem to have their own problems probably due to a lack of cash. Not sure how much a new manager at Morton will change either. Hamilton seem to relying on youth who can play well on occasion but leak goals too easily. Suppose it all depends on who Duffy can bring along in January but again his track record here is patchy. Considering his length of time in the game you would think he has some good contacts

13 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Correct. I'm sure he was more vocal in the caretaker spell but against Albion Rovers he seemed to spend most of his time being propped up by the dugout. Same with Timmins who spent most of that game chatting to Fjortoft and Maxwell once he was subbed. The feeling I get is the coaching team only stayed as they had nowhere else to go as Hopkin took the huff but had he been successful and got poached then they'd have no doubt followed him quick enough then. Worry would be it's job to them and each loss has no impact on them and they've no desire needed for a relegation battle.       

Was he still caretaker for the Dunfermline game? I can remember him roaring at Salkeld. I could hear it from the North Terrace. It seemed to work as Salkelkd played a blinder. I've not heard him yelling at the players since though.

One of the coaching team was shouting at the players up at Arbroath as I was in the stand so could hear it. It definitely wasn't Duffy though as the guy was quite slight. 

Edited by Trogdor