The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Trogdor said:

He didn't say it like it is. That's my issue. Morton are in just bad shape as us yet we shouldn't expect to beat them. If not Morton then who Jim? Who will we actually try to beat? 

He's done.

Someone look out his pipe and slippers as it's time he was put out to pasture.

That’s not even close to what he said.  

Not even close.

14 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t see the point of turning Duffy into some kind of pantomime villain.  I think he’s basically a decent guy and an experienced manager who is as frustrated as anyone with the mess he’s inherited from Hopkin.  What do folk expect him to say?  If he talks us up he’ll be accused of being delusional, if he says it like it is, he is accused of having no ambition.  

The reality is that there won’t be many changes to the squad in January so he knows he’ll have to broadly work with what he’s got - putting the boot into the team won’t help if they down tools on him.  Having a wee pop at the fans isn’t a great idea, but was probably said in the heat of the moment, though it’s undeniable there is a pretty toxic atmosphere at the moment which seems to have spread to the away support who are generally more supportive of the team.

I am sure he is a nice guy and an experienced manager, but if you look at his last 3 jobs in particular, They provided turgid, uninspired football and his recruitment was poor. Those 3 jobs span 10 years so it is obvious that he is not a manager to lead a Championship, of perhaps even a league 1 team. He retired himself at the end of last season. 

He said after the Partick game that the players needed to show a reaction, they did and we got pumped 3-0. We went 2 games without forcing a keeper to make a save. 

He played Moffat once this season, he was missing from matchday squads. He brings him in for the Albion Rovers game and Moffat provides exactly what we were missing. Duffy makes out that it was some kind of tactical masterstroke to bring him back in and it was all down to him.

He continues to play Afolabi, the worst player in possibly the last 10 years to pull on an Ayr jersey while we have Moffat and McKenzie sitting in the stand. 

All of these things, Duffy could improve on, setting up to try and win a game or playing the best team available rather than sticking with the guff we have been, playing midfielders in midfield and trying to get a balance rather than making one up with spare defenders. 

He doesn't but has a go at the fans for having a go at the players. 

We haven't won in 7 games, we have the worst form in the league, the second worst goals for and the second worst goals against in the league (the worst in both are different clubs) but we shouldn't have a go at the manager, the manager said we shouldn't have a go at the players. Who should we have a go at? or should we just accept the slide into league one and beyond?

If they were to get rid of Duffy who would folk want in as new manager on SRE on fb its the same old same old names MacIntyre to Peter Houston(that's just a couple of the names  mentioned if they were that good why aren't they in a job the now). 

Remember folk were enquiring about the possibility of putting the club into a state of "dormancy" to save as much money as possible during the pandemic?

Any chance we can do that until the end of the season?

These useless c***s are taking us down anyway. Might as well do it in the least damaging way possible.

4 minutes ago, Allyk said:

If they were to get rid of Duffy who would folk want in as new manager on SRE on fb its the same old same old names MacIntyre to Peter Houston(that's just a couple of the names  mentioned if they were that good why aren't they in a job the now). 

It’s not the fans job to pick a new manger 

ETA: Jim Duffy can f**k off anytime he likes. The atmosphere at HT was toxic and there’s no coming back from that 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I wasn’t aware that “subtext” means making up shit that people didn’t actually say.  

It really isn’t hard to work out from the tone of his voice, he was absolutely amazed that anyone could possibly expect we should be winning that game. A real confidence booster for the players too. 

His comments about the fans, are frankly disgraceful. I’ll accept an apology, in the way of him not picking a team like an utter fucking moron. 

7 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I wasn’t aware that “subtext” means making up shit that people didn’t actually say.  

Okay so if I take him literally (as you seem to). He said something akin to the below:

I can't believe the fans expect us to run over the top of Morton at Cappielow it's a tough place to come and Morton are resilient.

Just by a show of hands were any of us expecting to skelp Morton? I expect that would be an overwhelming no.

Why did Duffy come out with the above then? He must be deluded? Or wait for it, he thinks the fans had unrealistic expectations over winning the game.

It's not hard to work out. The point still stands - if not Morton, then who will we beat Jim?

In terms of what Duffy said he was right up to a point but the way he came across saying it was all wrong. 

It's as if he almost took exception to Calum's question of "The players seemed to look a bit nervous in the first half", which btw any players in the situation they are in just now are 100% going to be nervous as they're shot of confidence and scared to make a wrong pass incase they get pelters from the fans or it leads to conceding a goal. Back to the question though which as i said he seemed to want to defend the players profoundly which makes me also think that behind the scenes at the club between players and coaching staff they actually complain to each other about why the fans are giving them stick??

All very bizarre and shows that Duffy clearly isn't coping very well or there's bigger issues behind the scenes, there was still no need for him to go off about the divine right thing as that was asked at no point by Calum, he asked a straight forward question and got that bizarre response. 

Just now yes of course we know we're not guaranteed to go and beat a team like Morton but considering we went there and pumped them 5-1 a few years ago then yes expectations are higher.

The bigger picture here is that fans expectations are now set at the high of when we had McCall but as far as it looks the clubs ambition is the same that it has been for the last 10-15 years of being yo-yo fodder. Which means we're seeing this yawning chasm of a divide beginning to take place between supporters and club.

Time will tell what happens....

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

ETA: Jim Duffy can f**k off anytime he likes. The atmosphere at HT was toxic and there’s no coming back from that 

That was my first away game in nearly 2 years yesterday and that's the loudest amount of booing I've heard in a long time. Of course it was probably inflicted with the team going past the fans at HT.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We are in a very different position now than we were back then. I'm quite sure if Duffy was managing a team with the talents of Kerr, Kelly, Forrest, McCowan and Harvie then he'd be saying different about todays game. 

I can say with complete confidence that with the team right now, I would not simply expect us to beat any team in Scotland. I went to Somerset last week knowing there was a good chance Albion Rovers could beat us and on another day they would've. Thats not me being unambitious but simply aware of how bad we are. Duffy can't really say much else in interviews besides the usual of "the players are trying, no easy games, we're trying to improve". Those cliches are very frustrating but I'm not expecting a whole lot more from him right now. 

I agree with much of your last paragraph and it's a realistic assessment. I do think however there are maybe three teams where we have a chance of a result. His team selection , attitude and answers should perhaps alter for those games. If anything it was probably his starting team that hindered us most yesterday. On the plus side we seem to be getting nearer the transfer window and still not isolated at the bottom. Not sure what the transfer window will bring but it's about our best hope of staying up.

58 minutes ago, Allyk said:

Scottish football management seems to be the same old names being shuffled about and recycled to kick start their careers again. Many of the suitable candidates won't appeal to many of the fans. Likewise if you try and find an upcoming manager questions will also be asked.  Perhaps a few more will leave in the coming weeks that might find their way onto any short list

Edited by AyrExile

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Not sure what the transfer window will bring but it's about our best hope of staying up.

It seems like Ayrs only hope. Yesterday was plain awful. This team is nothing but a joke. Think I'd only keep Moffat, Adeloye and O'Connor from yesterday, the rest can feck off.

The worrying thing for me was, when we were 1-0 down, Ayr were sat in 10th position, bottom of the league. Ayr were very lucky to get two goals and simply very unfortunate that both Baird and McGinty were in defence. My gran could play better.

Duffy's comments however, slightly peeved me. Do I believe that Ayr should be going to Cappielow and getting a win? Absolutely. However, I answer with Heart over head.

My fingers are crossed that Morton hire Hopkin as manager again. Probably won't happen. What a laugh it would be though. That way we might say goodbye to a few of our appalling wage thieving players, as they travel up the west coast to get back with Papa Hoofball Hopkin 😂

There is a difference between a fan saying that Ayr have no right to beat team X (which is sensible and humble) and the fucking manager doing it. The fan's only influence is to make appropriate noises from the stand. An actually good football manager might have been able to identify over the course of multiple months how to win a game against another of the league's many, many jobbers.

I don't expect a decision to be made before the window, because the club has no fucking interest in deciding anything that isn't related to the ground extension. And I honestly have to congratulate the club for managing to make "installing a bar at the ground" synonymous with dismal failure. They might as well name it the Hopkin Hub.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Duffy's interview is even worse when you consider it is the only medium that the club are communicating with fans at the moment. 

It has confirmed that my season ticket will go unused, and I’ll watch from the comfort of my own home on Friday. 

The club don’t deserve our support at the moment. I’ll never abuse or boo at games, ( others are entitled to boo at the moment) but they have done nothing to earn our support. It works both ways.